Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Now what have I done???? Broken gas line!

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2007, 11:12 AM
Kong
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Now what have I done???? Broken gas line!

I have a Service Manual, and in fact I pulled the tank on my FI bike just a week agoafter reading the thing. I didn't even know ithad a connector on the Injector end. That's not what my comment is about.

My comment is about that Service Manual. Yes, you have to have one. Don't thinkits gonna solve every Harley problem you ever run into though. The things cost around $60 and while they can be mighty helpful at times it would certainly be difficult to call one 'worth every penny'. In fact it is poorly orgainzed, glosses over important information, and omits much. Its like going to the Orange Box for parts - sure, they got lots of parts, they just don't have the part you need. The manual is like that in many parts, it covers lots of things, it just won't cover the thing you need. At least that's how its going to seem to you. I do have to say this for the thing though, it has absolutly great electrical schematics.

In this particular case here is whata Manualwould have told you: Find the fuel fitting on the right side of the tank. The tank fitting will have a lower L shappedfuel lineand an upper chromed sleeve. With two fingers grab and pull down on the chrome sleeve to release the connector and tug down on the fuel line to remove it; as Scotty 3 said, it takes 2 seconds. There will be two other lines to the tank as well. At the front top there will be a vent line and under the tank at the front there will be two tubes connected by a hose that allows fuel to flow from one side of the tank to the other (crossover line). Needless to say there is no pressure on the vent line and there is not much on the crossover either. The reason you have a special connector for the FI is because the fuel in it is pressurized to 58 psi. So before you remove it and get that gass all over the place you need to pull the fuse for your fuel pump and then start the engine to let it run out of gas (onlytakes a moment of cranking). That gets rid of the pressure and then you disconnect it.

Old 03-05-2007, 09:15 PM
air_marshall
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

On the same subject, sort of...

Has anyone found a good option for replacing the crossover hose with a quick disconnect line?

I have seen some for earlier bikes, just not sure if it is worth doing it. It seems like this would be easier than the method they recommend in the manual,

"9. Drain Fuel Tank
a. Obtain a short section of hose (5/16" ID) . Insert bolt in one end of hose and install hose clamp to ensure that end is securely plugged.

b. Cut clamp from one end of crossover hose. Quickly replace crossover hose on fuel tank fitting with open end of short hose while directing flow of gasoline from free end of crossover hose into suitable conatainer"

(I looked but I couldn't find the HD part # for the BOLT!!)

Old 03-05-2007, 09:23 PM
DyNaBoB
Elite HDF Member

now that dash kicks *** can i have it?

Old 03-05-2007, 09:32 PM
air_marshall
Advanced

Yeah, it's pretty cool, should be for $500.

I especially like the fact that the colour is easily adjustable, it sorta changes moods just like the rider!

(It was just sheer luck when I got home after the last ride that it was at 103!)

"Part # 74677-07 (KMH) or 74676-07 (MPH)
Combination Speedometer/Tachometer - Color-Matched Lighting

Maintain the clean view over the handlebar. This unique Combination Speedometer/Tachometer allows you to monitor engine speed without adding a handlebar-mounted tach. The unit mounts in the stock dash opening and is a direct plug-in installation on '07 models. Utilizing the trip reset push-button, the multi-color LED lighting system allows the rider to adjust the backlighting of the gauge to the color of choice. With over 600 color tone options, the gauge lighting can be matched to any paint scheme or viewing preference. The gauge features an easy-to-read LCD odometer/tripmeter. Mileage reinstatement is available through your dealer."

Old 03-05-2007, 10:08 PM
DyNaBoB
Elite HDF Member

it just plugs in and you have a tach.Tell me it comes in BLACK and im sold b day is coming and if im nice to the wife for about well lets say 2 weeks its mine

Old 03-05-2007, 10:20 PM
air_marshall
Advanced

DyNaBoB, here it is with the ignition off, in all it's black face glory.

Hope you get what you want from the wife for your birthday. Maybe you'll get the speedo/tach as well, ha ha.

[IMG]local://upfiles/24492/0479579DC6274DF7AA318138A7AC4A4A.jpg[/IMG]

Old 03-05-2007, 10:22 PM
anubisss
Banned
Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

I broke it, and I had the service manual. I learn the hard way occasionaly.

Old 03-06-2007, 10:11 AM
Kong
Advanced

Airmarshall,

Crossover line: If there is a good way I've never found it but here's one that works. Get a pair of vice-grips. Clamp them down midway across the crossover line to crush it. Now pull the line off one side and quickly stick a length of 5/16" ID hose over one end with the other end of the hose going to some sort of container. When you get one side done yank off the other side and drain it. Its not much better than the traditional method ofkneeling there with afinger from one handstopping the flow out of the tank and a finger from the other stopping flow out of the tube - and poor you sitting in the middle of those two hands without a clue what to do next as the gas drips down you arms.

This might help too - and it works in places other than the crossover; stop by an old-fart's medical supply store - they're popping up all over the place as my generation races to the grave. Buy yourself a section of surgical tubing that has an ID of around a quarter inch. This is invaluable stuff. First off itis great for drainingcrossover lines. Its also great to slip over bleeder nipples at brake calipers so you can drop the end into a half filled jar offluid for a trouble-free brake bleeding session.Best of all, it can also be put to what the real-estate-clowns call its 'best and highest purpose';when used in conjunction witha slingshot blank carefully cut out of a 3/4" hunk of plywood the stuff can propell a ball from a ball-bearing with a ferocity that would simply astound you.Just like in the days of the old Wham-O, no pigeon will ever be safe again.

Old 03-07-2007, 12:51 AM
mcpastor
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: XTrooper3936

The service manuals are definitely worth every penny. I should have bought mine sooner than I did.
I bought a $20 manual on CD for my computer from Ebay. Could be getting what I paid for... a cheap manual. On the other hand, the seller has a very positive feedback score. Mine should arrive in the mail soon.

Hope this link works: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...097&rd=1,1

Anyone else get a manual like this? Are they legit?

Old 03-07-2007, 01:37 PM
jbroughton
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Hey, that manual on a CD looks nice! Let us know how that works out.

Well, finally found a replacement fuel line (at the 4th dealer we checked). Same part # mentioned earlier in this thread, same price. Hopefully I can get everything back together tonight and be back on the road. Thanks again for the help guys!

Jeff

Quick Reply: Now what have I done???? Broken gas line!