Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front and rear spring solo seats

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2013 | 07:21 PM
Motown Strag
Road Warrior

You could maybe have someone make a plate to attach under the front of the p-pad to the underside rear of the front seat pan on your seat to make the front attachment point and then you could make a simple spring perch that could bolt to the fender with the rear seat bolt hole. The spring perch could have two springs one under each corner of the rear of the p-pad. It would be removable and would not be a permanent mod.

Both of you are going up and down at the same time anyway so having the seats tied together shouldn't be an issue.

You might have to play around with the rear spring rates depending on the weight of your passenger. There are a ton of seat springs on ebay.

Just an idea, never had a tractor seat myself. Sounds like a good project although I know you are looking for a bolt on kit.

Anyway, killer bike! coolest trike Ive ever seen.

Old 07-31-2013 | 09:01 PM
DocFMF
|
Advanced

Originally Posted by drukanfu
Would the ButtyBuddy work for ya ?

http://www.buttybuddy.com/butty_buddy.asp?ID=1
It would probably work but I'd have to take it off and put it on every time I walked away from the trike... Also it looks kinda cheap. But I do appreciate your trying to help.

Doc

Old 07-31-2013 | 09:10 PM
DocFMF
|
Advanced

Originally Posted by SoCalSoftailSlim
Just a thought..how does she like the sissy bar pad?

The reason I ask is I had one of those HD pads on my Slim's bar, and my gal was pushed forward by it, it was so billowy.

So it actually put her sitting on the very front of the passenger pad. And she couldn't lean back. She found that pretty uncomfortable.

She much prefers no pad at all on the sissy bar, which is how I run it now.

Sweet trike, by the way!
She doesn't mind the back pad but hates the pillion since it's so hard. It's 5 years old and still feels like she's sitting on a brick. I broke down and ordered a Mustang super tour seat. I'll mount that one when we ride two up and my springer when I ride solo.

Thank you

Doc

Old 07-31-2013 | 09:27 PM
DocFMF
|
Advanced

Originally Posted by SprungDave
Doc, nice trike!!

You KNOW I am all about springs! I would think about designing a platform that has springs between the platform and the struts. This system would, like a buddy seat spring assist, use springs in the stretch, rather than in compression. My biggest concern about using springs for the passenger seat would be getting enough dampening travel without raising the passenger up too high to gain that spring travel clearance. Your passenger would be up another 4-6 inches above the rear fender. That is pretty high up!

Mustang makes some passenger pillions that are much wider and plush. Perhaps that is a route worth exploring. Also, putting a custom, thinner sissybar backrest, mounted higher up, would allow your passenger to sit further back and would give her a more comfortable, natural seating position on the seat itself. That would be the route I would explore first.

Keep us posted on whatever route you choose to go.

Ride safe.
I considered going with an upgraded pillion but she started talking to her friends who's hubbys ride and she brought me a printed add about a Mustang Super Tour seat. The saddle is 5 inches thick and the drivers seat is 17.5 inches wide and the pillion is 14 inches wide. When I said NO WAY!!! she told me she had already ordered it... So I guess I'll have the saddle for an elephant when she rides with me.

The things we do for our old ladies.... Can I get an AMEN bruddas?LOL!!!

Doc

Old 07-31-2013 | 09:29 PM
DocFMF
|
Advanced

Originally Posted by Jim Kraft
Doc; That has to be the coolest best looking trike I have ever seen. What conversion is that?
Thank you and it's a Frankenstein kit.

Old 07-31-2013 | 09:37 PM
DocFMF
|
Advanced

Originally Posted by Raddazzz
Yeah thats a sweet trike,, I have seen some spring passenger seats on some vintage bikes at some shows. Yes they do look kinda funky but I assume they ride good. Probably will have to have someone fab one up for you if you can come up with some pics.
I'm a non-conventional guy... I like the look... LOL!!! But the point is moot now... It seems my trike is now joint property that gets dressed according to who has custody....

Old 07-31-2013 | 09:37 PM
DocJ
Road Master

Originally Posted by Jim Kraft
Doc; That has to be the coolest best looking trike I have ever seen. What conversion is that?
Looks to me like a Frankenstein Trike kit. The Harley shop I used to go to was a dealer for them before they changed ownership. Now I'm not sure. Anyway, Frankenstein Trikes makes a solid kit that works extremely well if you're wanting a stripped down trike.

To the OP, I've never seen a passenger spring seat, but these seats typically take up more room than typical passenger pads allot you for. So, if you fab one up, you may have to look at losing the sissy bar. At the least, that pad on it will have to go. Keep us updates on what you do with it.

EDIT: Took me so long to type this up, the trike question got answered before I was able to submit. Lol. Awesome.

Old 07-31-2013 | 09:41 PM
DocFMF
|
Advanced

Originally Posted by mrdeere1959
Doc what seat is that, I want to put a solo spring seat on my fatboy
It's the stock FLSTSB Cross Bones 2008-2011 seat.

I see them on ebay often for around $200.

Old 07-31-2013 | 09:54 PM
DocFMF
|
Advanced

Originally Posted by Motown Strag
You could maybe have someone make a plate to attach under the front of the p-pad to the underside rear of the front seat pan on your seat to make the front attachment point and then you could make a simple spring perch that could bolt to the fender with the rear seat bolt hole. The spring perch could have two springs one under each corner of the rear of the p-pad. It would be removable and would not be a permanent mod.

Both of you are going up and down at the same time anyway so having the seats tied together shouldn't be an issue.

You might have to play around with the rear spring rates depending on the weight of your passenger. There are a ton of seat springs on ebay.

Just an idea, never had a tractor seat myself. Sounds like a good project although I know you are looking for a bolt on kit.

Anyway, killer bike! coolest trike Ive ever seen.
I just figured out How to do it... Damn. I could have just removed the stock motorcycle rear fender, moved the tail light, and the license plate. Then I'd make a bracket to bolt between the fender struts. NUTS!!!

Old 07-31-2013 | 09:59 PM
DocFMF
|
Advanced

Originally Posted by DocJ
Looks to me like a Frankenstein Trike kit. The Harley shop I used to go to was a dealer for them before they changed ownership. Now I'm not sure. Anyway, Frankenstein Trikes makes a solid kit that works extremely well if you're wanting a stripped down trike.

To the OP, I've never seen a passenger spring seat, but these seats typically take up more room than typical passenger pads allot you for. So, if you fab one up, you may have to look at losing the sissy bar. At the least, that pad on it will have to go. Keep us updates on what you do with it.

EDIT: Took me so long to type this up, the trike question got answered before I was able to submit. Lol. Awesome.

Yeah Frankenstein is very cool. Easy to install and very heavy billet aluminum construction.

Quick Reply: Front and rear spring solo seats