Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New headlights

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2007, 11:51 AM
fbhawg
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New headlights

I'm a newbe so if this has been asked 1000 times I apologize. I just got back into biking after about a 10 year layoff(Kids!). I guess I didn't realize how blind I was getting. I'm thinking about going to the new dual bulb Harley headlight or even the big 4-$500 ones for my Fatboy. Opinions?

Old 03-05-2007, 12:03 PM
Buddha4
Road Warrior
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
Default RE: New headlights

I just put a HID system in mine. certainly bighter and the bulb and ballast only cost 200 and that was for 2 bulbs and ballasts. I just drilled a hole in the the rear of the housing to run the wires through. I also am running HID spotlights. and will be running a draw test to with the heated gear to see what else I can put on.

Old 03-05-2007, 12:13 PM
fbhawg
Tourer

Buddah-That sure sounds reasonable for the ballast type, thats the zenon one isn't it. Is it a ton different? My buddies Kawasaki has better lights than my truck! I guess this is the only area I envy him though. I've been seeing 4-500 price tags from Kuryakn and Harley. Mark

Old 03-05-2007, 12:19 PM
In Memoriam Citoriplus
May our Moderator Rest in Peace
Received 29 Likes on 18 Posts

Before you go out and break the bank on a new light setup.
Go to the local auto parts store and get a Sylvania Silverstar bulb for about $20 and try that.
You might find that it does what you need without a lot of extra work and for far less money.
Especially if you do most of your riding in areas that have some street lighting.
If you like to go out where there is no street lighting at all, then HID's might be of benifit.
But I would still try the Silverstars first.

Old 03-05-2007, 12:41 PM
xxxflhrci
Extreme HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

I'll second the Silverstars. I put them in two of my vehicles and the light is much whiter.

Old 03-05-2007, 12:41 PM
fbhawg
Tourer

Thanks guys. I just figured out the search feature. I'll look thru there. City driving is ok, it's seeing deer and critters on highways and country roads at night that worries me.

Old 03-05-2007, 01:06 PM
George C
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

This may not pertain to this subject, but I look at lighting differently.
I run one of those J&P 80/100 Rainbow halogens. It looks orange & blue.
The light is a little too blue for my taste at night, but during the day, it is a distinct and different color. It makes it much easier for on-coming traffic to see you.
So for me, it's a safety thing.
Just a thought.

Old 03-05-2007, 01:15 PM
In Memoriam Citoriplus
May our Moderator Rest in Peace
Received 29 Likes on 18 Posts

I can relate to the critter problem, fortunatly its not much of a problem for bike riding this time of year. Too much snow and ice to ride.
But unless you have lights that aretoo bright to be legal one headlight probably isn't going to be enough.
For that you may need to gst the aux lighting to brighten up the sides of the road.
Every encounter I have had withlarger critters, like deer, wasn't seeing them standing in the road but ahintof something moving in the shadows alongsidethe roadway.
The dumb things seem to wait till your almost on top of them before the brave, or dumbest oneof the group, because they seem to always be in small groups decides that its time tocross in front of you.
If you see one crossing the road, hit the brakes cause odds are there is at leasta couple morearound or following that one.
So if you don't see them on the side of the road BEFORE they move you may already be too late.
But I still think you should try at least Silverstar headlight bulb first.
I wonder if they make them to fit theHD aux lights?

Old 03-05-2007, 01:18 PM
Crusher
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A little off the subject here but how do I get my Deuce headlight to stop shaking or is this impossible and I have to live with it?

On the subject......I used the silverstars in my 1988 Monte Carlo and it was night and day. A big improvement.

Old 03-05-2007, 01:27 PM
fbhawg
Tourer

Well with all the searching I found out what I've been learning more and more lately, the easy solutions never work for Fatboys. They have a one piece bulb and reflector. The 55/100 J&P seems to be the popular choice but again, not for Fatboys. I saw that post that said-Fatboy saved Harley. The way I figure it was so they could sell another whole line of parts at 3 times the price instead of twice. If anyone has a solution I would be interested. Thanks, Mark

Quick Reply: New headlights