Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Regret Changeing Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2007 | 09:10 PM
Dinger
Road Master
Default RE: Regret Changeing Exhaust

Did you buy your pipes based on looks orhave your heard how they sound before purchasing them? I've ridden my friend's Heritage Softail with BSL pipes. It's loud, he even cut his baffles down to 3 inches. But that makes the bike more fun.

I just installedBSL pipes on my '07 and it's a huge adjustment from the almost non-existant sound of the stock mufflers.Hope my neighbors can deal withthe noise cause I'm not goingback to stock! Icalled Vance & Hines and there is a quiet baffle howeverthey told methe noise difference is like 1 or2 decibles. The quiet baffles mainly decrease the sharpness of the pipe and lower the tone. There's another threadabout Big City Thunder www.bigcitythunder.com They produce a baffle with a smaller diameter center that offers more back pressure and a quiet/lowexhaust tone.

My only concern is scraping thelower pipe on right hand turns. I'm already scraping the floorboards!

Give yourpipes a little more time and check into a new set of baffles.

Old 03-01-2007 | 09:18 PM
Soft06
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: HarleyWood

Ayyuup...
Bike is 10 months old. 11k miles...and has had 5 exhaust systems....
[sm=WTFsgign.gif]5 EXHAUST SYSTEMS!!?? Ok,,,,I need to learn how you convinced your other half, (assuming there is one) that the other 4 systems were "needed"??!! [sm=hail.gif]
I will make payments for the info if you don't take VISA...

Old 03-01-2007 | 10:15 PM
Heritage07
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: Hogaholic

Ive got the rush slip ons, 2.0 baffles. There perfect, deep and loud when you get on it , but like stock when your cruising.
ORIGINAL: Grey Biker

I installed a V.H. big shot long exhaust on my 06 Heritage Classic. I find that this exhaust system is very loud, however it has no or very little tone. If I had it to do again, I wouldn't. Has anyone ever ben displeased with their exhaust after installed.
Couldn't have said it better myself. Rush mufflers have an awesome deep sound.

Old 03-01-2007 | 10:15 PM
txfatboyz
Cruiser

I like my big radius pipes nice and loud

Old 03-01-2007 | 10:33 PM
DAVE12345
Advanced

You betcha, I put on a set of SE performance slipons on my 07 FLSTC and hate them. Have a new set of rushes coming in tomorrow..

Old 03-01-2007 | 10:40 PM
thebestofindica
Tourer

ORIGINAL: mimo

Yes Sr. I have gone tru several exhaust systems (last removed were V&H BigShots, too high pitch for my taste), finally I'm happy with my Thunder Headers now

Regards.

Mimo.
ORIGINAL: gconklin

nope, i LOVE my thunder headers!

but I am sorry for your experience. its a bummer we can't test them out first. But perhaps you can sell em and get some money back?
Thunderheader for the win!

Old 03-01-2007 | 10:55 PM
Pilzner
Cruiser

I did a lot of research online. Unfortunately I didn't have much hands-on access. I determined that Rinehart 2-1 system would be the best. Most said it added good performance, deep sound, but not too loud. Well for me they were a bit too loud. I loved the deep, aggressive tone, and if I were in the boonies, I would stick with em. But I leave for work before 6, and more importantly I park in a garage (I was afraid of setting off a bunch of alarms).

I ordered the quiet baffles and am now very satisfied. They are not much louder than stock, but still have better tone. I can get on it and it sounds very good, but I can keep it low if I'm careful. Guess I was lucky - 1st set of pipes and a $100 set of new baffles.

BTW, I am keeping the loud baffles for road trips and fests .

Old 03-02-2007 | 12:43 AM
Geoseismic
Road Captain

I put SE II's on shortly after taking delivery. The dealer bike I test road had SE II's with stage one and I really liked the sound and performance. If you have SE II's and aren't happy with the sound, give them some time! When I had put about 8K on the bike, the tone and volume really changed. After 12K, they are almost too loud, but have settled out. I like loud, but prefer to keep it at a low frequency. I like the way Hookers, Python, and Cycle Shack sound, but don't care for the sound of V&H.

Old 03-02-2007 | 01:48 AM
Texas Fat Boy
Extreme HDF Member

I agree try a different baffle.
I know my Rush comes in three different sizes.

Oh by the way, Rush has a great sound.
Now I own a Harley.

Old 03-02-2007 | 06:41 AM
O6FXST
Road Captain

Love my V&H Straightshots, perfect in every way!

Rick

Quick Reply: Regret Changeing Exhaust