Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Race Tuner vs. Power Commander

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2007, 07:44 PM
SCJE8
Club Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Race Tuner vs. Power Commander

My local HD dealer recommended the PCIII over the SERT, and they havecertifiedtuners for both systems!

I have the USB PCIII, V+H BSS, and the SE Stage 1...my Fat Boy runs like a scalded dog! No pops, no misses! The PCIII can be tuned to whatever settings you would like,and I did eliminate the O2 sensors.

I'm very happy with my setup...JMHO!

Steve

Old 03-05-2007, 07:58 PM
DyNaBoB
Elite HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i second that and my new 07 has a rev xtend witch allow it to go to 6200 rpms for the rev limiter

Old 03-05-2007, 08:12 PM
ST Deuce
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

my dealer installed the SERT and i have had no problems. the bike runs great! it was kinda pricey but its my firsy harley and i basically did what the dealer suggested. so until i have issues i would say go with the SERT.

Old 03-05-2007, 08:42 PM
jakazz
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

07 fxstb with vh stepped drags, hyper charger, pc111. runs great. I dont sit at the drags looking to get an extra 100th of a second et. so as long as I'm not running rich, no noises, and runs cooler I'm happy. If I owned a dyno and wanted to bench race guys standing around their bikes I would go for the sert, my own dyno, and a full shop setup with boring machines and flow benches........but I wanna ride more than talk soo...

Old 03-05-2007, 10:28 PM
Mike NY
Road Master
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

ORIGINAL: ChromeJunkie

Also keep in mind that if the ECM fails, The SERT will have to be replaced as well.
Not 100% True I think. If the Dealer reprograms your new ECM with the same VIN or ID then your SERT should still work. I Think.....

I went with the SERT. One, I didn't want some extra piece of electronics failing and Two, the SERT has a DATA Mode for collecting info as well.

Mike
NY

Old 03-06-2007, 12:48 AM
BuckeyeHD
Tourer

ORIGINAL: Mike NY

Also keep in mind that if the ECM fails, The SERT will have to be replaced as well.
Not 100% True I think. If the Dealer reprograms your new ECM with the same VIN or ID then your SERT should still work. I Think.....

I went with the SERT. One, I didn't want some extra piece of electronics failing and Two, the SERT has a DATA Mode for collecting info as well.

Mike
NY
Sorry, you're wrong. New ECM = New SERT. Now, with that said, HD can (and sometimes will) re-program your SERT but it can only be done at the factory. The SERT is great if you are going to do tons of mods down the road and want to shave that extra 1/3 of second. I saved my bucks for more chrome and went with a PCIII which changes nothing on the bike. When I sell it I can remove the PCIII, put the stocks back on and it's a stock Fatty. Can't do that with a SERT.

Old 03-06-2007, 01:03 AM
Jim Dawson
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

ORIGINAL: BuckeyeHD

ORIGINAL: Mike NY

Mike
NY
Sorry, you're wrong. New ECM = New SERT. Now, with that said, HD can (and sometimes will) re-program your SERT but it can only be done at the factory. The SERT is great if you are going to do tons of mods down the road and want to shave that extra 1/3 of second. I saved my bucks for more chrome and went with a PCIII which changes nothing on the bike. When I sell it I can remove the PCIII, put the stocks back on and it's a stock Fatty. Can't do that with a SERT.
There have been posts on the forum where the ECM failed and HD replaced the SERT or reprogramed it to work with the new ECM.

You can put the bike back to stock with the SERT, the dealer can reload the stock map into your ECM.

Jim

Old 06-14-2007, 10:14 AM
GARLTY
Stage I

Hey y'all, I am considering putting after market slip-ons on my '06 Electra-Glide as well as a stage one air cleaner kit and a PCIII. My dealer has said they have had alot of problems with the '06 so of course I called another dealer and they say they have no problems. My question I guess is: with the PCIII, I can do the download right from my own laptop and I should be good to go right? That should give me the correct fuel air mixture so I don't run too lean. The second dealer I called said they could "fine tune" it. Is there something more they will do than what I can with the recommended download? If anyone can set me straight here, don't want to!@#$ my bike up. Thanks.

Greg

Old 06-14-2007, 11:03 AM
In Memoriam Citoriplus
May our Moderator Rest in Peace
Received 29 Likes on 18 Posts

Greg,
What they do when they "fine tune" it is to run the bike on a dyno. Many of the dynos that the dealers have are fitted to hook up directly to the PCIII and can properly adjust to the proper AF ratio on the fly.
Canned maps are generally close enough for most applications. But if your looking to get the absolute best out of your particularengine, in your area of the country, dyno tuning is the way to go. No two engines are exactly the same and where you ride has a lot to do with individual settings. Even if the engines were perfectly matched clones, one bike in Florida (sea level) will still run better witha slightly different setup than another in Denver (5000').

Old 06-14-2007, 03:58 PM
jchildress21
Cruiser

For me, the Powercommander is the way to go. There is more versatility in it. If you go to any of the big rallies and talk with the dyno guys, all of them recommend the Powercommander. I figure they are more competent in tuning than the local dealer. They do this day in and day out, year around. Either will work, but for my money, I went Powercommander.
Joey

Quick Reply: Race Tuner vs. Power Commander