Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Exile internal throttle.

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2013, 06:44 PM
tbonetony06
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Exile internal throttle.

I was in and out of the shop all day today trying to expedite getting my bike up and running for this weekend. The Cholos are on, the Gangsters are on and all of the internal wiring, cables and hoses have been run through them too. The hydraulic clutch is on as well. Saturday, 1st thing will be installing the Ness chrome fork boots and then button everything down tight. My pipe on the left side sicks out a bit more than I have seen on other bikes so if anyone knows of a trick to get them in tight up against the oil tank I'm all ears. I had a few guys contact me over the Exile internal throttle set up and now that I have seen how it's done, helped a little it wasn't bad at all and in fact, it works AWESOME, it snaps right back when you take your hand off of it. Thats really the way to go guys whoever might be installing one or even thinking about internals. It was NOT complicated at all. I will try to get a few close up shots on the bars and the internals as well as a few other close up's some guys have been asking me for. This is just me but I don't like apes with all those long lines and hoses bouncing around and flapping in the wind. These 14" Gangsters look SUPER bad azz with everything run through them, it looks SO clean up front now. I'm very, very pleased. My Shotgun is still my favorite mod but boy, with this run internally it's a tight and close 2nd best to me. It even looks far better then I thought it would. I figure maybe maybe 3 hours of work in the morning then it's on it's way home for a wash, wax, detail job AND pictures. I then have to take the bike to the upholsterers so that I can match up the white on my seat with my bike and get that done too. Then it's off to my Dyno Dude, AFTER I go riding all weekend. I didn't think this day was ever going to come but boy, it looks very much like it is going to be worth the wait. I didn't even start it with the new pipes on it. I want to save that so the the very 1st time I do start it, I will be starting it to take off and go riding. I do want to stress this though. If anyone has or is thinking about Apes, seriously consider going all internals on them, it just looks so sweet and so clean up front. If you already have apes then you are already half way there. I also know about how tight money can be too but I just really wanted to throw all that out there to get you thinking if you would ever want them or not. The Exile is REALLY a nice set up guys, it truly is. I have never had apes, never rode a bike with apes but as long as this does not make it harder on my back and tailbone I think I am going to LOVE these things. I am also already catching chit, nicely, for my 39" cholos being a fraction of an inch off the ground when I slammed it down there just now. To all the guys out there that inspired me to get this done, thanks a TON. The bike just looks bad azz, sicker and slicker than ****!
EDIT:, I do want to stress that my mechanic did all of this work and he did it well. I just watched a little and helped a little but after watching him do it, I think even I could put one of those on. Also, I had a few guys tell me I was going to have to cut 4"s off of the bars to make this internal system work. That was not the case when we just put mine on. He only had to cut about 2"'s off of the bars and about an inch off of the internal throttle itself. With the white and chrome grips that I got just looks awesome on there. And the reason I don't do all of my work is three fold as I have explained before. My Son has my tools all over town, I rarely get days of this time of year and quit frankly I am one of the unluckiest bastards you will ever meet! I usually end up worse off then before I started when I try to do chit, especially when it comes to wiring and electrical work. Pics coming right after I get it home and detailed out. It might also be nice to know in advance how to post multiple pictures here too.

Last edited by tbonetony06; 07-18-2013 at 06:57 PM.
Old 07-18-2013, 07:22 PM
Midgard
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I dont care who did the work lol. I just wanna see the pics of these mods you have been talking about for a year

Old 07-18-2013, 08:36 PM
Redbeard719
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Marine Corp
Received 1,226 Likes on 550 Posts

Originally Posted by Midgard
I dont care who did the work lol. I just wanna see the pics of these mods you have been talking about for a year
No kidding! We're a visual bunch....where's the pics?

Old 07-18-2013, 09:00 PM
tbonetony06
Outstanding HDF Member

Yea Midgard I hear ya. I am guilty as charged of dragging my feet. To be honest Midgard? I was really worried on how much I would like this set up or wouldn't like it. After today, seeing it, sitting on it I think it might be a match made in Heaven. I REALLY LOVE that look and the internal everything just looks so cool, so sick, so clean and so bad azz!!! I just kind of had a **** load of back luck, one thing after another since the 1st of the year. It is basically done now though. All we have to do is those Ness fork boots and tighten everything down. I sure would like some help though of how to get that left side pipe tucked in snug up against the oil tank. Thats going to bug the **** out of me being the perfectionist that I am. I just don't want to start cutting on anything unless I have NO other option. Because of the move I can't even find anyone to talk to at Samson who knows what I am talking about. If you or anyone else can help me that would be **** big time! Say I get it home tomorrow by noon, I'm looking at a good 5 or 6 hours of cleaning and detailing. By then it should be dark out but it will be ready for pictures first thing Sunday morning. I don't think pictures do certain things or certain bikes justice or look as nice as they really are. I will do my best to get a few good ones of the bars with the internals running through them. Just be warned 1st though, if the pictures turns out nice you may find yourself wanting to have a "new project" on your bike this coming winter, if not sooner. I do apologise though for talking about all this work and these parts......for the past 7 or 8 months. For all intent and purposes though, the bike is basically done and will be ready to roll by noon tomorrow if we start on it by 7 or 8 O'clock in the morning. Thanks again to anyone who can help me out with these pipes too.

