Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need Help w/ Aux. Light Install

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2013, 04:28 PM
Brutus01
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Help w/ Aux. Light Install

I just finished installing my aux light kit using the HD aux light harness that is supposed to allow you to have both the high beam and aux lights on at the same time. I am pretty sure I wired everything correctly because all the lights are working except that my high beam and aux lights still will not come on at the same time. They all work separately or with low beam fine. I used the wiring harness for power to the toggle switch and did not use the yellow wire behind the headlight. Did I miss something?

Also, I have a front turn signal out now but wired both sides the same way. I have the Custom Dynamics LED inserts in my factory signal housings. The insert is not twisting tightly into the housing socket when pushed all the way in but as it is coming out the LED light will flash so I know it has power to it. Any ideas if this could be a problem with the insert or the housing or if there is any way to test them?

Thx,

Brutus

Old 07-25-2013, 06:52 PM
Michael knowles
Tourer

You need a dc volt meter to trouble shoot. Low beam wiring is delivering 12 volts DC to aux. high beam not, need to figure out low beam circuit wiring & how it works. Then apply same learnt knowledge to troubleshooting method to high beams. If dealer has a plug & go harness with no changes then I'd ask them first before attempting any wiring. If your not trained with working with DC voltage don't mess around you can fry everything. I mean blue smoke everywhere & a complete re wire of your bike.

Old 07-26-2013, 08:55 AM
a99miata
Road Captain
Received 54 Likes on 39 Posts

put everything back to normal and start over...

Old 07-26-2013, 01:14 PM
Josewales
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I open up the yellow plug/conector behind the headlight for the third harness wire and it worked fine.

Concerning your custom dynamic led....cheap HD plastic crap!!!! I also had a biatch of a time to seat one of the inserts. Ended up getting stuck in the insert housing and breaking it. Must of had a crack or something. Had to order a new one.

Last edited by Josewales; 07-26-2013 at 01:18 PM.
Old 07-26-2013, 08:24 PM
Brutus01
Road Captain

Jose,

So I need to connect the yellow wire to the switch as well or crimp it together with the two power wires from the aux lamps?

I am thinking about just ordering a complete new set of LED signals but not sure what I want. Looking at some smaller joker machine signals and I think I may go with them. Any suggestions?

Thx
Brutus

Old 07-26-2013, 10:23 PM
Josewales
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Brutus01
Jose,

So I need to connect the yellow wire to the switch as well or crimp it together with the two power wires from the aux lamps?

I am thinking about just ordering a complete new set of LED signals but not sure what I want. Looking at some smaller joker machine signals and I think I may go with them. Any suggestions?

Thx
Brutus
Damn I am out of town atm bud. Cant remember how exactly I wired it. I followed the instructions and no problems. If you are still stuck next week, I will take some pics when I get home bud. And ya lots of crimping involved haha.

Old 07-27-2013, 08:02 AM
cmosentine
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Go to the stealer and buy the aux light harness. Plugs in under the tank and allows you to run lights with highs or lows. I did not have to remove the tank, just removed bolts and slid it back.

Old 07-27-2013, 09:21 AM
Bone Doc
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 10,913 Likes on 4,135 Posts

Originally Posted by Brutus01
I just finished installing my aux light kit using the HD aux light harness that is supposed to allow you to have both the high beam and aux lights on at the same time...
Originally Posted by cmosentine
Go to the stealer and buy the aux light harness. Plugs in under the tank and allows you to run lights with highs or lows. I did not have to remove the tank, just removed bolts and slid it back.
The OP is using the auxiliary light harness. When I installed mine on my Heritage, I did not have to remove the tank or slide the tank back. The connector is just inside the rubber cowl on the front left side of the tank. It's a tight space to work in but the wires can be pulled out enough to get to the harness.

OP
Review your install from start to finish. Obviously there is incorrect wiring somewhere. Make sure you have the correct connector to the auxiliary lights.