Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I dropped something inside my oil bag!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2013, 05:23 PM
Falcon195
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Sure your not related to this cat?
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...-up-today.html
As you can see they will let anybody buy a Harley.

Old 07-09-2013, 05:37 PM
j1mmy
Elite HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

did you get it out yet? fill the tank up to the top, it will float rite to the filler hole.. be sure to drain the extra oil out. it should be fine to just put it back in the bottle and save till next oil change.

Old 07-09-2013, 06:03 PM
Chip Hazard
Cruiser
Received 20 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by j1mmy
did you get it out yet? fill the tank up to the top, it will float rite to the filler hole.. be sure to drain the extra oil out. it should be fine to just put it back in the bottle and save till next oil change.
If he did like me when he dropped it ,it was full of oil.... dropped like a rock right to the bottom

Old 07-09-2013, 06:25 PM
im
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 857 Likes on 647 Posts

Just to be clear:
The shop vac is a retrieval method. The syringe would get stuck to the end of the hose/tube due to the suction. It would not get sucked into vacuum.. If you listen the suction noise will change. You do not insert the actual vacuum hose but instead you insert a piece of hose that has been taped to the end of the vacuum hose...piece of junk hose from garage..piece of neighbors hose, fuel line etc...It might be possible to carefully lay bike on its side on the grass to facilitate movement of syringe if required...hell, placing it on its side and using chop sticks might get it done also.

Old 07-09-2013, 07:07 PM
ntg433
Cruiser
Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts
Smile have you tried a mechanics small dental mirror...

I have a small telescoping dental mirror about 3/4 diameter among some larger ones. I have been able to find some lost parts in pretty strange places using a powerful small flashlight like a penlite. If you reflect the light just right you can inspect the whole inside of the tank especially since you think it is not resting on the bottom of it. Just a thought. I would like to have an idea where it is before poking around. Notice I said telescoping as in Ï don't want to drop anything else down there going after it. Good luck.

Old 07-09-2013, 07:56 PM
m i k e
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Skeezmachine
I want to follow this thread just so I can see how many more people will suggest the OP use a MAGNET to get the PLASTIC syringe out of his oil tank...

LMAO

Old 07-09-2013, 08:31 PM
Alain
Elite HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Well boys the job is done ! I had to do it the hard way...... had to take the oil bag out of the frame and shake the bastid upside down.

Even while doing that it was hard to shake the thing loose from wherever it was stuck inside the oil bag. When I dropped the syringe in last night the oil was kinda warm so i'm assuming because of that and the fact that the syringe probably filled up with oil and became heavier I don't think there was any way I was going to get that thing to shake around in there no matter how much oil I put back in the bag and no matter how hard I shook that sled.... I actually did both before deciding to take the tank out of the frame.

Here are some quick pictures I took. I didn't get a chance to take a lot of pics cause I was running out of sun light lol, my work bench light is WEAK !!

There is a clamp that holds the rubber tube that goes from the bottom of the oil bag to the drain plug on the frame and let me tell you that ****er is a nightmare to take off !!!!!! I mangled the hell out of it so I have to get a replacement one tomorrow from the stealer. other then that I'm good to go, just need to put oil back in it and rock and roll baby !

Attached Thumbnails I dropped something inside my oil bag!!!-syringe1.jpg   I dropped something inside my oil bag!!!-syringe2.jpg   I dropped something inside my oil bag!!!-oil-tank.jpg  
Old 07-09-2013, 08:32 PM
Flip50
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by m i k e
LMAO
Maybe a plastic magnet? Uh oh I feel another thread on plastic magnets coming!!!

Old 07-09-2013, 08:40 PM
QC
Club Member
Received 19,803 Likes on 9,866 Posts

Well, at least you got it. And yes getting those clamps back on is going to be a pain as well. Hope I don't ever have to take it off again. First time was to put the chrome tank on.

Old 07-09-2013, 08:50 PM
Alain
Elite HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by QC
Well, at least you got it. And yes getting those clamps back on is going to be a pain as well. Hope I don't ever have to take it off again. First time was to put the chrome tank on.
are there some kind of special pliers i can use for those suckers???

By the way I want to thank all of you that took the time to come in here and post suggestions and links and offer to send me tools.

it's an awesome feeling to see that there are good people on this forum. Guys that are quick to help instead of telling you to use the search feature.

it's all about the brotherhood !! anytime any of you come to north jersey please hit me up and first round is on me !!

Last edited by Alain; 07-09-2013 at 08:55 PM.

Quick Reply: I dropped something inside my oil bag!!!