Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

German style Helmet

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2013, 09:24 PM
fishtown fatboy
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default German style Helmet

Been looking for a DOT approved German style helmet, but everyone I have tried made me look like Dark Helmet from Space *****. It sits high and looks huge.

Anyone know of brand that sits a little lower and is not as wide or huge looking?

Old 08-06-2013, 09:29 PM
Arrogant Bastard
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't think you'll find what you're looking for and have it DOT approved at the same time. All DOT approved helmets have that massive layer of padding. I think what you want is gonna be a novelty helmet, but you won't find one that is DOT approved.

Old 08-06-2013, 09:33 PM
Mikeskins
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah, probably not going to happen. I had to return my DOT version for the novelty because I didn't want to look like dark helmet either.

Old 08-06-2013, 09:55 PM
Arrogant Bastard
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

If you're willing to sacrifice the DOT sticker, check out www.ironhorsehelmets.com

They have some sick German helmets, they even have the one with the huge spike in the middle of it. Of course they're not DOT certified.

Old 08-06-2013, 10:17 PM
Impala_ss
Cruiser
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Drifter

I would check out the Bell Drifter. Not exactly the german helmet but has the general shape and doesn't look like a normal half helmet. I have 2 and love them although they did just redesign it and the new ones don't fit my dome as well.
Leave the ear pads in, it cuts the wind noise down, and helps eliminate the dark helmet effect. They are not a big deal and don't make the helmet hotter in the summer...

Old 08-06-2013, 10:19 PM
m i k e
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

get a dot german helmut and use a hammer to punch in
the molding a tad to get your low fit

Old 08-06-2013, 10:46 PM
tbonetony06
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

You may not understand this but there are still "Big Companies", or any companies, who do not wish to be affiliated with anything German as far back as WWII and the atrocities that was committed. I don't think you will find anything DOT or the State Of your area, Certified as an Old "German Helmet". Now, Knock off's? Probably no problem but they won't save you from a ticket. A Cop, especially a State Cop, can spot a knock off from a mile away and he will cite you for wearing one. It is what it is.

Old 08-06-2013, 11:07 PM
DocJ
Road Master

It was this issue that started me in wearing full-face helmets. Not the most "biker" looking option, but it looks better than the DOT shorties. It has more of a Daft Punk look. Ha!

Still, the full-face is more comfortable and confidence inspiring while cruising 75nph down the interstate. Now, I know many don't care, but I do.

TBone is right - if you're caught, you will be cited for wearing a novelty. Not fun. Avoid the hassle and just go DOT.

One option, though, and it may not be your thing - but I heard Biltwell makes a DOT 3/4 that is not too bulky. May check it out.

Old 08-06-2013, 11:11 PM
jojoenglish85
Road Captain

Get a low profile 3/4 and call it a day.

Old 08-06-2013, 11:45 PM
yzergod
Road Warrior
Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by fishtown fatboy
Been looking for a DOT approved German style helmet, but everyone I have tried made me look like Dark Helmet from Space *****. It sits high and looks huge.

Anyone know of brand that sits a little lower and is not as wide or huge looking?
I just got a new Fly 9mm for the same reason... DOT and not overly huge. $53.99 at Motorcycle-Superstore! HTH!

Quick Reply: German style Helmet