Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Regret Changeing Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2007 | 01:11 AM
softail2005
Road Captain
Default RE: Regret Changeing Exhaust

I put on the V&H Big Shot Staggered Pipes and they have quite a sound. They sound darn nice up in the woods and coming down the Columbia River gorge. I have the quiet baffels but decided not to install them unless I get complaints from my neighbors or start getting tickets in urban areas.

Old 03-08-2007 | 10:24 AM
HOGWYLDPR
Tourer

I swapped out my Thunderheaders for Rineharts and I could not be happier. Very deep tone without being too loud. Fit and finish are great too. Pilzner thanks for the info on the quiet baffles.

Old 03-08-2007 | 11:36 AM
OldFenderGuy
Ultimate HDF Member

ORIGINAL: BuckeyeHD

I also hated that I could see the back of the top pipe reflected in the oil tank (now that I've told you that's all you will see when you look at your scoot).
That's the one thing I don't like about the shotgun exhaust I have with the 'old style' 80354-00 SE2 mufflers.

And now that you have mentioned it I'll notice it even more. [8D]

Old 03-08-2007 | 12:12 PM
Mrkicks
Road Warrior

I have the BSS and love the looks, but would like a deeper tone. Sounds like the quiet baffles may be the answer, but would the bike have to be dyno'd again? Also, anyone know how hard it is to swap baffles?

Old 03-09-2007 | 12:31 AM
BarryN
Tourer

I see a lot of you are running the V&H pipes. I have them on my lowrider but still stock on my 07 Softail.

What are most of you doing as far as fuel pack, PCC or RT?? and did you have to dyno?

Old 03-09-2007 | 03:08 AM
mcpastor
Tourer

Have V&H Straightshots. Sound like screamingthunder when revved. Definitely don't want to rev in the garage too much--totally overblows eardrums witha ripping sound. I have done this with guests in the garage and they either cover their ears (with a look of excruciating pain) or head for the door. Neighbors 3 streets down heard me start it up in my garage last week. Big performance boost, too. Really comes to life, especiallyin the upper RPM range. Actually starts to sound alarmingly "urgent" at these RPM's. (You know what I mean if you have gone to the races.) Warning: You will experience chronic throttle syndrome. Sound great when cruising, but best when going all out. My bike likes to accelerate up to the red line in each gear while most HD riders have shifted twice already. These are racing pipes that not only turn heads but sometimes evoke fear from innocent pedestrians. Cage drivers on the highway actually move over in their lane when they hear me coming up beside them. I have set car alarms off on more than one occasion. Loud deceleration complete with untamed crackles and pops, even more so in hot weather. Can't sneak in at midnight, butneighbors still wave with an envious smile during the day.

Am I exaggerating? Maybe just a little. (It's winter here, so I may be dreaming a bit.) Plus, onlyONE of my biker friends refuses to ride behind me. These are not the loudest pipes on the market, but they are very loud. I can tell from other posts here thatloud is not some people'sthing.My V&H's have more of what I would call a racing sound, with more of a raw, uncovered edge than the Screaming Eagles.A little incongruous with a Heritage Classic, which deserves more time-honored respect than this. It's a cruiser, not a racer. But when I ditch the bags and shield, the Harley & V&H racing heritage overtake nostalgia.

This is what I paid for. Gasoline, Grit and Gut-Wrenching Glory.

[IMG]local://upfiles/5220/8FE6304B2AF74D39B10757F1410A4FCD.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/5220/E1D072FCBB49492CBDE3F19AF364471D.jpg[/IMG]