Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Linked brakes will we be able to retrofit

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2013 | 06:00 PM
24v
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by lizdc
I have a 2011 deluxe with ABS not much has changed on the deluxe in forever so the 11 and the 14 are basically the same. That said I don't think they offer linked on this years softails just touring just like they released abs first on touring. I guess we will see but it is interesting to know if it can be done.
I know not much has changed, but the abs modules could be different from year to year. Electronics become outdated much faster than most parts on a motorcycle.

Old 09-24-2013 | 06:06 PM
24v
Elite HDF Member

The other issue you may run into is that the 12 and newer bikes are can bus systems. Your bike is not. So the computer will be different and won't likely be able to swap firmware.

Old 09-24-2013 | 06:16 PM
glasscannon
Banned

I'd hate linked brakes i think....i use the the rear and front brakes with different pressures and different times for different functions when carving twisties and agressive riding

Old 09-24-2013 | 10:31 PM
Prot
Club Member
Veteran: Navy
Riders Club Member

I think retrofitting would be prohibitively expensive. Anything can be done. It 's just a matter of how money you want to spend.

Personally, I don't think linked brakes or abs have any place on a motorcycle, especially a Harley. It's like if you don't know how to properly use the brakes, then don't ride a bike or learn how to really ride.

I am not against improvements such as the move from drum brakes to disk brakes, but leave me in control.

I guess different people like different things. It's all the more reason to keep my evo.

My post is not meant to offend anybody, but to simply make a point.

Old 09-25-2013 | 12:05 AM
Fatbob usmc EOD
Road Master

I just don't think Harley will do it. You can't add ABS to a bike that didn't come with it even though it really wouldn't require all that much to do it relatively speaking. It's one of those things that Harley can use to lure people in to buy new bikes.

Old 09-25-2013 | 06:12 AM
lizdc
|
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by Prot
I think retrofitting would be prohibitively expensive. Anything can be done. It 's just a matter of how money you want to spend.

Personally, I don't think linked brakes or abs have any place on a motorcycle, especially a Harley. It's like if you don't know how to properly use the brakes, then don't ride a bike or learn how to really ride.

I am not against improvements such as the move from drum brakes to disk brakes, but leave me in control.

I guess different people like different things. It's all the more reason to keep my evo.

My post is not meant to offend anybody, but to simply make a point.
A safety feature that helps in unforeseen situations is a good thing to me and for anyone who doesn't like it well you don't have to buy it.

I am a good rider and ride a lot but I wouldn't have bought a new bike without ABS. In fact it was all I cared about with my new bike which is why in nov of 11 I got a left over 11 with abs and a 96 motor vs a 12 with a 103. I cared about ABS not a slightly bigger motor. If ABS wasn't an option then I wouldn't have traded my sporty and she would now have 42000 miles on her vs the 27k I put on her in two years. And likely if my only option to get linked brakes and abs is a new bike then in a few years it will be the ONLY thing that gets me to trade my bike for a new deluxe with linked brakes with ABS.

And many if you are right they know that it a feature that will get some of us to trade so likely it won't be possible. Pisses me off but I guess it will likely mean I will get a new bike down the line. But I am holding out hope I can just add it.

Old 09-26-2013 | 10:59 PM
Prot
Club Member
Riders Club Member

Originally Posted by lizdc
A safety feature that helps in unforeseen situations is a good thing to me and for anyone who doesn't like it well you don't have to buy it.
I guess what I am getting at is I would prefer if the ABS and the linked brakes on the new bikes were optional and not standard, giving me more choices. Let me choose to not have those things on a new bike and let you choose to have those things on a new bike, and on a used one.

I guess I am just a dinosaur.

I don't see what would stop you from purchasing all the components from a new bike that is equipped with linked brakes and installing them on yours, other than immense cost. It's not like trying to buy a water cooling system to fit on your 2011.

That has me thinking about a funny idea. How about a leather jacket that not only has vents, but has cool water circulating through it so it actually cools you.

Old 09-28-2013 | 08:26 AM
fcsallan
Road Warrior

I know why people would want it, I just don't like it. The next thing that the same people will want is an automatic transmission because it removes the need to think about coming to a stop or it allows lesser coordinated people to ride. Not me. I want the best and most attentive riders on the road. Yes, there is more to know and do while riding to be safe, but that is part of the fun for me. Even in cages, I prefer a 6 speed to an auto, I pull the antilock brake fuse to gain more control etc. The more you add to a system, the more that you depend on and the more risk you put yourself in if one of the many systems fail. Expense, complexity and a lackadaisical mentality are all you get by adding all of these "features" to your ride.

If you like it, go for it, add it yourself. It is out there on many vehicles, just find the design that will work and adapt it to YOUR bike. I wouldn't count on a kit that allows anyone to just bolt it on though.

Old 09-28-2013 | 10:12 AM
kwo51
Outstanding HDF Member

I just get tired of the back up alarm going off all the time on my Ultra.

Old 09-28-2013 | 11:12 AM
Prot
Club Member
Riders Club Member

Originally Posted by kwo51
I just get tired of the back up alarm going off all the time on my Ultra.
Holy crap. I didn't even know they had a backup alarm, much less a reverse gear on those.

My hair's turning white, my neck's always been red, my collar's still blue.

Quick Reply: Linked brakes will we be able to retrofit