Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Custom or not question...

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2013, 09:03 AM
dansax
Elite HDF Member
Received 51 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by Tracker56
So, you believe in the "factory custom" class...that's cool. I don't, let's leave it at that. :-)
I just think that "stock" means stock, no changes. Putting on chrome that wasn't from the factory means it's not stock. I don't believe in any judging class I'm just or was sure of what stock meant. No harm done. i should have worded my original post better. i didn't mean to be so harsh.

Old 08-25-2013, 09:27 AM
1BRAVO9
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 610 Likes on 279 Posts

Everybody's opinion is different and no one's is more correct than the other, but I believe that "individualizing" your bike doesn't make it a custom. Changing the derby cover, putting different grips, or even changing the bars doesn't make a custom IMO. As long as the frame is original and not altered, and the tins and engine are original, I would have a hard time considering it a custom. When you start putting a wide tire kit on it, cut or alter the frame some how, or even change the original tins then I think of the word "custom". Otherwise I just consider it a stock motorcycle that has been personalized or had the owners individual stamp put on it.

Nothing less, nothing more.

Last edited by 1BRAVO9; 08-25-2013 at 09:30 AM.
Old 08-25-2013, 11:58 AM
Suntower
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like the "judges" might have been from the Concours Car Show world. My dear old Dad collects and shows Cadillacs. In shows... ANY non-stock items added to a car will put you in the custom class... even if they are period correct. They are crazy uptight about it.

For example... He has a '66 CDV convertible with a factory option two tone interior that is exceptionally rare. He frequently has to break out the original build sheet and code book for the judges to avoid getting dumped into the custom class when he shows it at Concours events.

IMO... a "custom" bike has alterations to the frame or one-off sheet metal. I refer to my bike as a "Catalog Custom". It has a lot of cool stuff on it... but other than the paint... it's just swapped out or added bolt-on parts.

One of my favorites about this topic is looking at classified adds for bikes when some knucklehead will put "TOTALLY CUSTOM!!!!" in their headline because they bought a new seat and changed the mirrors or some shiat.

Old 08-25-2013, 12:03 PM
tbonetony06
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

It would seem that whoever was in charge of that part of the event dropped the ball. There should have been one more class and that is "modified". Stock, modified and custom.

Old 08-25-2013, 12:56 PM
Misbehaven
Elite HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

I have not done a show in years but from what I can remember once you alter any of the tins or frame it then becomes a custom. Adding chrome or black parts like handlebars, pipes,seats and other little things was still considered stock.

Old 08-25-2013, 01:03 PM
rooti
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't think it should be considered a custom unless it is a build