Old 07-18-2013, 10:56 PM
harleyheaven
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Can't wait to see it! Your best option on pictures is http://photobucket.com/
to get some full size pictures in your post. It's pretty simple to use and if you have any issues someone on here can help out.

Old 07-19-2013, 12:01 AM
Midgard
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tbonetony06
Yea Midgard I hear ya. I am guilty as charged of dragging my feet. To be honest Midgard? I was really worried on how much I would like this set up or wouldn't like it. After today, seeing it, sitting on it I think it might be a match made in Heaven. I REALLY LOVE that look and the internal everything just looks so cool, so sick, so clean and so bad azz!!! I just kind of had a **** load of back luck, one thing after another since the 1st of the year. It is basically done now though. All we have to do is those Ness fork boots and tighten everything down. I sure would like some help though of how to get that left side pipe tucked in snug up against the oil tank. Thats going to bug the **** out of me being the perfectionist that I am. I just don't want to start cutting on anything unless I have NO other option. Because of the move I can't even find anyone to talk to at Samson who knows what I am talking about. If you or anyone else can help me that would be **** big time! Say I get it home tomorrow by noon, I'm looking at a good 5 or 6 hours of cleaning and detailing. By then it should be dark out but it will be ready for pictures first thing Sunday morning. I don't think pictures do certain things or certain bikes justice or look as nice as they really are. I will do my best to get a few good ones of the bars with the internals running through them. Just be warned 1st though, if the pictures turns out nice you may find yourself wanting to have a "new project" on your bike this coming winter, if not sooner. I do apologise though for talking about all this work and these parts......for the past 7 or 8 months. For all intent and purposes though, the bike is basically done and will be ready to roll by noon tomorrow if we start on it by 7 or 8 O'clock in the morning. Thanks again to anyone who can help me out with these pipes too.

I Hear ya tbone you must be pumped! I guarantee after 1 or 2 days of riding with the apes you are going to be as happy as you are with the SS (okay maybe that's an overstatement - especially in your case lol)

One thing -- above in bold purple - you have got your chit in the wrong order my friend --- let me correct that for you

Say I get it back tomorrow by noon, I'm looking at a good 5 or 6 hours of riding it an enjoying it then that night I can clean and detail the chit out of it. By then it should be time for a few cold ones and some shut eye, but it will be ready for pictures first thing Sunday morning.

Old 07-19-2013, 05:30 AM
fatboy1729
Road Captain
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

You know damb well Tony that I can't wait to see her. I am sure it is going to be all worth the wait...

Old 07-19-2013, 10:03 AM
jcallesano
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I need to see the installed finished product.

I have the exile throttle sitting and haven't installed it. Bought it two years ago. lol
This is one mod I wont do myself.

Old 07-19-2013, 10:17 AM
tbonetony06
Outstanding HDF Member

Yea, no chit Midgard!!! I am pretty pumped. I still can't get over how nice these bars looks all cleaned up like it is with everything run internally. I was really worried about this Exile internal throttle but it actually went on and worked easily and just like it is supposed to work. It also snaps back very nicely when you take your hand off of the throttle. Also jcallesano, I didn't want to attempt that myself either so I passed it off to my mechanic guy but after watching and helping a little it's no big thing, it really isn't. I have a camera here sitting waiting. I HAVE to get it cleaned up before I shoot some pics but that should be sometime later today, tonight or 1st thing tomorrow morning and I will then run the camera down to Walgreens and wait for the pics and then I will come right home and post them up. I will also get you guys a few close ups of the bars and the internals so you guys can see for yourself how nice it looks. WARNING: That might be an expensive thing for you guys to see too!!! LOL... It just looks very "classy", very "professionally" done with the way it looks. Pricey? Yea, a little. Worth every penny? You bet it was!!! It does come in 2nd, right behind the SS's in my list of favorite mods. Stay tuned, the pics are only, at the most, a day away.
EDIT:, I also can't wait to get my seats back too but that is about 2 weeks out. The reason for that is because I didn't know there were so many shades of white so I told the upholsterer to hold off until I can get the bike there to match up the white we are going to use to match up with the white on the bike itself.

Last edited by tbonetony06; 07-19-2013 at 10:25 AM.