Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Scavenger...Anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2013, 06:16 AM
fatboy1729
Road Captain
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Thumbs up Scavenger...Anyone?

Anyone out there using this? Check it out! It's an oil change system/kit. We all know that up to 24 oz. of dirty oil is left in the bag and around inside of the motor. That's why when your service manual says your bike takes 3.5 qts. of oil, you will only be able to put in approx. 3. This kit is handy especially when one wants to change over to synthetic and your not mixing old dirty oil with the new synthetic. Probably won't get alot of replies on this one but for the ones that do it themselves should just check it out. I just got one and it works and the results are unbelievable and it is guaranteed. It's only a 2 minute video. Just trying to help others.
http://shop.roguechopper.com/

Old 07-16-2013, 07:06 AM
Warp Factor
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 88 Likes on 76 Posts

In the video, how is the engine getting oil flow and pressure if the oil is being dumped at the filter fitting, with the engine running, before reaching the main parts of the engine?

Maybe some versions are different, and dump the oil from the oil bag return line, but the version in the video isn't something I'd be very comfortable with.

Old 07-16-2013, 07:10 AM
t03cutt3r
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I did mine for $13 total. Here's how.

This is what you need. Sears sells a quick disconnect fuel line tool for $8 (http://www.sears.com/lisle-ac-fuel-l...p-00946337000P). This is used to remove the oil return line. Then I bought some clear 3/8 tubing from Home Depot for $5. The process is simple. Drain your oil and leave the old oil filter on. When you add the oil, only put in at the most 2.5 quarts. Disconnect the return line, attach the 3/8 hose that goes into a collection container that has ounces (oz) marked on the side. I found an old drain cleaner bottle that I used, drilled a 3/8 hole in the top of it and fed the tubing in. Start the bike and watch the last bit of nasty oil get pumped out into your container ~ 30 secs of run time or at least 24oz. Reconnect the return line (pushes in and clicks when seated). Change your oil filter, then however much oil was pumped out, put that back in. Check levels and adjust accordingly. The way I did it, I used the old oil filter as the "puck".

Old 07-16-2013, 10:02 AM
gedakbx
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by t03cutt3r
I did mine for $13 total. Here's how.

This is what you need. Sears sells a quick disconnect fuel line tool for $8 (http://www.sears.com/lisle-ac-fuel-l...p-00946337000P). This is used to remove the oil return line. Then I bought some clear 3/8 tubing from Home Depot for $5. The process is simple. Drain your oil and leave the old oil filter on. When you add the oil, only put in at the most 2.5 quarts. Disconnect the return line, attach the 3/8 hose that goes into a collection container that has ounces (oz) marked on the side. I found an old drain cleaner bottle that I used, drilled a 3/8 hole in the top of it and fed the tubing in. Start the bike and watch the last bit of nasty oil get pumped out into your container ~ 30 secs of run time or at least 24oz. Reconnect the return line (pushes in and clicks when seated). Change your oil filter, then however much oil was pumped out, put that back in. Check levels and adjust accordingly. The way I did it, I used the old oil filter as the "puck".
Any chance you could post a pic of the return line you are disconnecting? I am going to do an oil change sometime this week.

thanks

Old 07-16-2013, 11:50 AM
Ramboamt
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by gedakbx
Any chance you could post a pic of the return line you are disconnecting? I am going to do an oil change sometime this week.

thanks

Old 07-16-2013, 12:00 PM
t03cutt3r
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Old 07-16-2013, 12:02 PM
PPBART
Elite HDF Member
Received 143 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by gedakbx
Any chance you could post a pic of the return line you are disconnecting?...
I'm interested, too.

Old 07-16-2013, 03:17 PM
UT-rckr
Road Master

Having a bit of "dirty" oil in your engine still won't hurt anything. I would rather that than running my engine a bit low as you are draining the oil with the engine running. Much more chance of hurting something there than with half old oil. No discredit to your creativity here, but it just takes one part getting no lube to screw something up, where as the old oil will do no harm.

Old 07-16-2013, 03:23 PM
Misbehaven
Elite HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by UT-rckr
Having a bit of "dirty" oil in your engine still won't hurt anything. I would rather that than running my engine a bit low as you are draining the oil with the engine running. Much more chance of hurting something there than with half old oil. No discredit to your creativity here, but it just takes one part getting no lube to screw something up, where as the old oil will do no harm.
Pumping the old oil out of the return line will not effect the lubrication of any parts unless you get carried away and pump out way too much oil.

Old 07-16-2013, 04:55 PM
UT-rckr
Road Master

Agreed, just not worth that risk in my opinion all just to get some "dirty" oil out that is not an issue to begin with

Quick Reply: Scavenger...Anyone?