Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to Adjust your Shotguns for Various Rides

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2013, 08:23 AM
Benway
Elite HDF Member
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Default How to Adjust your Shotguns for Various Rides

This comes up so often and confuses so many people that I thought it needed it's own thread.
(searched, couldn't find anything specific)

I've been using the hell out of my shotguns and I still have trouble getting it adjusted the same way twice.

Things to know (which switches do what and WHY):
1. How to set up for Solo, LOW ride.
2. How to set up for Solo, COMFY ride.
3. How to set up for 2-Up, LOW ride
4. How to set up for 2-Up, COMFY ride.
5. How to set up for terrible roads (comfy might give too much 'porpoising')
6. How to set up for 'twisties'.

Please, share your wisdom with others.

Old 08-05-2013, 10:10 AM
Fabrikator
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I always just pump it all the way up (both switches up) until you're max height, then hold it for another 5 secs or so (at which point you should be pretty much max stiffness). then adjust you're desired rebound (left switch), then adjust height as wanted (right switch)

Old 08-05-2013, 10:30 AM
Benway
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by Fabrikator
I always just pump it all the way up (both switches up) until you're max height, then hold it for another 5 secs or so (at which point you should be pretty much max stiffness). then adjust you're desired rebound (left switch), then adjust height as wanted (right switch)
Ah, sounds good. We went 2-up all afternoon yesterday and I had it adjusted perfect (trial and error and mostly error). I was a absolutely amazed that going down a road with about a dozen speed bumps that you could not feel them at all when the rear tire hit. (front, yes, rear, no). It was spooky. Great, great ride.

When out myself afterwards (stripped all the 2-up stuff off) and put it down so the rear pipes were about 2" off the road. Had it set perfect that I rarely scraped the tips.

Too bad I'll never be able to match those settings again...

Old 08-05-2013, 10:45 AM
Fabrikator
Tourer

Yea, It would be great if someone could incorporate something like the "e-level" system thats available for cars with air suspension.

I don't mind though, I'm constantly playing with it since I always raise it full up when going in and out of a gas station or parking lot. You should see some of the inclines to gas stations around Alberta. Pick up truck country forreal.

Old 08-05-2013, 11:05 AM
stixman_576
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You guys are getting me excited!! I ordered my shotgun last week. I feel like a little kid waiting for Christmas morning to get here!

But I love the info!! Keep it coming!!

Old 08-05-2013, 11:35 AM
Benway
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by Fabrikator
Yea, It would be great if someone could incorporate something like the "e-level" system thats available for cars with air suspension.

I don't mind though, I'm constantly playing with it since I always raise it full up when going in and out of a gas station or parking lot. You should see some of the inclines to gas stations around Alberta. Pick up truck country forreal.
I would LOVE to see a couple of handlebar-mounted LED strips (one for the pump and one for the preload). You could make note (for example) that firm solo might be one LED and the rebound LED strip would be (for example) 2 LEDs.

2-up might be 4 LEDs on the pump LED strip and 5 LEDs on the rebound strip.

Old 08-05-2013, 12:06 PM
Ramboamt
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Benway
I would LOVE to see a couple of handlebar-mounted LED strips (one for the pump and one for the preload). You could make note (for example) that firm solo might be one LED and the rebound LED strip would be (for example) 2 LEDs.

2-up might be 4 LEDs on the pump LED strip and 5 LEDs on the rebound strip.
Hmmmm, maybe a pressure gauge for both of the Shock settings, rebound and height. That way you could see where you are at on the pressure and possibly mark it on the gauge for that particular style of riding. Might have something here.

Old 08-05-2013, 02:00 PM
Benway
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by Ramboamt
Hmmmm, maybe a pressure gauge for both of the Shock settings, rebound and height. That way you could see where you are at on the pressure and possibly mark it on the gauge for that particular style of riding. Might have something here.
Yeah, I thought of this too. It would be the simplest, though tapping a line into both sides of that shock would be a very expensive proposition if things went wrong. Of course, one line is already exposed, so you could just Tee off that one - unless pressure does not stay on that line... Then, just one to drill...

Last edited by Benway; 08-05-2013 at 02:02 PM.
Old 08-05-2013, 03:56 PM
tbonetony06
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I have mine down to a science, well, actually a simple count system. I go down the road holding both switches full up plus the 5 seconds. I then give each switch 2 flicks down, 1 at a time, each. That pretty much gets me down the road on a cloud. That is solo and I weigh 225. 2 up? I can't help you there. The extent of my 2 up riding is from the bar to my house.... and then back! Thats all I gotta say bout that!!!

Old 08-05-2013, 05:10 PM
Arrogant Bastard
Tourer

Originally Posted by tbonetony06
The extent of my 2 up riding is from the bar to my house.... and then back! Thats all I gotta say bout that!!!
Does it make a difference if your passenger happens to be a fat girl? Do you give it a little extra stiffness to compensate for the extra heft?

Quick Reply: How to Adjust your Shotguns for Various Rides