Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I dropped something inside my oil bag!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2013, 08:24 AM
Alain
Elite HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

The shop vac routine might not work. I don't think the opening on the oil tank is big enough to get the shop vac in there. And if I do get it in there I don't see how I would have enough room to see what I'm doing or to maneuver the shop vac to be able to get it.

The probe camera is a good one but I can't even begin to imagine where to get one of those. Not to mention how much It would cost.

If I can get the siringe out where I can see it in the tank then stabbing it with something sharp might work. Fist I have to find out where the heck it went when it fell inside the tank.

Old 07-09-2013, 08:32 AM
hbarleatherneck
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

here is your camera
http://www.harborfreight.com/digital...era-67979.html

personally, I would work on it with the magnetic retriever.

like someone else said, maybe put some oil back in it and have someone help you lay the bike all the way the other direction?

Last edited by hbarleatherneck; 07-09-2013 at 08:34 AM.
Old 07-09-2013, 08:35 AM
05f150fx4
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What i did with the shop vac was got a 2' piece of pex tubing and put that into the end of the shop vac hose and made a seal with rags. The pex had enough flex in it to bend it around to get into corners. Can't really see what you are doing but it might be worth a try.

Old 07-09-2013, 08:44 AM
tbonetony06
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

If you are going to try the "stick it with a needle or something like that" Just make sure it is affixed to whatever you're going to stick it on, is on very good. You don't want to lose anything else down in there. I have seen finishing nails, as an example, small enough, strong enough and sharp enough to stab it. Duct tape can be mans best friends at time. Don't just wrap the tape around it though. Also stab the tape with the sharp object from the bottom too, piercing it with a few pieces of tape then wrap the tape around it so that it is on there good. IF all else fails I have a very long set of tweezers here at the house, probably 12", 14"'s long I could mail you. I could even overnight them to you if you would like. I would be more than happy to do that for you if you wished. It couldn't cost but a few bucks so don't worry about it. I have had a few people mail me a few things, JD is the perfect example of that and neither of those people asked for a penny so it's my way of sharing and giving back to get a Brother up and running. Just say the word, send me a PM and an address and it's done. I know sticking it works but it also has the chance to drop something else down in there. Grabbing it somehow would be much more safe and little risk of making it worse.

Last edited by tbonetony06; 07-09-2013 at 08:49 AM.
Old 07-09-2013, 08:51 AM
Skeezmachine
Stellar HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

I want to follow this thread just so I can see how many more people will suggest the OP use a MAGNET to get the PLASTIC syringe out of his oil tank...

Well...maybe I should pay admission and at least make a suggestion so here goes:

I like the shop vac idea. what you may need for that to work is a set of attachments that are small enough to get in your tank. I used to own a set that had an adapter that went on the end of the shop vac hose and reduced it to a very small size. Then you could attach a number of much smaller attachments. The set I had was made to be used to suction out the dust that collects inside of computer equipment but I have also seen them sold as automotive detailing items that you use to vacuum up the nooks and crannies in your dash and other tight areas of you automobile. Maybe you can look for such a set at a autoparts store or the car care section of a department store. I would also look in office supply stores. I think that even if you can't see the syringe (that must have been a tiny syringe!!!) you might just be able to create enough suction to pull it out.

For future purposes I like the turkey baster idea but you can also get a very large syringe that is typically used to measure things for mixing such as two cycle oil. They usually come with a length of rubber hose you can put on the end for added flexibility.

Good luck.

Old 07-09-2013, 09:04 AM
hbarleatherneck
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Skeezmachine
I want to follow this thread just so I can see how many more people will suggest the OP use a MAGNET to get the PLASTIC syringe out of his oil tank...

Good luck.
i wasnt picturing an all plastic syringe. i didnt read that in the op and didnt read every post. i see it mentioned in post 17 now.. i imagined a plastic body with maybe a 12 or 14 gauge STEEL needle on it.

Last edited by hbarleatherneck; 07-09-2013 at 09:07 AM.
Old 07-09-2013, 09:28 AM
Alain
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by tbonetony06
If you are going to try the "stick it with a needle or something like that" Just make sure it is affixed to whatever you're going to stick it on, is on very good. You don't want to lose anything else down in there. I have seen finishing nails, as an example, small enough, strong enough and sharp enough to stab it. Duct tape can be mans best friends at time. Don't just wrap the tape around it though. Also stab the tape with the sharp object from the bottom too, piercing it with a few pieces of tape then wrap the tape around it so that it is on there good. IF all else fails I have a very long set of tweezers here at the house, probably 12", 14"'s long I could mail you. I could even overnight them to you if you would like. I would be more than happy to do that for you if you wished. It couldn't cost but a few bucks so don't worry about it. I have had a few people mail me a few things, JD is the perfect example of that and neither of those people asked for a penny so it's my way of sharing and giving back to get a Brother up and running. Just say the word, send me a PM and an address and it's done. I know sticking it works but it also has the chance to drop something else down in there. Grabbing it somehow would be much more safe and little risk of making it worse.
Man, it amazes me how we form these bonds on this forum. I really appreciate your offer and advice. I'm gonna stop by Home Depot and pick up that tool and go to town when I get home from work. I will let you know if I need those tweezers. You sir are a good man for offering.

Old 07-09-2013, 09:31 AM
OceanTwo
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

One thing you may try, if the tank is empty but you can't see the syringe, is to blow air into the tank (compressor). If the syringe is light, it may rattle around, and into your view. Be prepared for oil drops to spurt over your face, though, as you expectantly look for the offending object!

Old 07-09-2013, 10:41 AM
Alain
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by OceanTwo
One thing you may try, if the tank is empty but you can't see the syringe, is to blow air into the tank (compressor). If the syringe is light, it may rattle around, and into your view. Be prepared for oil drops to spurt over your face, though, as you expectantly look for the offending object!
I thought about doing that exact same thing last night when I first dropped it, only problem is I don't have a compressor!! Been thinking about buying one for a while now. Maybe this will push me over the edge to get one. Same thing with the shop vac, been putting off getting one. I think it's time.

Old 07-09-2013, 11:21 AM
QC
Club Member
Received 19,803 Likes on 9,866 Posts

Oh, for goodness sakes! Just hold the bike upside down over your head and shake it out of there!!

Quick Reply: I dropped something inside my oil bag!!!