Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Going to buy 1st Harley! 1st timer questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2005, 12:35 AM
Firefox
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Going to buy 1st Harley! 1st timer questions

I from Minnesota but I just bought an 06 Night-Train and absulutly love it. Had a 02 Sporty 1200 custom before man night and day differance. the dealer give me 15% off clothing and bike accs. bought that day and 10% off the same for a year after.
Have fun your going to love the ride.

Old 08-26-2005, 01:01 AM
toadmanor
Road Captain

Hey FireFox, I also in Minnesota what dealer do you use?

Old 08-26-2005, 10:46 AM
Reno
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I did get it for MSRP and I do get a discount on accessories.

Old 08-26-2005, 11:02 AM
jlacasci
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi and welcome, I'm a proud new owner myself and I hear you on the security thing. I've had bikes for just about 26 years now (never a Harley) so never worried much about security I drive an 05 Ultra now with lots of goodies on her. Here's what I found out about security from the good folks on this forum. Also, great place to learn so ask away:

1. I wasn't worried so much leaving the bike around my house or work, I work at a college and there's always folks around. The
bike came with a factory alarm system. So I always alarm it when I'm away from the bike. I also added the siren to the bike.
I don't know if your model can take the siren or not. I also programmed my siren to be pretty sensitive, if you move the bike a tiny
bit, it will go off, but the wind or a light touch won't set it off.

2. Another great product (do a search on Xena here or look in product reviews) is the Xena lock. This is a disk lock with a very
audible alarm. It's small, looks great and works very well. This alarm also has a motion detections system on it. I have a very
strong one and purchased a 6.5 foot chain with it. Very nice product. I occasionally use this alarm on the bike as a disk lock if I'm
in a unfamilliar place. When I took the bike down for a trip from MA to NC for several days, I used the chain. Even if I couldn't
get the chain around a pole, I put it around the back tire so the bike couldn't be rolled away too easilly.

3. Finally, while on my trip, I brought an old, dirty, partially torn, non Harley-Davidson bike cover with me from one of my older bikes.
Put this over the bike and no one would expect to find a brand new Harley under it. I also asked the hotel to let me park it where
it was close. I'm a Marriott rewards customer and they let me keep it right up on the sidewalk to the left of the front door. Still out
of patrons way, but close enough that I could sleep at night.

4. If this still isn't enough, Harley and others make a paging system that can be added to some alarms. I don't have one of these but
it is an option.

Hope this helps and enjoy the scoot!!!!

Joe

Old 08-26-2005, 06:55 PM
Firefox
Cruiser

Bergdale (Albert Lea)
ORIGINAL: toadmanor

Hey FireFox, I also in Minnesota what dealer do you use?

Old 08-27-2005, 01:51 AM
RonJohn
Intermediate

Thanks for the great tips, I'll definately check them out.

Man! This forum is great!

Old 08-28-2005, 01:02 AM
RonJohn
Intermediate

Just an update on Orlando HD. Went there today and they still don't let you order a bike, just whatever they happen to get in. So if you want a efi and all they are gettin is carb models you're outta luck. The sales people were considerably less aggresive than the first time I went there. Did find out something interesting though, he said the owner of HD Orlando also owns Harley Credit. Guess he's not hurtin for money. I just still can't believe they wont order bikes for you. I mean the guy was saying they have one of the highest sales per month in the area (120-150) but why does that mean they wont order? Just because they don't have to? Seems they don't really care to much for the customer just the dollar.

Oh by the way, Orlando HD will still do the work (pipes, jets, remaps) on their 2006 models. At leaset according to the sales guy.

Old 09-06-2005, 02:46 AM
Whiskers
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 101 Likes on 46 Posts

Don't be afraid to walk away or shop at other dealers in your area (or the rest of Florida). I visited seven dealers while shopping for the best price and interestingly enough, my local dealer started talking MSRP after I brought in quotes from other shops. They even said they would shop around to find the bike I wanted.

Always keep in mind that you are in charge of your wallet and not them!

Al.

Old 09-06-2005, 03:29 PM
Airborne
Intermediate

In terms of buying accessories...I've heard of a couple of options --- since I just ordered my bike last Thursday I haven't ordered any parts yet -- buy I think I'll try option #1 below.

1)Web site www.surkdyke.com that gives 20% off on Harley parts. I went into the website and yea, all items that I looked up are 20 % off, + tax free (at least for me in California). The only thing they charge is shipping -- but on my 'dummy' order this only came to about 6% -- so not bad. Other guys that I speak to say they buy parts & then bring them to the dealer to install.

2)Two (of the 3 dealers) said they'd give 10% discount. The first dealer said he'd give it only at time of purchase, the second one said 10% off for anything ordered within the first 30 days.

3)Once you buy a bike - you automatically become a member of HOG (at least this is what I here - I'll know soon enough). If I attend a local meeting in my area I can then buy parts at 10% off from the local dealer during the month I've attended. I've heard this from enough guys at my gym that this one is true -- at least in Vallejo, California.

Old 09-11-2005, 11:29 AM
philly_night_train
Intermediate

The NT is a great choice. Great looking bike!! I got an 02 NT back in 3/05. I love it. I don't know what others have told you, but go to the Harley Davidson website and go to their "dealer locator" area. Put in your zip code and it will pull up dealers in your area. I live in Phila., PA. and was dealing with about 10 dealers (no kidding!). Some were great and some I found out were blowing smoke up my ***! I was set on one dealer when I found my used Night Train at a good price with work I wanted to do to it already done (pipes and handlebars). I couldn't pass it up. Take your time, you will find the place that's right for you. Ask if the sell at MSRP. Get a Harley catalog with the bike prices in it. Come right out and ask them "What kind of deal can I get?" One dealer offered me free 1000 and 5000 mile service on a new bike (about $250.00 each). But in the end I went with an 02 NT with just under 5000 miles. It had the 5000 mile service done already. Remember to shop around, you will find a deal.

Quick Reply: Going to buy 1st Harley! 1st timer questions