Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Custom Dynamics turn signals on Breakout, Canbus load resistor

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2013 | 08:07 AM
RedRider0151
|
Tourer
Default Custom Dynamics turn signals on Breakout, Canbus load resistor

Lots of questions as to where to install it....

It goes under your seat...on the throttle side, there is a harness with all your signal wires. You tap the red & yellow in the harness with the red from the Can-bus and the black to any ground. it was dirt simple and took all of a minute to do.

Here, I ran downstairs and snapped a few pics...just tuck the wire and load resistor along the side of your battery out of the way...I untucked it for the pictures...

Old 04-22-2014 | 06:34 PM
Breakout Boy
6th Gear

Do you still have the pics available? Thanks

Old 04-22-2014 | 07:13 PM
jam436
Supporter

Originally Posted by Breakout Boy
Do you still have the pics available? Thanks
Since like the Slim, the Breakout doesn't have a dedicated brake light and they share a common Softail wiring harness, check out this thread for where to attach a C.D. can-bus adapter...

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/softa...ng-help-3.html

Old 04-22-2014 | 08:35 PM
Breakout Boy
6th Gear

Thanks for the link jam! One question for you, in the link it say's "This "extra" 4th wire, on the harness side, is your dedicated brake circuit", what color is this wire on your bike? Thanks

Old 04-22-2014 | 09:38 PM
jam436
Supporter

Originally Posted by Breakout Boy
Thanks for the link jam! One question for you, in the link it say's "This "extra" 4th wire, on the harness side, is your dedicated brake circuit", what color is this wire on your bike? Thanks
I don't remember off hand, but you'll know it when you see it - on the harness side of the plug there's four wires. On the fender side they used only three (one hole has a red plug in it).
That extra, unused fourth wire on the harness side is your dedicated brake light.
It's unused because the Breakout doesn't have a center brake light like a Deluxe does...

Old 04-22-2014 | 09:42 PM
jam436
Supporter

Here's a picture of the connector...

See that red plug?
Follow it back to the harness side and you'll see a wire in that spot...
Tap there... and the black wire is ground...

Old 04-23-2014 | 04:25 PM
Breakout Boy
6th Gear

Thanks a million jam! It was a little confusing when directions that came with the part say tap the red and others post they tapped a red/yellow. I just don't want to burn my new bike down to the ground.LOL Thanks again!

Old 04-23-2014 | 07:24 PM
24v
Elite HDF Member

Pins #3 on either of the 4 pin connectors will work, as will pin #2 on the 3 pin connector in the center on jam's pic. They all 3 go to the brake light circuit.

Old 04-23-2014 | 07:54 PM
jam436
Supporter

I don't know what's going on with C.D. these days.
I've been calling and playing mail-tag with them for two weeks now and still can't get a straight answer..

I bought their complete GEN200-KIT-CAN kit last year, which came the 4 turns, lenses and the can-bus adapter for the rears.
Now all their kits and clusters are marked "BCM compatible", which implies that the can-bus adapter is no longer needed.

One guy says yeah that's right, but the next one I talk to says you still need it.
I'd like to ditch that adapter and in the process get rid of the codes I've been getting with the fronts from day one.
Damn, they used to be easy to talk to... but lately...

Old 06-06-2014 | 01:39 PM
steveoh2222
Stage I
Default LED Wiring pictures

Any chance you still have those pictures. They appear to no longer be on this post. I would just like to verify where to place the canbus adapter on my '14 breakout.

Thanks,
Steve

Originally Posted by RedRider0151
Lots of questions as to where to install it....

It goes under your seat...on the throttle side, there is a harness with all your signal wires. You tap the red & yellow in the harness with the red from the Can-bus and the black to any ground. it was dirt simple and took all of a minute to do.

Here, I ran downstairs and snapped a few pics...just tuck the wire and load resistor along the side of your battery out of the way...I untucked it for the pictures...

Quick Reply: Custom Dynamics turn signals on Breakout, Canbus load resistor