Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ordered V&H slip-ons. Do I need to re-tune?

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2013, 02:02 PM
dmlogs0
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ordered V&H slip-ons. Do I need to re-tune?

I just ordered some Vance & Hines twin slash slip-ons for my '13 Breakout. Do I need to have a fuel management system and re-tune at this point or is that just necessary after upgrading the air intake?

Old 09-17-2013, 02:22 PM
TheTroupe
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dmlogs0
I just ordered some Vance & Hines twin slash slip-ons for my '13 Breakout. Do I need to have a fuel management system and re-tune at this point or is that just necessary after upgrading the air intake?

No now...

Wait until you do the intake.

Old 09-17-2013, 02:58 PM
BMM48
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

By no means do I mean any offence but I think we must be getting close to needing a sticky on this subject so people have something to refer too.... this same question comes up every week.

And for an answer... what TheTroupe said

Old 09-17-2013, 03:15 PM
dave13smr
Advanced
Default re-tune

if that's all your doing you don't have to. I would putt on a high flow air cleaner, and get a dynojet power vision. this will wake up the bike and cool it down.

Old 09-18-2013, 01:16 AM
fatboy67
2nd Gear

No tune needed for slips. But a world of difference when you add a breather, pipes and a tuner.

Old 09-18-2013, 05:35 AM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 819 Likes on 805 Posts

Originally Posted by dmlogs0
NO, and NO. if U don't do anything else, just a down load will also work. Some are not changing anything even with pipes and AC mods on the newer bikes. But U'll still be running epa lean, which makes a hotter running motor vs a tuner motor.

Last edited by oct1949; 09-18-2013 at 05:50 AM.
Old 09-18-2013, 06:04 AM
504ENGINEER
Advanced

Originally Posted by fatboy67
No tune needed for slips. But a world of difference when you add a breather, pipes and a tuner.
Might as well clarify for changing the pipes also cause you know that's coming next.

Old 09-18-2013, 10:53 AM
shopewell
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I may catch a little heat for this but I disagree. Here's why. The factory settings on these new 103s is already super lean. Even a minor change like a slip on, you're going to lean the bike out even more. And as far as I know, the V&H slip ons don't have cats so you're removing the cat to boot, right? Not knocking on HD (but I kinda am), I'd almost recommend putting a tuner on the stock engine let alone one with any modifications no matter how small.

Here was my experience with the V&H slip ons. I put them on my slim before I drove it off the dealer lot. From the beginning, the bike ran super hot and popped like crazy. Tuner and the air cleaner changed all that. My mechanic at work was saying how the bike running pre-tuner could potentially be doing damage to the engine.

I know everyone says, wait until you change that air cleaner, etc. but I would say save yourself a little headache and put a decent tuner on right off the bat. You can change setting as you add and your bike will run well from the get-go.

Old 09-18-2013, 11:02 AM
jam436
Supporter
Received 72 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by shopewell
I may catch a little heat for this but I disagree. Here's why. The factory settings on these new 103s is already super lean. Even a minor change like a slip on, you're going to lean the bike out even more. And as far as I know, the V&H slip ons don't have cats so you're removing the cat to boot, right? Not knocking on HD (but I kinda am), I'd almost recommend putting a tuner on the stock engine let alone one with any modifications no matter how small.

Here was my experience with the V&H slip ons. I put them on my slim before I drove it off the dealer lot. From the beginning, the bike ran super hot and popped like crazy. Tuner and the air cleaner changed all that. My mechanic at work was saying how the bike running pre-tuner could potentially be doing damage to the engine.

I know everyone says, wait until you change that air cleaner, etc. but I would say save yourself a little headache and put a decent tuner on right off the bat. You can change setting as you add and your bike will run well from the get-go.
Makes sense and it certainly wouldn't hurt, because you know nobody stops at just slip-ons...