Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel Pump Hiss

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2013 | 09:25 AM
auburn08
|
Intermediate
Default Fuel Pump Hiss

I pretty sure I have a the common hole in the fuel pick up tubes in my '02 Fatboy (19k miles). I also have a fuel gauge that hasnt worked since I bought it with 12.5k miles on it. It always read full.

My question is what part numbers do I need to fix the fuel hoses (clamps, hoses, tank gasket and screws...etc)?

Do I need to bend the float arm down if it is stuck up showing full?

I have never been inside the tank so not sure how it could be stuck.

Thanks.

Old 08-23-2013 | 12:57 PM
TheTroupe
Road Master

It is most likely stuck because someone before you has been inside there and screwed it up. With a 2002 you right on schedule to need a now set of internal fuel lines. Personally I would bring it to an independent HD shop and have them do it, unless you want to learn this skill for a once in a lifetime fix.

Old 08-24-2013 | 10:00 AM
gooberdog
Road Captain

I just finished replacing the filter and hoses in my 05 and found it fairly easy to do. The parts you will need..

Top plate gasket 61381-02
fuel filter kit 61001-01 hose and clamps are included
Plate screws 1311D you will need ten of these
Check valve 62189-01A check valve comes with hose already attached to it.
oetiker clamp 1022 you only need one of these to attach the other end of supply line to the regulator housing ( or you can use a screw clamp ).
Once you get the contraption out to a certain height you will see that it looks impossible to remove any further without bending, jerking or f##king something up. At this point you will see that the sender float assembly is attached to the fuel pump housing. Take this screw out and it will separate from the housing making it capable of removing both parts easily from the tank. Do this in reverse when reinstalling. Once it is removed reinstall the sender to the housing. To check if the sender is working properly pull the fuel pump fuse, reinstall the wiring disconnect and hold the contraption in one hand. Turn the ignition switch on and you can manually raise and lower the float with the other hand while watching your fuel gauge. This may seem complicated but it's really very simple to do. Here's a couple of videos that will help but I suggest that you don't act like a bull in a china shop like this dude does.

hope this helps.

Old 08-25-2013 | 01:55 AM
Freelander
Advanced

I just fixed this problem on my Deuce a few days ago.
It wasnt that difficult. It took me longer to drain the fuel then it did to replace the check valve and hose.
This is the part that had the hole: http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...STN-Parts.aspx