Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

the fatboy saved harley?

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2007 | 01:40 PM
zeeb
6th Gear
Default RE: the fatboy saved harley?

I didn't read all of the responses, so I don't know if someone addressed part of this question.

The names of the bombs that were dropped on Hiroshima and Nagasaki were "Fat Man" and "Little Boy". The first Fat Boy had 7 pin stripes on the bike -- coincidence that December 7 was the date that the Japanese bombed Pearl Harbor?

Old 03-06-2007 | 10:27 PM
BuckeyeHD
Tourer

ORIGINAL: AGRV8D

ORIGINAL: BuckeyeHD

ORIGINAL: dragonfiregirl

ive heard that HD was near bankruptcy when they introduced the fat boy and the controversy it caused with fat boy being an acroynm for the atomic bombs and all made it a hot seller and rekindled interest in harley. is that true or exagerated?
Just marketing hype, like the one that says HD were selling Harleys in 1903, not true either, but it makes a good story.
Buckeye, please support your story about Harley no selling in 1903, dont just post something like that without any supporting evidence sir...
Sure, happy to: In 2005 the HD website said that William S Harley completed a blueprint of an engine designed to fit in a bicycle frame in 1901. This blueprint still exists today but shows a 7 cubic inch displacement with 4 inch flywheels which would not power a motorcycle. Now, later on, the "Official" history says that the first production motorcycle was made available to the public in 1903. So, we are supposed to believe that young Bill Harley and Art Davidson have gone from a chainsaw motor blueprint to a heavy duty loop frame motorcycle with a 3/18 inch bore and 3 1/2 inch stroke giving 27 cubic inches with 9 3/4 inch flywheels (which alone weigh 28 lbs) in two years. Then we are told they built two more that same year, all in a 10' x 15' frame shed without electric or machine tools. Pretty cool huh? Especially when you consider it took a team of experts and $500,000 just to design the V-Rod headlight.

In fact, if you look at old advertising posters and magazines from back then you will see variously posted that HD motorcycles first appeared on the market in 1901, 1902, 1903, 1904 or 1905.

Everyone knows the claim that C.H. Lang of Chicago wa the first Halrey dealer and supposedly sold one of the first production Harleys in 1903. In 1914 Mr Lang stated in court, under oath (during a patent infringement hearing) that he had first "become familiar" with the Harley Davidson motorcycle in the Fall of 1904.

It appears that marketing hype and the blur of time has changed the real events. Research has shown that they really did succeed in putting that little engine on a bicycle in 1903 but it was not powerful enough to ride and certainly not good enough to sell. It would be two more years, 1905, before the first production motorcycle was produced. Records started to be "massaged" by the Ad men in 1908.

None of this really detracts from what the Harley is today (I love mine) but it makes an interesting read. My sources are: Cracking the Harley Code, by Herbert Wagner, and The Harley Davidson Reader (various authors including Sonny Barger and a foreword by Jean Davidson).

Old 03-08-2007 | 02:50 AM
dragonfiregirl
|
Cruiser

the wilkepedia article on harley davidson supports buckeyes statement. bill harley and the davidson brothers built there first motorbike in 1903 but that little motor was so weak it couldnt even climb a little wisconsin hill. hd didnt incorporate in 03 either. the bike they built in 03 was a learning experience.

Old 03-08-2007 | 07:23 AM
AGRV8D
Road Master

sir thank you....love learning.

Old 03-08-2007 | 04:33 PM
tbro90fb
Advanced

ok i confess it was me who saved harley davidson by buying a 1990 fatboy so you can all thank me. just kidding of course, it is everybody who bought harleys without the people like the ones on this forum spending thier hard earned money they may not be in businees today. its always the consumer. someone always wants to credit a new design or innovation but it still comes down to the person spending the money.

Old 03-09-2007 | 02:08 AM
Gutman
Road Master

To all disbelievers, None of us were there in 1903. I do know that I just lost my Service Managers Dad that was alive at the time and he strapped a washer motor to a bicicle for a engine and rode it. When you manufature a contraption in your garage some day think of 1903 compared to 2007. You might make 1 fo you, one for your Dad and one for a buddy. If you think it's gonna sell it you sell franchises. Might take 6 months to get them one. 5 years later you might get an office person to think you will be here more than 10 years and start recording history. If your books don't mesh I hope someone like yourself "creams" your heritage. Thing is,it is claims and hearsay,so no one realy knows, but some of us think we know all the fact because what we read. If Anna Nicole Smith died in 1903 itwould take a year before Milwaukee knew.Those were wreckless kids at the time that came up with a bunch of junk before getting serious and look where it got them. It's not our job to profile. We have no idea.How many dealers today claim to be the oldest. HD knows who signed up first. My Grandpa was number 954, 1936. Fact is they built a bike in 1903. They never claimed to be the first.

Old 03-29-2007 | 10:10 PM
Oldtimer of NM
Road Master

According to official factory info, 1903 was when HD began making motorcycles for the purpose of selling them. Sure, they were out in the shed experimenting well before then, but 1903 was when they were first making motorcycles specifically to sell. Interestingly enough, it is also official factory info that serial number 001 had over 100K miles on it when HD bought it back.

Also, it is urban legend that HD "invented" the V twin. While they currently have more practice than anyone else today at making them, there were several earlier examples. Even Triumph had a V twin some 5 years before HD put them in production.

Old 03-29-2007 | 10:36 PM
WARG
Elite HDF Member

A lot of this history can be supported in the book "Harley Davidson Reader" that was mentioned above. Very good read.

Old 03-29-2007 | 11:17 PM
dragonfiregirl
|
Cruiser

anyway the fat boy has evolved over the years. the 2007 fat boy is whole diffrent from its predecesors. they sure are heavy suckers

Old 03-30-2007 | 12:11 AM
khyber
Road Captain

wow, this thread has done some traveling....interesting theories on what saved HD; mine is the $26.00 Tshirts and $600.00 leathers....oh, and all the CHROME goodies.

rs

Quick Reply: the fatboy saved harley?