Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

08 Springer CVO...handlebar question

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2013 | 10:44 AM
irishmil
|
Intermediate
Default 08 Springer CVO...handlebar question

I have an 08 Springer CVO and want to change out the handlebars. I like the feel and ride of the Crossbones setup. Cant find any pics of a CVO with taller bars on them, so I am hoping someone has some pics they can share and/or give a recommendation of a good set up...either taller risers and same bars or something like the Crossbones has...thank you for you time

Old 08-27-2013 | 11:17 AM
rockinred
Road Captain

Originally Posted by irishmil
I have an 08 Springer CVO and want to change out the handlebars. I like the feel and ride of the Crossbones setup. Cant find any pics of a CVO with taller bars on them, so I am hoping someone has some pics they can share and/or give a recommendation of a good set up...either taller risers and same bars or something like the Crossbones has...thank you for you time
irish.... let me try to help you out, but like everything there are so many options and ways you can go about making it yours. You can see a picture of mine on the signature below, but I will just go more into your options on the springers and then maybe you can go from there. I have seen everything everywhere.

Springers have risers that sit on the top adapter plate spread further than any other HD bar risers. The springer are 4 inches apart and the regular hd are 3 inches apart (approximately). The bolts coming off the Springer top plate have a different thread pattern so you can't just bolt up any risers to your springer without changing out the top plate. Which both Arlen Ness and Carlini have for sale. So if you change that out you can go with any bars and any risers you like on the market.

You can try and change out the bolt, but many have broke that bolt because of the way it is when change out with Apes. The original design on the springer risers actually prevent that bolt from breaking from the bars leverage, but it's too hard for me to explain without showing exactly what happens so I don't recommend that route.

So if you don't want to hassle with anything then you have 3 inch high risers on the springers. Most handlebar makers produce what's called "springer" bars. They area the same as any other bars except they are machined to fit on the wider risers. So you can go with that option if you find the bars you want, but I found limited options of "springer" bars.

Also another thing to consider if you do go springer bars is to not forget about the 3 inch tall risers. If you were normally used to running 16's in the past and you buy some 16" "springer" bars, well they will sit at least 2 inches higher than most risers would set them. So don't forget to compensate for that on ride height.

I like more bars and less rise so I went that option of adapter plate. I have Carlini Apes that measure around 15.5 - 16 inches high. They are sold at 14 inches, but they run higher and that's a fact on the 1.5" Carlini bars. So when you look at picture below it is probably a typical 16 inch ape with 1 inch risers.

Sorry for the long post, but I'm trying to help you out! Good luck and congrats on that scoot... Springers are the bomb if you ask me.

Old 08-27-2013 | 11:22 AM
magna
Stellar HDF Member

There's a few Springers with different bars amongst this lot of pics.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=cv...=1024&bih=672#

Old 08-27-2013 | 11:26 AM
rockinred
Road Captain

Here is how the top plate and change of risers look on mine, just to get you an idea.

[IMG][/IMG]

Old 08-27-2013 | 11:32 AM
irishmil
|
Intermediate

rockinred...Thank you so much for the info...Great looking motorcycle. I was gone for a bit for military stuff and when I came back...My wife had purchased me the 2008 CVO Anniversary and it was in the garage when I got home...Very nice wife
manga...thank you for the link...will check it out...much appreciated

Old 08-27-2013 | 11:45 AM
rockinred
Road Captain

rockinred...Thank you so much for the info...Great looking motorcycle. I was gone for a bit for military stuff and when I came back...My wife had purchased me the 2008 CVO Anniversary and it was in the garage when I got home...Very nice wife
WOW!!! She's a keeper for sure!!! The wife too...lol j/k. That's a great gift and a bad *** scoot to say the least. Post some pictures when you get some time... don't see to many of those around here and especially with some good mods and bars on em.

Old 08-27-2013 | 11:53 AM
irishmil
|
Intermediate

They both are keepers...I am very lucky... I will post some pics as soon as I take some...As soon as I got home yesterday...took it for a ride to the coast and put 100 miles on it...New then I needed some taller bars

Old 08-27-2013 | 12:58 PM
Redbeard719
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Marine Corp

irishmil,

I have to echo rockinred's sentiments - you got a great wife and a great bike.

As for your quest....IMHO, the approach you've been told about is a great option. Replacing the top plate on the springer fork is the best way to go. It allows you to run any riser and bar combination you choose, so long as they are sized right to clear the tank on full lock turns of the bars.

I did this before as well with a Heritage Springer and the results were fantastic. The 09 CVO Springer I just bought had the top plate replaced already, but had it not, I would have chose this option as well, again.

It's hard to see with all the chrome (!) but you can see the new top plate and regular risers here on my Heritage Springer.

Old 08-27-2013 | 01:03 PM
irishmil
|
Intermediate

What bars did you go with on your 09?

Old 08-27-2013 | 02:07 PM
Redbeard719
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Marine Corp

What bars did you go with on your 09?

Not sure if you're talkin' to me or rockinred....

My 09 currently has the Carlini Super Sweeps with 9" pull back. It's not my style, and they were there when I bought it.

I've yet to completely decide on my replacements. I like some of the Carlini Apes, but they're not easy to come by with a flat spot pressed on the left side for the clutch master cylinder. There are some others that I've been eying though.

Rockinred has 14'' Carlini Flyin' Apes 1.5" diameter.

Quick Reply: 08 Springer CVO...handlebar question