Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Idiot in a cager cut me off. Engine guard saved my leg from worse damage.

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2013 | 08:35 AM
cmosentine
Tourer

Originally Posted by Rodzilla6
Very glad your ok. Almost once a week you have to save your own life on the road...I just assume that EVERY car is trying to kill me and act accordingly...Ride safe.
++++++++1

Old 09-02-2013 | 01:09 PM
1 Kool "MoFo"
Cruiser

Wow Crazy ! Man glad you ok !and your back is back to looking real clean . After reading this man i need to instal some on my 2005 Softail Deluxe.

Old 09-02-2013 | 05:42 PM
BigBossMan58
Novice

Fitting engine bars to my 'Slim' was the first thing I did after buying it, I like the look of them and the safety issue is a bonus.

That said, I think it's too easy to take issue with idiots on the road, better to just let them go and don't get stressed by them. They are everywhere and they always will be, it's how you react to them that will save your life.

Over here it's as much a rider's responsibility to avoid dangers as it is for others to look out for us.

Sorry for waffling on....

Glad to hear you're ok

Old 09-02-2013 | 09:12 PM
klf33
Outstanding HDF Member

Ride safe man.. glad you are OK.. I am terrified to read posts like this, I spent almost a year on crutches for the same accident but with no engine guards I had 3 surgeries before I could walk again.

Maybe I should put back those guards on my bike again !

Old 11-10-2013 | 07:37 AM
SKT
Road Master

Any updates?

Old 11-10-2013 | 07:41 AM
trooper50
Road Captain

Yea, glad to hear you made it to see another Holiday season. Blessings...

Old 11-10-2013 | 09:29 AM
hattitude
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Fabrikator
The engine guard took the most of the impact and bent back quite a bit, and even snapped in one section as you can see in the pic. bent my brake pedal and floorboard mounts.

My knee got mashed into his door, but If it wasn't for that engine guard, I'm sure my lower leg and foot would have sustained injury as well.

Ride safe brothers.
I put an engine guard on my '03 Heritage. I had it on for years. About 2 years ago, I took it off…. I wanted a more stock look….

For the last few months, I've been contemplating putting it back on the bike…

You just helped me make up my mind…!!!

It goes back on tomorrow….

This is a good reminder that not ALL accessories are just for looks… some have an important function too…

Glad you're OK…. I hope you got that knee checked out… If something is wrong, you want their insurance to cover the treatment

Old 11-10-2013 | 12:05 PM
Snowyone
Road Captain
Default guardian

Those engine guards are a bonus for sure. One of my first accessories I put on a bike. Saved numerous tank and saddle bag paint jobs and my legs over the years when the bike has fell over from mine or others stupidity. In 2011 I bought a new Fatboy Lo and on my first outing to a Hog Rally in Fairbanks I tested them out. I had just had bilateral knee replacements three months before so had me a cushy motel room. Used the neck lock for the first time(have used it forever on my 53Pan) because I couldn't see my bike and as I was warming the bike up before leaving my wife calls to check up on me. Everyone was leaving so told her I had to go. Hopped on an took off without unlocking the neck and got pitched off in about 1 sec. I was so pissed at my self but thank God everyone had already left cause I've been riding longer than any of my compadries. hahaha. Of course smacked my knee so had to ck it out first but just lost a little skin and just lost a bit of powdercoat on the botton of engine guard. Have to be on the ground to see it. Just bought a new to me 08 Crossbones and though maybe screwing up the bobber theme guards are going on!

Old 11-14-2013 | 01:32 AM
Slimshadey
Banned

I learned that on a motorcycle it's always your fault . Not legally, but that's the best mindset - you should always assume they'll do something stupid. Don't expect them to signal, stop for red lights, or follow any rules for that matter. Add to that proper lane positioning and it's almost impossible to get into an accident like this. Nothing against your riding skills just making a general statement