Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

calling all jockey shifters...touring guy needs some info

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2013 | 09:43 PM
Xtremerider112
|
Advanced

HAHAHA Tee&Vee. Well I like to think I dont add to the smell, but by default thats where I land. I like fixing my own stuff and when asked "Where did u buy that, I want the same one on my bike".... I get to answer "I fu###ng made it! You cant buy one!" Also I have got 90% more feedback and info here than in touring land. I might just have to wonder over here every once in a while to check in with some legit people

Old 07-29-2013 | 12:27 AM
Midgard
Outstanding HDF Member

I dont have one (yet lol) but have looked into it and asked a few guys that have em - they all say the same thing ---- takes a bit of getting used to but once you "get it" you love it -

hardest part ~~ slow left turns and parking lots (especially if you are on bumpy ground, like a grass or dirt parking area at a bike event)

Last edited by Midgard; 07-29-2013 at 12:30 AM.
Old 07-29-2013 | 01:43 AM
Xtremerider112
|
Advanced

Yeah that seems to be the general consensus, but I’m sure with time it will be second nature like everything else. And I’ll be the guinea pig and try it out and see if I don’t wreck my bike lol. That will be a perfect sales pitch “If a guy on a bagger can do it…so can u!” hahaha

Old 07-29-2013 | 08:50 AM
Redbeard719
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Marine Corp

Xtreme - Sorry I never responded to your second PM. I'm also sorry that my first PM was riddled with iPad autocorrected crap, that made me sound like an illiterate biker!

Anyway, I'm sifting through pictures, and this is what I've found.

Pulling the primary drive isn't hard at all. You need a tool to lock the chain sprockets while loosening the nuts. I forget the specific sizes, but I think they're 1 1/8" and 1 3/16". The nut for the clutch basket is a left handed thread, so its righty loosy, lefty tighty. If you have a service manual, you'll be set.

Anyway, I did pull the primary just to roll the rear shift lever back one tooth on the shift pawl. The reason this was required it because the standard orientation of the rear shift lever on the shift pawl will cause the lever to hit the pipe on downshifts. While you're in there, it's not a bad time to add a chrome inner primary!!

I'm also looking for a shot of my heatshield that I trimmed to clear on the upshifts. It was just a small semi circle on the very edge. Hardly noticeable at all.

This picture shows how long I kept the handle. It's about 1" longer than a regular handle from La Briola. The bend outwards was moved 1" upwards as well to clear the inner primary on upshifts. La Briola custom made this for me.

This shot shows the cutout. It's hard to notice, with all the shine going on. If you look directly to the left of the shift ****, you can barely see the edge of the cut radius coming back to the edge of the heatshield.

This is the comparison of the handles. Left is what I needed for the true duals, right is standard from La Briola.

Last edited by Redbeard719; 07-29-2013 at 08:54 AM.
Old 07-29-2013 | 10:34 AM
rgjujitsu
Road Master

I did labriola about 1k miles ago on my crossbones. My opinion is if you do a lot of two up riding be careful and think about it. balancing a huge touring bike loaded with stuff and passenger you better have really strong legs. Again I love it and won't go back but that is what I'd see being an issue. Also for me it wasn't as bang bang install as I expected some of the supplied bolts weren't long enough specifically for the floor boards. Good luck.

Old 07-29-2013 | 04:09 PM
Jim Kraft
Outstanding HDF Member

I remember the fun I had on my 1942 "45" flat head back in the 50's. Of course, back then the shift lever was positional for each gear rather than bump and go. And I kept my rocker clutch a rocker because my front brake cable was broken which made it exciting when having to stop at a red light on a hill. But I was only 15 and could do anything then. LOL. It's probably just me but I think a rocker clutch would be better than the sewerside and a lot safer, but maybe not as fun.

Old 07-29-2013 | 06:01 PM
Xtremerider112
|
Advanced

RedBeard thank u so much for the pics. So first things first Sick bike! I love the So Cal look on the Softails. And the jockey setup looks awesome. Ill have to call Labriola and see if he can bend mine like he did yours. I might get it in and see if it will mock up and I have enough room between my handle and my left pipe before I crack the primary, but if not ill be doing surgery just to make it work. And again depending on my clearance ill dremel my heat shields a little too. rgjujitsu...The Mrs jumps on about a dozen or less times a season so im sure I can tough it out for the few times she goes out. She is a great passenger so if I grab nuetral at lights and stop signs I think it will be ok. Jim Kraft....I looked at the rockers for this project and I just wasnt sold. Yes prob much easier and safer but just didnt like something about it. As my father always said "Before you can be old and wise...you must be young and stupid!" I havent gotten to the second of that fun phrase yet so im gunna go with the full foot clutch and see what happens. If it is too much, ill prob swap over to the rocker.

Last edited by Xtremerider112; 07-29-2013 at 06:17 PM.
Old 08-27-2013 | 11:40 PM
Xtremerider112
|
Advanced

Well...I finally did it. Called Rick at LaBriola today and ordered the jockey kit for my bike. He said 1-2 weeks but with the stuff I've heard from guys on here...I wont hold my breath. Hopefully it wont be too bad and I will still be able to get some decent miles on this fall to get used to it and will be full blown good to go next summer. Pretty excited about it, but nervous about having to learn to ride the scoot all over again.

Old 08-28-2013 | 03:30 AM
Mark3d 4 D34th
Intermediate

A guy here let me take out his Softail that was Jockey shift and it was a blast to ride and I am thinking about heading this way with the slim, but the first time I rode it I had to keep telling myself only put down the right foot and foot clutch foot clutch. I came thru the base gate totally forgot about the clutch pedal and she started shaking like crazy till the oh **** factor kicked in. Good luck I hope it works out as it is deffinitly cool. Keep us posted