Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front and rear spring solo seats

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2013 | 06:59 PM
DocFMF
|
Advanced
Default Front and rear spring solo seats

Does anyone make a bolt on kit to install front and rear spring solo seats. The wife hates the P Pad on my x-bones and I want to make her ride more comfortable. Her seat does not have to be as large as the stock front seat on the x-bones but a springer is the plan. I'd even be willing to swap out both seats for smaller ones.

Thanks in advance for any ideas.

Doc FMF

Old 07-28-2013 | 07:21 PM
Harleycruiser
Outstanding HDF Member

I've never seen one, been thinking of making one for my wife, love the spring ride.
Get ready for a hundred "why? that would look ugly" comments.

Last edited by Harleycruiser; 07-28-2013 at 07:27 PM.
Old 07-28-2013 | 07:58 PM
DocFMF
|
Advanced

I'm fine with their opinions if they are fine with my reply of "You don't have to ride it" LOL. I have been riding for 40+ years and if all the help they can provide is an opinion on how it would look... They are not bright enough for my consideration or my time.

In other words...

Old 07-28-2013 | 09:59 PM
drukanfu
Supporter

Would the ButtyBuddy work for ya ?

http://www.buttybuddy.com/butty_buddy.asp?ID=1

Old 07-28-2013 | 10:53 PM
SoCalSoftailSlim
Elite HDF Member

Just a thought..how does she like the sissy bar pad?

The reason I ask is I had one of those HD pads on my Slim's bar, and my gal was pushed forward by it, it was so billowy.

So it actually put her sitting on the very front of the passenger pad. And she couldn't lean back. She found that pretty uncomfortable.

She much prefers no pad at all on the sissy bar, which is how I run it now.

Sweet trike, by the way!

Last edited by SoCalSoftailSlim; 07-28-2013 at 10:56 PM.
Old 07-29-2013 | 08:41 AM
SprungDave
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by DocFMF
Does anyone make a bolt on kit to install front and rear spring solo seats. The wife hates the P Pad on my x-bones and I want to make her ride more comfortable. Her seat does not have to be as large as the stock front seat on the x-bones but a springer is the plan. I'd even be willing to swap out both seats for smaller ones.

Thanks in advance for any ideas.

Doc FMF
Doc, nice trike!!

You KNOW I am all about springs! I would think about designing a platform that has springs between the platform and the struts. This system would, like a buddy seat spring assist, use springs in the stretch, rather than in compression. My biggest concern about using springs for the passenger seat would be getting enough dampening travel without raising the passenger up too high to gain that spring travel clearance. Your passenger would be up another 4-6 inches above the rear fender. That is pretty high up!

Mustang makes some passenger pillions that are much wider and plush. Perhaps that is a route worth exploring. Also, putting a custom, thinner sissybar backrest, mounted higher up, would allow your passenger to sit further back and would give her a more comfortable, natural seating position on the seat itself. That would be the route I would explore first.

Keep us posted on whatever route you choose to go.

Ride safe.

Old 07-29-2013 | 09:52 AM
Jim Kraft
Outstanding HDF Member

Doc; That has to be the coolest best looking trike I have ever seen. What conversion is that?

Old 07-29-2013 | 10:08 AM
Raddazzz
Road Captain

Yeah thats a sweet trike,, I have seen some spring passenger seats on some vintage bikes at some shows. Yes they do look kinda funky but I assume they ride good. Probably will have to have someone fab one up for you if you can come up with some pics.

Old 07-29-2013 | 04:59 PM
Harleycruiser
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by SprungDave
I would think about designing a platform that has springs between the platform and the struts. This system would, like a buddy seat spring assist, use springs in the stretch, rather than in compression. My biggest concern about using springs for the passenger seat would be getting enough dampening travel without raising the passenger up too high to gain that spring travel clearance. Your passenger would be up another 4-6 inches above the rear fender. That is pretty high up!.
Dave I like that idea about using the springs in stretch, that would be cool looking, don't know how you would mount them though, also like you would have them next to the fender and above the struts.
I have been thinking about using four one at each corner and have them normal and having them preloaded so they would not be up real tall when someone was not sitting them. You could tune them to fit the weight of your passenger. I would think you would only need about an inch of movement for most roads, conditions.
So that would be an inch of movement, inch of clearance, two inches for pad seat, that makes four, not that much higher than my passenger seat.
I would also mount them on a frame that fit the quick release sissy bar mounts.
My biggest concern would be the movement if I used four think I would have to have some kind of bar to keep them from going back and forth.
Guess you could mount the fronts solid like rider seats.
I also thought to use more of a tractor style seat without the front part that goes between your legs.
This way you could get it closer to the riders seat.

Old 07-29-2013 | 07:18 PM
mrdeere1959
Advanced

Doc what seat is that, I want to put a solo spring seat on my fatboy

Quick Reply: Front and rear spring solo seats