Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need more leverage

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2013, 05:00 PM
MGN54
Tourer
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Need more leverage

Decided that I would like a handlebar that would give me more leverage than the oem bar on my Night Train. Was wondering if the "comfort" bar set up that HD offers would do it or is there something better out there? I currently have some pull back risers on the bike w the stock bar. I kinda like the stock bar so maybe just a wider bar like it would do the trick, but without the hassle of changing cables/brake lines. Anyone have a suggestion?

TIA

Old 08-27-2013, 05:13 PM
Wide_Open
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 149 Likes on 83 Posts

If you want more leverage you can try a longer drag bar than stock or maybe go for a street slammer bar. The stock drag bar is pretty narrow on the NT. I personally like it that way, all I did for mine was add a set of 8" pullback risers (Tucker Rocky) to make the riding position more comfortable and I was good to go.
The Harley pullback riser and handlebar kit they sell for the NT is ugly in my opinion.

Old 08-27-2013, 09:06 PM
MGN54
Tourer
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks WideOpen! I have 6" pullback risers on it now. I measured the bar and it's right at 27". Was on the Flanders site and they have some flat drag bars that are 33" and 35" wide depending on amount of pullback. I'm thinking that the 33...I think the site actually called it 33.5 might be the one to go with since I already have the pullback on the risers. I'll see if anyone else shares some ideas. I wonder too that if my oem bars were a little closer to me, if that would do it? I just feel like I need more control for cornering and parking lot maneuvers especially when my wife rides with me.

Old 08-27-2013, 09:33 PM
JekyllnHyde
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 250 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by MGN54
Thanks WideOpen! I have 6" pullback risers on it now. I measured the bar and it's right at 27". Was on the Flanders site and they have some flat drag bars that are 33" and 35" wide depending on amount of pullback. I'm thinking that the 33...I think the site actually called it 33.5 might be the one to go with since I already have the pullback on the risers. I'll see if anyone else shares some ideas. I wonder too that if my oem bars were a little closer to me, if that would do it? I just feel like I need more control for cornering and parking lot maneuvers especially when my wife rides with me.
I don't think wider will get you where you want to be. It won't hurt, but sounds like you need more bend in your elbows....more pull back in your bars. That'll help you with cornering. My bars are 33" wide and that's comfortable for me but I'm currently looking for some bars that will give me about 2 to 3 inches more pullback because I currently have very little bend in my elbows causing me to lean forward more than I'd like to (to create more bend in my elbows) in to sharp turns. More pullback will definitely give you more control in turns. You need that bend to push on your bars in sharp turns. You can't push if your arms are straight.

As a test go into a large empty parking lot and scoot yourself forward on the seat to create a more elbow bend.... then do slow speed maneuvers, tight u-turns, figure 8's etc. Then try the same maneuvers sitting back in your normal position. You'll see making those maneuvers are easier while you have more bend in your elbows.

Last edited by JekyllnHyde; 08-27-2013 at 09:39 PM.
Old 08-28-2013, 03:14 PM
back again
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,409 Likes on 2,588 Posts

bars in my sig pig did it for me.Tried wider drags and didn't like it.Like DynaB says a little bend in the elbow makes a world of difference.My bars are 34 wide for your info.8" pullback if I remember.