Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Race Tuner vs. Power Commander

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2007, 08:03 PM
sdpage
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Race Tuner vs. Power Commander

This may be the wrong forum for this question but here goes anyway. I have a 2007 FXSTS with a new breather and Sampson Big Gun 3's. It runs really nice but I get more "backfire" then I want and the HD people tell me they cancalmit down some with a race tuner. I've been told a Power Commander will work as well as the HD tuner. Thoughts?

Old 03-02-2007, 08:17 PM
ICEMANNN
Cruiser
Default RE: Race Tuner vs. Power Commander

My dealer said that he didnt recommend to install a PCIII (Power commander) on a 07 softail due to oxygen sensor ... He simply refused to install it ... Better choice is Screamin eagle race tuner or Thundermax but they are a bit more expensive than PCIII

I have hear that Dynojet is coming soon with a new Power Commander with oxygen sensor ...

Old 03-02-2007, 10:13 PM
Crazy Biker
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Read this. I vote for SERT.

https://www.hdforums.com/m_1306171/tm.htm

Old 03-02-2007, 10:38 PM
stro1965
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 709 Likes on 352 Posts

If money is no object and you are computer savvy, the SERT is the way to go for sure. Cheaper option maybe a DFO if it's justa lean condition causing the backfire.

Old 03-02-2007, 11:21 PM
OldFenderGuy
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

I don't know very much about either, as I am a 'long time carb'd guy', but the tuner I use installed the SERT on my 2003 EFI FatBoywhen it was dyno tuned.

It's my understanding that the SERT allowsmore "fine tuning" capabilities than the power commander.

Old 03-02-2007, 11:56 PM
DyNaBoB
Elite HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i say power commander its my second bike and i used the pc111 again it has the same tuning as a sert you can fine tune on comp or just go with a canned map.Never even had a backfire or poping with the canned map. hd wont use a pc111 cause they want to sell you thirs duh i almost forgot the new pc111s have free rev extend witch raises your revlimiter to 6200 rpms intead of 5200

Old 03-03-2007, 03:10 AM
WARG
Elite HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I have a PCIII and had it tuned. My bike was backfiring and popping. After the tune, I only get an occasional pop, and it is never successive pops in a row. Just a single pop here and there.Like the other day I rode the bike 40 miles, and it popped once. This can probably be tuned out as well, but I just have not had time to mess with it. I am happy with my purchase. However, I have an 06 with no O2 sensors.

Old 03-03-2007, 03:19 AM
ICEMANNN
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: DyNaBoB

i say power commander its my second bike and i used the pc111 again it has the same tuning as a sert you can fine tune on comp or just go with a canned map.Never even had a backfire or poping with the canned map. hd wont use a pc111 cause they want to sell you thirs duh i almost forgot the new pc111s have free rev extend witch raises your revlimiter to 6200 rpms intead of 5200
You have more capability of fine tuning with SERT than PCIII ... My dealer do quarter mile drag racing and personnaly tune the bike and refused to install PCIIIon my bike... I was supposed to buy a thundermax autotune and i wasokay to install it on my bike, but i have preffer to stay with theSERT ...

PCIII will do the job , but will not perform as the SERT will do for fine tuning

Old 03-03-2007, 11:35 AM
DyNaBoB
Elite HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

lol there you go again with my dealer wont again you can tune a pc111 on a computer just like a sert you can go to each throttle interval and fine tune your bike wile its running

Old 03-04-2007, 02:48 PM
ChromeJunkie
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 4,197 Likes on 1,829 Posts

Remember,if you you go with the SERT,it can only use it on that bike, as it will be permantly "married" to it. Also keep in mind that if the ECM fails, The SERT will have to be replaced as well.

Quick Reply: Race Tuner vs. Power Commander