Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Using a J&S jack with a Softail

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2013 | 12:47 AM
Falcon195
|
Road Master
Default Using a J&S jack with a Softail

When I purchased my J&S jack I owned a 2012 Street Glide.
Now I own a 2012 Fat Boy.
So when using the J&S jack with my Fat Boy does the rear rail of the jack go behind or in front of the shocks?
And if it goes behind the shocks, exactly what is the placement of the rear jack rail, as there isn't much room and the oil drain plug which is integrated into the frame seems like it would get in the way.

Old 07-13-2013 | 04:30 AM
Rakthi
Road Warrior

The J&S jack can go under the shocks. Doesn't matter.

I had my bike on it like that for extended periods when working on it. No problems ever.

Attached a pic so you can see where I had the lift.

If it worries you, get about .25 inches of hard rubber and tape it to the frame where the jack will go. That way the bike will not rest on the shocks.

Attached Thumbnails Using a J&S jack with a Softail-img_9551.jpg  
Old 07-13-2013 | 06:46 AM
Falcon195
|
Road Master

Thanks for the reply and the pic.
So you are saying the shocks are taking the majority of the load of the rear beam?
Because on my Fat Boy the shocks hang slightly below the level of the frame and if I put the rear beam of the jack across the frames where the shocks are the shocks will be taking the majority of the side load from the rear jack beam.
BTW I tried calling J&S a few times this past week and they were not answering the phone, so I couldn't get an answer from them.
Thanks

Last edited by Falcon195; 07-13-2013 at 06:48 AM.
Old 07-13-2013 | 08:36 AM
Brent Smith
Cruiser

J&S will send you a couple of 4" pieces of rubber if you ask them. Any solid rubber will do the job though. Just put it on the frame, or the jack rear beam and it'll take the load off the shocks.

Old 07-13-2013 | 08:44 AM
rooti
Ultimate HDF Member

We called J&S before we used it on my brothers softail. They said to put the rear rail on the shocks. They have never had an issue doing this. My brother stores it this way when he's not riding and no issues whatsoever

Old 07-13-2013 | 09:01 AM
jam436
Supporter

Originally Posted by rooti
We called J&S before we used it on my brothers softail. They said to put the rear rail on the shocks. They have never had an issue doing this. My brother stores it this way when he's not riding and no issues whatsoever
It just didn't look like I could lift the bike without straddling the shocks... so I said the hell with it.
My Slim sat like that on a lift for the better part of the last winter, no issues...

Old 07-13-2013 | 09:47 AM
Warp Factor
Outstanding HDF Member

I think the shock mount rubber bushings will let the shocks deflect enough that there won't really be much load on the shocks.

Old 07-13-2013 | 11:17 AM
asa1199
Tourer
Veteran: Army

HD sells frame protectors for $25 part # 94675-99

Old 07-13-2013 | 12:06 PM
IronAss
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army

Originally Posted by Brent Smith
J&S will send you a couple of 4" pieces of rubber if you ask them. Any solid rubber will do the job though. Just put it on the frame, or the jack rear beam and it'll take the load off the shocks.
Or you can get a set from Harley. They are made to fit the frame and protect the shocks. Just remember to remove them after you take the bike off the jack. I forgot once and didn't notice it for a day or so. They did stay put, can't believe I didn't notice, they are bright orange.

Old 07-13-2013 | 07:10 PM
Falcon195
|
Road Master

Well I went out to the garage this morning to wash my bike, anyway I went to put the bike up on the J&S lift and right where the rear beam rests against the rear frame there are two zip ties holding a cable that runs along the right lower frame.
So without cutting the zip ties I can't seem to get the jack to rest on the rear portion of the frame because the zip ties interfere. I don't want to have to cut the zip ties every time I want to use the jack. Go figure.
BTW I made a couple of 4 x 1-1/2 x 1/4 " rubber spacers to keep the lift from contacting the shocks.

Quick Reply: Using a J&S jack with a Softail