Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Now what have I done???? Broken gas line!

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2007, 08:48 PM
jbroughton
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Now what have I done???? Broken gas line!

'06 Heritage Softail fuel injected (FLSTI)... I was trying to slide the tank back to find some wires under it, and apparently went a little too far. As I was pulling it back I felt something give, and then smelled gas. It appears that I broke a connector where the hose goes from the tank to the fuel injection unit (?). I guess that's where it goes - it's about a 6" hose that goes from the left side of the tank, to between the jugs where the carb. used to be on old bikes. It broke on that end, and now all the gas is running out. Crap! It appears to be a plastic piece at the end of the hose that just snapped when I pulled the tank back too far. What now???

Thanks,
Jeff

Old 03-04-2007, 09:50 PM
DR.Greenthumb
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Now what have I done???? Broken gas line!

Now you go the dealer and order a new one.If you're lucky they'll have one in stock.Probably not.It's held on by a small fork looking clamp with a torx head fastner.Don't ask me how I know

Old 03-04-2007, 10:53 PM
hogtie
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Same here, dont ask mehow I know the part cost $47.

Old 03-04-2007, 11:18 PM
jbroughton
Cruiser

Well, it sucks that I'm out more $$$, but it makes me feel better that somebody else has been there too! So how hard is it to get to this part?

I love my EFI, but this kind of thing makes me miss the old days when you had aplain piece of gas line held on to metal fittings at each end with a simple hose clamp!

Old 03-05-2007, 03:50 AM
Lawaia
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

P/N 62900-01B
No tools required for R&R.

Old 03-05-2007, 03:53 AM
anubisss
Banned
Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

I did this too if you are talking about the crossover. But I just went to the auto parts store and bought a peice of fuel line and 2 hose clamps and fixed it like that. About $7. Then one of the fule lines inside my tank got a leak in it, and my bike started running strange that was a more expensive fix...

Old 03-05-2007, 03:56 AM
anubisss
Banned
Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Oh, I broke that gas line for the fuel injection fitting as well. I think that is what you are talking about. Yeah, it wasn't cheap...

Old 03-05-2007, 05:11 AM
scotty3
Road Captain
Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts

ORIGINAL: jbroughton

'06 Heritage Softail fuel injected (FLSTI)... I was trying to slide the tank back to find some wires under it, and apparently went a little too far. As I was pulling it back I felt something give, and then smelled gas. It appears that I broke a connector where the hose goes from the tank to the fuel injection unit (?). I guess that's where it goes - it's about a 6" hose that goes from the left side of the tank, to between the jugs where the carb. used to be on old bikes. It broke on that end, and now all the gas is running out. Crap! It appears to be a plastic piece at the end of the hose that just snapped when I pulled the tank back too far. What now???

Thanks,
Jeff

If you had bought the service manual you would have found the correct method to pull the tank back and found out that the connector on the tank is just like a compressed air hose connector that takes 2 seconds to disconnect.
Would have saved yourself a lot of grief.
But we have all been there and done that and the only way to learn from your mistakes is to make them

Old 03-05-2007, 08:38 AM
XTrooper3936
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

The service manuals are definitely worth every penny. I should have bought mine sooner than I did.

Old 03-05-2007, 10:23 AM
jbroughton
Cruiser

Yep, service manual is on my list of things to get today when I go to the dealer.

And of course this couldn't happen when I was about out of gas. Nooooo, it had to happen when I still had about 4 gallons of gas in the tank!

As usual, thanks for all of the help everybody. I guess you all know what I'll be doing tonight....

Quick Reply: Now what have I done???? Broken gas line!