Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel tank.

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2013, 12:59 PM
tbonetony06
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Fuel tank.

I don't think there is anything that is a "bad or dumb question" that a person can ask. It does not mean a person is dumb, it means, for whatever reason, they just don't k now or that they might know but not 100% sure so here it goes. I have always had this picture in my head of "My bike" and what and how I wanted it. I was thinking about stretched fenders and paint this winter, (now I am not so sure), but in any case if I did go with paint I would not want to use, lose and ruin the paint set I now have with the stock paint on the tins. I just love this color combo and my bike turned out so well that paint is now up in the air. In any case, I already have a 2nd fuel tank for paint. When I bought the tank the guy threw in the fuel pump for free and the reason for that is that the plastic piece that holds it all together when it's down in the tank is broken. My question is, is there any way to fix that so that it is usable? With it sitting down in the fuel I am sure any form of glue wouldn't work and that would dissolve and get in my fuel and throughout the motor. Am I correct in assuming that? If not glue than what, or is it just a dead soldier? If it's not usable I know I can just swap fuel pumps from 1 tank to the other but I don't want to pitch this fuel pump if there is anyway to make it usable. Thanks in advance for your input.

Old 08-22-2013, 02:38 PM
08Nighttrain
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Perhaps you could "fix" that plastic part with a plastic welder it is like a soldering iron and they sell them at Harbor Freight. I dont know any glue that works under constant gas exposure. Have you tried to buy just the plastic piece?

Old 08-22-2013, 02:41 PM
QC
Club Member
Received 19,803 Likes on 9,866 Posts

I would think you could find one from a parted out wreck or something. There is a place in Minnesota that parts out bikes. Another in Virginia: Kim Motors.

Old 08-22-2013, 03:17 PM
dansax
Elite HDF Member
Received 51 Likes on 41 Posts

Tony, once you lead in with that **** about dumb questions you lost me. I didn't even read your post. Some things are better left unsaid. I'm sorry it's just the way I am. I'm sure someone will answer you.