Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Internal throttle cable

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2013 | 08:54 AM
tbonetony06
|
Outstanding HDF Member
Default Internal throttle cable

Where to get one and will it fit up to my stock grips or do I need an new complete throttle kit? Also, it EFI too.

Old 07-10-2013 | 11:46 AM
jcallesano
Road Warrior

i bought an exile chopper ones. 200 bucks

Still havent installed it yet though.
Its a whole kit. throttle sleeve with bearings and wire kit

Mines EFI too

Call Russell at exile, hes a nice dude.

Old 07-10-2013 | 05:31 PM
jreichart
Road Warrior

Got mine from exile as well. You'll need to cut about 4" off the throttle side of the bars. Stock grips will work with the exile unit if you remove the plastic throttle sleeve and drill in some set screws. Some other manufacturers set theirs up to run two left grips. I opted to use the exile grips as that was the easiest route. While the throttle assembly can be set screwed in place, it's best to weld it into the bars. There is a fair amount of work involved....

http://www.exilecycles.com/index.php?section=37

Old 07-10-2013 | 06:11 PM
spydyr
Road Captain

Probably won't work with Fatboy internal wires, huh? They look cool!!!

Old 07-10-2013 | 09:45 PM
2010Deluxeguy
Road Master

Tony, shouldn't you stay focused on the mods that have been 6 months in the works? where are the pics of all the things you already had planned?

Old 07-11-2013 | 11:19 AM
tbonetony06
|
Outstanding HDF Member

Internals were part of the original plan, always have been. I didn't know it was a pita though. Now I'm being told they won't work, the exhile brand, on my Gangster apes? That I have to cut and weld? It's to late to turn back now, I have alreday ordered the exhile internal throttle and will be here Sat. plus my bike is tore down. My main beef now is Samson, they sent me the wrong braket for my pipes and worse than that, they tell me that they can't help me right now because they are in the middle of moving from Cal. to Sturgis!!! WTF!!!

Old 07-14-2013 | 08:03 AM
mikemnkt
Cruiser

it isnt difficult to put ithe throttle on.i followed the instructions and was easy.all wires and cables are in my bars and it is all fine.the cable is really small and dont take up much room.and the cable can be replaced with a bicycle cable if you ever need a new one.

Old 07-14-2013 | 05:42 PM
tbonetony06
|
Outstanding HDF Member

mikemtkt, What brand internal throttle did you use and on what kind of bars? I'm told I need 1 inch opening to slide the Exile internal into the bar and I think the Gangsters tapper down to 3/4 inch. I won't screw around with it much longer, I'll throw external on it until next winter and worry about it then. It's riding time. Now if Samson can find me and send me the right bracket it would move a lot faster.

Old 07-14-2013 | 08:00 PM
jreichart
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by tbonetony06
mikemtkt, What brand internal throttle did you use and on what kind of bars? I'm told I need 1 inch opening to slide the Exile internal into the bar and I think the Gangsters tapper down to 3/4 inch. I won't screw around with it much longer, I'll throw external on it until next winter and worry about it then. It's riding time. Now if Samson can find me and send me the right bracket it would move a lot faster.
If your bars are 1" O.D. (standard to accept almost all grips), then the Exile throttle will work with your bars. The only issue you might have is with the thickness of the material used for your bars. Most good aftermarket companies use a thick wall tubing (HD uses thinwall crap) and the inside of the bar or the insert of the throttle assembly may need some tweaking to get them to fit just right. Not hard, just time consuming work, and welding the throttle assembly to the bars is recommended, though I haven't heard from anyone regarding issues with using the set screw method.

Old 07-14-2013 | 10:25 PM
Sugsss
6th Gear

I did my internals using the exile kit on carlini 1.5 16" original apes I cut 4 inches off the end then reamed the inside until the base of the throttle fit tack weld and your good to go

Quick Reply: Internal throttle cable