Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Confused on Tuner

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2013, 01:32 PM
DocJ
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Confused on Tuner

I recently purchased an '07 Softail Custom from a local dealership. It was all too tempting. lol.

Anyway, I was told AFTER paperwork that it had a Screaming Eagle tuner installed. Well, we found it IN one of the saddle bags. Then the service guy told me it was a street tuner.

This bike has the backplate of the stock A/F removed and SE slip-ons. A tuner isn't really needed for this, I don't think. But, I do plan to take it to a full on system later on, so a tuner is important.

So...the tuner is not installed, yet. Is this in fact a street tuner? I'm concerned, as a street tuner sounds all but useless. Could I sell it?
It is orange, part number 32109-08B. Doesn't say "street" on it anywhere.

Thanks for any help! I tried searching the forums, but haven't been able to find what I'm looking for exactly.

Old 07-22-2013, 01:39 PM
Aaresz
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As I understand it the SE tuner is "married" to the bike and therefore couldn't be used by someone else. That is not to say that the previous owner didn't purchase the parts and never had the bike tuned using it though.

Old 07-22-2013, 01:41 PM
Pa-Rider
Road Master

The thing with the SE Street Tuner and the SE Pro Super Tuner is that they don't stay connected to the ECM. Mine actually stays in my toolbox in the garage unless I'm actively doing tuning. You would hook it up, do your tuning run or dyno, and then the tuner does all the calculations, and you upload the changes to the ECM via a laptop through the tuner.

Also, if the tuner has been used on that bike, it's probably married to the ECM and can't be used on any other bike.

Old 07-22-2013, 10:23 PM
DocJ
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ah. OK. Makes sense. So, if in fact the tuner has been "married" to the bike, I'm pretty much stuck with it. How would I find out for sure?
I have no problems with, considering I didn't know the bike came with it when I purchased it. However, it would have been nice if it was a "race" tuner instead of a "street". But, in that, I'm still a little confused. Looking at the tuner, I would think it was not a "street", but this is not my specialty. Any input here?
It didn't come with any data transfer equipment, etc. Is the only way to run upgrades on these tuners through the actually dealership? Or could an indie shop do it, too? I suppose it's all in the asking around.

Old 07-23-2013, 10:44 AM
TheTroupe
Road Master

You can purchase the software and data cable to do you own tuning. It will also tell you if the tuner has been synced with the EFI of the bike. The dealer can do this as well for short money.

Old 07-23-2013, 10:47 AM
47909Rider
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Google search for H-D P/N 32109-08B reveals "Screamin' Eagle Pro Super Tuner" so I would say it is the higher end version, not the crappy Street version.

Odd, though, my Super Tuner is P/N 32109-08C. Must be a later revision?

Old 07-23-2013, 10:50 AM
MyBigBlue
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

SCREAMIN’ EAGLE® PRO SUPER TUNER. So this is what you have if you gave the right part number....

Get the biggest advantage at the race track with the Screamin’ Eagle Pro EFI Super Tuner. The hardware and software in the Super Tuner makes EFI tuning easier with dozens of innovative tuning enhancements. Super Tuner is available in 8 languages (English, Spanish, German, French, Japanese, Italian, Portuguese, and Dutch), and is compatible with Windows® XP and Vista. The Super Tuner includes an ergonomically improved Vehicle Communication Interface (VCI) box. The new VCI allows USB connectivity to your PC and contains on board memory for a full 15 minutes of data recording, tracking up to 26 data variables. Data recording is conveniently activated with a push of a button, allowing the VCI to be taken to the track to gather data during true race conditions. Cable Kit (P/N 32184-08) is sold separately and provides all necessary connections between Motorcycle, VCI, and PC / Laptop. The Super Tuner Software is easy to use with a large icon layout, compatible with touch screen laptops, the ability to work in 4 windows (tables) at one time, and enhanced help tools to keep you on track. Data and Tuning functions are combined into a single application, ensuring you are only 2 clicks away from any major tuning function. With a click of a button, the software automatically connects to the internet and updates to the most current version as well as retrieves the newest calibrations devel- oped by professional Screamin’ Eagle calibrators. Software contains built-in model recognition that filters calibrations, listing those that are applicable to your model. State-of-the- art graphing capabilities illustrate tables clearly, highlighting areas for improvement, and are fully scalable and custom- izable. Additional features include editable calibration text, custom note fields, drag and drop, cut and paste, and print- ing capability. To get you on the track quickly, Screamin’ Eagle offers a comprehensive computer based training DVD, (P/N 32101-08). For race application only.

Old 07-23-2013, 03:46 PM
ChickinOnaChain
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3,075 Likes on 2,558 Posts

I had ordered the Race Tuner for my bike but the shop said it wouldn't match up to my bike. So they sold me the Super Tuner, at the cost of the ST, which is a better tuner. I just know it's a waste, since I'll never do any engine work on it. Pipes and AC is all I wanted.

Old 07-24-2013, 05:36 AM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 819 Likes on 805 Posts

back in 07 they only had the SERT.. or SE race tuner.

now their best is the SEpST. I know its the one I'll get if I ever buy another bike without a tuner.

Old 07-24-2013, 11:49 AM
Arrogant Bastard
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ChickinOnaChain
I had ordered the Race Tuner for my bike but the shop said it wouldn't match up to my bike. So they sold me the Super Tuner, at the cost of the ST, which is a better tuner. I just know it's a waste, since I'll never do any engine work on it. Pipes and AC is all I wanted.
For what you wanted, you would have been better off going to FuelMoto and getting one of their pre-tuned PCs. It would have been cheaper and just as effective if not more. I think you probably coulda used their micro tuner.

Last edited by Arrogant Bastard; 07-24-2013 at 04:06 PM.

Quick Reply: Confused on Tuner