Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tuning without a Dyno...

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2013, 10:54 AM
47909Rider
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tuning without a Dyno...

I have the SE Super/Race Tuner (32109-08C), and it was used to dyno-tune my bike at the dealership when I had the SE A/C and Rush slip-ons installed.

The dyno tune gave me quite a bit of noticeable "seat of the pants" power and I like it a lot.

HOWEVER, of course, I suspect the bike is still very lean-running, and I'm wondering if it's possible to fix this without access to a dyno.

I know I'd have to buy the tuner software and cables, but if I did that, would it be possible to fine-tune the bike and get it running richer, without having to re-dyno it? (Dyno time is expensive.)

Old 07-23-2013, 11:38 AM
xwhyz1959
Stellar HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 1,742 Likes on 524 Posts

XiED's maybe.

Old 07-23-2013, 11:59 AM
tbonetony06
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

A dyno is costly but there is no replacement or substitute for it either. Always remember, you get what you pay for OR you don't get anything that you don't pay for. I just changed the pipes on my bike and it is going in for a Dyno 1st chance I can get when I get a ride there and back after dropping it off. I have motor work and it was Dyno'd with the SE race tuner after that. I have been told that by just changing these pipes I don't need to reDyno it but those who tell me that are wrong. I can already notice, by the seat of my pants that my bike has lost a tad coming from that Python 2 into 1 to these pipes. Not bad though or even enough to concern me or wanting to put my old pipe back on. The thing a Dyno does, 1 of the things, is it gets everything firing and working to a T and like the bike was designed to perform. Lets just say that something, anything was off just a bit, maybe not even noticeably. Now, is that going to hurt or harm the bike? Probably not.....for the immediate future but put 20k, 30k miles on it slightly off kilter and over time that adds up resulting in damage and poor performance. I want my bike firing and performing to perfection otherwise, what's the point in all that work? I have seen many guys dump big coin into their bikes motors then skimp on the Dyno and I never understood that. I would also recommend and INDY Dyno shop too. Harley Stealerships have to Dyno to Harley specifications and EPA guidelines and regulations so it will still run hot afterwards. A good INDY shop who knows what they are doing with a Dyno can work wonders on a bike and gets its peak and optimum performance out of it and in the end thats what we all want, what we all paid for when we started all these upgrades and modifications in the first place.

Old 07-23-2013, 12:07 PM
XARAN
Stellar HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts

Yes, you can either alter your cells manually or do a couple data runs to self tune on the newer Se Tuners and TTS, PV ect.

If the bike is running good dont assume that just because it was tuned at a dealership it is still lean. If they had sold you a Stage 1 download to change your MAP it would be a EPA lean tune, but if they actually put the bike on the dyno and used the tuner to get it tuned it very likely is good to go. We have a lot of dealers in SO Cal that have good dyno techs and only if they use the HD canned map or use the SE Syreet Tuner are they limited to EPA complient tunes.

Go to the dealer that tuned it and they should have the file on your tune and see for yourself

Old 07-23-2013, 10:08 PM
roadkingharry
Road Captain
Received 50 Likes on 22 Posts

The dealership should have given you a dyno sheet, on the bottom portion is the a/f ratio at various rpm's. That will tell you whether the engine is running lean or rich. Post it so we can have a look.

Old 07-24-2013, 04:11 AM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 819 Likes on 805 Posts

Get a copy of Ur dyno from where U had it dynoed.. It should have the A/F mix at the bottom of Ur sheet. IF not ask for one that show's it

That way U won't be guessing what it is.. Besides about every dyno sheet I've seen most tuners will tune the SERT around 13.8.

Old 07-24-2013, 05:26 AM
47909Rider
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll check the sheet. I believe it's a summary sheet that only shows the HP/TQ vs. RPM curves, but heck, I'll double-check.