Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

$800 for 6" riser install?

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2013 | 03:29 PM
XARAN
Stellar HDF Member

Usually you can get away without cables and wiring if just changing risers, especially if they are pullback risers because you are going up and back so it requires less cable and wiring then just up. You will not know until you try them to be sure but I went with 4" on my Fatboy and had plenty of room for more.

Changing the risers only takes a total of 6 bolts , 2 under the triple tree and the 4 handlebar clamp bolts, you dont even need to put it on the jack. if it doesnt need cables or wires it is a 15-20 minute job. Check with a Indy if you cant do it.

If you do end up spending that kind of $ Id look at replacing the handle bars to something that meets your needs instead of doing the risers and get them internal wired. It will look better that taller risers.

Old 07-31-2013 | 06:02 PM
rvnkontum
|
Tourer

Originally Posted by Fatbob usmc EOD
Find another dealer because that one's full of crap. I got the HD 6" pullback risers installed on my 2012 Fat Boy Lo with ABS by my local dealer. I think I paid somewhere around 250 or so for risers and install. I didn't need any new cables. The only cable that really fits tight or somewhat is the upper brake line and it's been fine for at least 10,000 miles. I would have done it myself but the dealer wasn't sure if it would need new cables or not. If I had known it didn't I would have done it myself since it's a fairly easy job. Definitely get a new dealer or buy the risers online and take the bike to an indy with a good local rep.
Thank you all, I think I;m going to go with an indy as you suggested, even if he has to change some of the cables, I'm sure it will come to less than the dealer.

Old 07-31-2013 | 06:05 PM
rvnkontum
|
Tourer

Originally Posted by XARAN
Usually you can get away without cables and wiring if just changing risers, especially if they are pullback risers because you are going up and back so it requires less cable and wiring then just up. You will not know until you try them to be sure but I went with 4" on my Fatboy and had plenty of room for more.

Changing the risers only takes a total of 6 bolts , 2 under the triple tree and the 4 handlebar clamp bolts, you dont even need to put it on the jack. if it doesnt need cables or wires it is a 15-20 minute job. Check with a Indy if you cant do it.

If you do end up spending that kind of $ Id look at replacing the handle bars to something that meets your needs instead of doing the risers and get them internal wired. It will look better that taller risers.
s it really that simple? I think I;ll look for and indy, and see if he'll let watch while he does it, maybe even help if he lets me. Maybe it is time to get a little grease under the fingernails!