Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

which apes should i get??

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2013, 02:34 PM
DocJ
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you were wanting suggestions on brands, I haven't seen anyone mention BR's Custom Bars. They do great quality work. You can purchase apes with preset dimensions rather easily, or they are willing to do custom work on your bars. Whatever you want. I went with them and found their customer service top notch.

As far as other bars go, I'm a sucker for the Carlinis.

Old 08-01-2013, 03:10 PM
rockinred
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Scootluver
I'm all for Carlinis cuz I have them on my deluxe. But for springers you have to pick apes with a narrow base that are made for springers. I believe Carlinis make springer specific apes. I have the Nash Pudgy gimps on my bobber with a springer front end. Beautiful apes in my opinion.
You only need the springer bars if you are doing the same risers. The reason they call them springer bars, is because they are desinged to be stepped down at the risers that are spread out wider than normal bar risers that are stepped down to 1" for riser clamps. If you want to run any other type of bars you just have to change out the top tree to get one that will bolt up any risers. That's what I did.

Old 08-01-2013, 03:58 PM
Mikeskins
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Carlini makes the different top tree as well. I love my carlini's and know a guy that has the evil apes on his springer but I think I'd go with the menace apes.

Old 08-01-2013, 09:01 PM
SPRINGER22
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you guys. I think I'm definatly going with the carlini!! I think they will go great with the old school style I'm headed. Rockinred I really like your set up, you guys all have great looking bikes and a lot of different ideas. My brain is running circles trying to decide all that I want to do lol. Rockinred what kind if wheels are those in your bike?

Old 08-02-2013, 10:28 AM
rockinred
Road Captain

Originally Posted by SPRINGER22
Thank you guys. I think I'm definatly going with the carlini!! I think they will go great with the old school style I'm headed. Rockinred I really like your set up, you guys all have great looking bikes and a lot of different ideas. My brain is running circles trying to decide all that I want to do lol. Rockinred what kind if wheels are those in your bike?
Springer.... I am trying to find a picture that can show the top tree and different risers. Just remember... don't get too stuck on the bars that are designated as "springer bars". I picked the ones I liked and figured out how to make it work. Which was the adapter plate. Of course if you like the "springer bars" that is easier for sure.

Here is a picture I took that shows the risers and bar symmetry on the springer. I put the HD Breakout wheels on my springer this year. I really dig them and they are what I wanted. Maybe in a few years after all the new softail breakouts start putting them on their bike I will change it out again. As for now, they are pretty unique wherever I go.

[IMG][/IMG]

Old 08-02-2013, 01:00 PM
cornholio
Tourer
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

how about these?

Attached Thumbnails which apes should i get??-ape.jpg  
Old 08-02-2013, 02:24 PM
run1fsr
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 66 Likes on 44 Posts

Just a temporary mock-up on my Springer project bike, and leaning too far forward … but you get the idea. They are 13” Strip Bars from Todds Cycle. When looking at them from the front, I think the narrow squared off bars fit perfectly with the springer front end lines / shape.

Attached Thumbnails which apes should i get??-1springer-memorial-day-2013-001.jpg   which apes should i get??-1springer-memorial-day-2013-030-x.jpg  

Last edited by run1fsr; 08-05-2013 at 01:28 PM.
Old 08-02-2013, 04:55 PM
Rocker_Dan
Road Warrior
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by rockinred
Springer.... I am trying to find a picture that can show the top tree and different risers. Just remember... don't get too stuck on the bars that are designated as "springer bars". I picked the ones I liked and figured out how to make it work. Which was the adapter plate. Of course if you like the "springer bars" that is easier for sure.

Here is a picture I took that shows the risers and bar symmetry on the springer. I put the HD Breakout wheels on my springer this year. I really dig them and they are what I wanted. Maybe in a few years after all the new softail breakouts start putting them on their bike I will change it out again. As for now, they are pretty unique wherever I go.

[IMG][/IMG]

Did the same when I realised the wrong bars were shipped out...

Old 08-02-2013, 05:46 PM
rockinred
Road Captain

Dan...your bike and bars look killer. Excellent job! I would say that the top tree is the way to go.

OP, if you are going with Carlini, they do make some springer "risers". They are the diamond head risers that will bolt directly on to the springer bolts with the correct thread pattern. Just so you know there are many options out there for you.

Old 08-02-2013, 06:42 PM
Redder
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i went with the wild one chubby risers. no plate.
whatever you choose...get the BARS you want, then figure out the risers

Attached Thumbnails which apes should i get??-image.jpg  

Last edited by Redder; 08-02-2013 at 06:44 PM.

Quick Reply: which apes should i get??