Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2008 Night Train with 9.4k mies and front wheel bearings trash

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2013 | 08:39 AM
Imold
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army

Ditto on pressure washing, keep it away from the wheel bearings - any bearings for that matter. I got a set of All *****, and was surprised to see they packaged the same Chinese made bearings some other companies are using, but user reports are that they hold up ok. I pulled the seals on them to check the grease (always do that, have run into a few bearings that didn't get any grease in them, but I've changed thousands of bearings, too) and they looked adequate. I think that's a wise move, getting the tool for Harley bearings, some of them are really, really! tight, and it doesn't damage the wheel getting them out. I coat the outside of the bearing with anti-seize, too, won't make the bearing slip unless the wheel is already dangerously worn out, and helps prevent galling the aluminum wheel and corrosion (can be a problem anytime you put steel and aluminum together). I also rotate the bearings by hand to spread the grease - they often come from the factory with grease on one side but not spread around - the All ***** were like this, and you could feel the difference when the grease coated the *****; just eliminates that little bit of dry metal to metal contact for the first couple revolutions of the wheel.

Old 09-08-2013 | 09:08 AM
cwsharp
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by 1004ron
I could hear noise from my front wheel and when manoeuvring at parking lot speed I could feel a pretty bad grinding/vibration, more noticeable with the bars turned sharp right.

I bought new tires, bearings and bearing tool, and got the wheels off and changed the bearings today ready to take the wheels to Cycle Gear tomorrow morning for tire change and balancing.

The front wheel bearings had discharged loads of grease and the rubber seals were loose - the right side bearing feels really rough, which I was not expecting with mileage as low as 9.4k
I have read a number of reports that HD have been using very poor quality cheap bearings, or had a bad batch - must of been one helluva large batch - wonder if they are still using cr@p bearings from this bad batch?

The rear bearings had discharge a little grease but felt smooth - they are the same type and size so of course they were also changed.

The bearings tool cost $88 and worked great - I used All ***** bearings, which appear to be much better than OEM cr@p with fairly good reviews.
Whose tool did you buy?

Old 09-08-2013 | 12:54 PM
1004ron
|
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by cwsharp
Whose tool did you buy?
This one off eBay.
It worked perfectly and I cannot see what's behind the big price difference of those selling for around $300

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HARLEY-DAVID...6de691&vxp=mtr

I got the All ***** bearings here:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/161069066294...84.m1439.l2649

Last edited by 1004ron; 09-08-2013 at 12:56 PM.
Old 09-08-2013 | 09:02 PM
m i k e
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by Wide_Open
Well I hope I don't have that to look forward to on my 08.
so far thankfully u n me have not had a problem, but im going pro-active
changing out real real soon
i have read many many threads now of this failure on 08 softys
to concern me, i have also read the noise it makes so i know what to watch for
im goin with timkens gotta find that thread now

Old 09-08-2013 | 09:49 PM
Imold
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army

Originally Posted by 1004ron
This one off eBay.
It worked perfectly and I cannot see what's behind the big price difference of those selling for around $300

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HARLEY-DAVID...6de691&vxp=mtr

I got the All ***** bearings here:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/161069066294...84.m1439.l2649
Looks like a Pit Posse bearing puller/installer; that's what I have, works great. That would be a cheap price for a Pit Posse. I grease the threads and washers where the nut turn against them, seems to make it a little easier. Considering what wheels cost, they're a good investment if you change your own bearings. I'm not thrilled that the All ***** bearings are just packaged common chinese bearings (Chinese company, who knows where they're actually made), but they are double sealed on both sides, with a beefier cage inside than some I've seen.

Old 09-08-2013 | 09:56 PM
Rodzilla6
Road Warrior

Do a search on here...since 2008 lots of bearing failures, premature, and it's not from car washes...I have been there multiple times, first failure at 7k (brand new bike...), second at 7k later at 65 mph, almost crashed, did 1200 bucks damage to the bike...not funny...True story, at the dealer when they were fixing my second failure the mechanic showed me the "new" replacement bearing and HE mentioned that it already had rust on it and would fail, then went to put it in...After they fixed all the damage including the belt under warr., I immediately had them changed to Timken bearings by my indept. mechanic. All ***** makes good ones also. A whole set for front and back are about 25 bucks and 50 total for install, cheap insurance. Someone said on the forum that they pried open a brand new factory one and it had almost NO grease...When I am doing 110 mph speed runs "at the track", I want to know my wheels are not going to fail...1 hour before my failure at 65 mph, I had been "at the track" in a serious way...

Old 09-11-2013 | 07:46 AM
1004ron
|
Road Warrior
Default I can see clearly now ........

Cycle Gear installed my new tires and needed to attach 3 X 1/4oz weights to each wheel, which didn't look pretty.

When I bought my NT at 6.5K it had no balance weights on at all - being unfamiliar with the bike, I didn't know what to expect and thought the blurry vision at highway speeds was typical vibration and wind buffetting, ....... , well as soon as I got above 50 mph with the new balanced tires I realised how smooth it can be.

Last night I added the Dyna Beads and removed the weights, and this mornings ride to work on the interstate at 70 ~ 80 mph was silky smooth.

Old 11-09-2013 | 09:09 PM
acman308
Road Master

Noticed a front end wobble on decel Thursday night between 50~40.
Dealer found rear wheel bearing shot first (didn't fix wobble) then found neck bearing shot. Bike has little over 27k miles on it.

Old 11-10-2013 | 08:53 AM
cwsharp
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by acman308
Noticed a front end wobble on decel Thursday night between 50~40.
Dealer found rear wheel bearing shot first (didn't fix wobble) then found neck bearing shot. Bike has little over 27k miles on it.
I have some serious doubts about that "fix".

However, the bushings on the springers do go in about 25k or so I believe.

Unless the neck bearings were improperly installed, it just doesn't make sense.

C#

Old 11-10-2013 | 09:13 AM
Rodzilla6
Road Warrior

The stock bearings are junk...I had 2 failures, 1st at 6k, then 7k later at 65 mph. Had them changed to timkens. all ***** are good also. The second failure did 1200 bucks worth of other damage besides almost making me crash...They are inexpensive to change and cheap insurance...

Quick Reply: 2008 Night Train with 9.4k mies and front wheel bearings trash