Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

3,000 Miles on my Breakout in 70 Days

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2013, 08:43 AM
texaszman
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3,000 Miles on my Breakout in 70 Days

So my break-in period is over ,

This is my 5th Bike - second Harley (came from a FatBoy) - and just getting back into riding after a 5 year hiatus. Have to say hands down, this is the most fun I have had on a motorcycle. Some of my thoughts:

- The Ride. I love the comfort of this bike - stock seat is great. The bike just feels 'natural' in my hands - where I want to go, how far I lean into a turn, taking high speed twistys - I never feel like the bike wants to get away from me. Has made me very confident with it already. (Maybe a little too confident)

- The low, cruiser look. The Breakout turns heads wherever I go. It's fun when I ride with headphones and do a dance boogie at the stoplight to the music - the bike is so low to the ground that it just boogies right along with my legs. I can lean this sucker very low in sharp cornering now - no apprehension of the longer rake. Is also very stable in low speed turns - something that took me some time getting used to.

- Ability to handle very long rides. I travel during the week so a lot of my riding has been long day trips on back country roads in North Texas and Southern OK. It's not atypical for me to go for runs of 6-7 hours at a time in 100+ degree heat, with only a stop for lunch in between. It took some time for my body to acclimate to the riding position, but now with my Lindby crash bars/foot rest I sit back into the seat and let the bike take the lead.

There is some back fatigue in the cruiser position, but definitely NOT what I had assumed when I first bought the bike. I keep up with all the new baggers with no problem - and I look better

I told a friend that if someone came and gave me $50K for my bike and I had to go buy anything I wanted - I'd go back and buy another Breakout. Just this time the CVO

Old 08-18-2013, 09:56 AM
Harley_Charley
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Agree with everything except the seat. If I don't have the back seat installed, I hate the seat solo. I need that back seat on there to keep me from sitting too far back. Looks like I'll need to have a custom solo seat made eventually.

Old 08-18-2013, 09:57 AM
Killer Squirrel
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey there, glad you are enjoying the BO like I am! Sounds like our experiences are similar, though I have only put ~1500 miles in about 2 months. I agree totally about the confidence level - I feel more confident in 2 months on this bike than I ever achieved in a year and a half on my Nightster, though to be fair that was my first bike so I was still (and still am) learning to ride better. I have been practicing my turns and leans and the BO just... does it. Glorious machine. My back does start to hurt a little on longer rides, especially with my wife on the back. I got some riser spacers and that helps a little, but I think I would really enjoy some crash bars with different foot placement. The stock seat actually is quite comfortable, but I will opt for a Mustang Vintage Wide if they ever make one for the BO, and get the accompanying pillion for the wife - hopefully that will bump up the comfort level for both of us. Keep on riding! Perhaps some of us can all meet up centrally in Texas for bbq and beer or something

Old 08-18-2013, 10:56 AM
wayslow
Tourer

I dig the looks of the BO, but I've never even sit on one of 'em.
Glad to hear yer enjoying the ride and getting some miles on it...I've put 9300 on my fxst in 2013...very few of those miles from January to mid-March.

Old 08-18-2013, 11:11 AM
103 sedona orange
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 220 Likes on 192 Posts

Sounds like you're enjoying your BO. I like the look of the BO, but in the RGs. I have a backrest that makes all the difference in the world. Hopefully someone comes out with a backrest. Good Luck & be safe.

Old 08-18-2013, 12:12 PM
ChickinOnaChain
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3,075 Likes on 2,558 Posts

I envy all of you Breakout owners...any the money you have.

Old 08-18-2013, 12:18 PM
Misbehaven
Elite HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Harley_Charley
Agree with everything except the seat. If I don't have the back seat installed, I hate the seat solo. I need that back seat on there to keep me from sitting too far back. Looks like I'll need to have a custom solo seat made eventually.
The seat situation is the same on my Lo. For longer rides I put the pillion seat on for support. Makes a huge difference in comfort.

Old 08-18-2013, 05:11 PM
Wide_Open
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 149 Likes on 83 Posts

Sounds like you are enjoying your Breakout as it meant to be. Hope you have many great miles ahead of you on it.

Old 08-18-2013, 07:57 PM
crawlgsx
Cruiser

Glad to hear someone else having the same/similar experience!

I have 4700 miles on mine so far and I love it. Handles and rides amazing and looks slick doing it.

Old 08-18-2013, 09:41 PM
marsbar
Intermediate

love mine too put 18000 km on it since middle of may

Quick Reply: 3,000 Miles on my Breakout in 70 Days