Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Does your Softail have ABS brakes or does not have ABS brakes
Yes has ABS brakes
43.37%
No does not have ABS brakes
56.63%
Voters: 83. You may not vote on this poll

Softail with ABS without ABS

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2013 | 09:17 AM
lupus
Tourer

Don't have it but wish I'd have gotten it.

Old 07-06-2013 | 09:29 AM
CH80
Novice

My 2013 Heritage has ABS. It was something I wanted and got the dealer to do a dealer-to-dealer swap so that I could get it with ABS and the color I wanted.

Old 07-06-2013 | 10:52 AM
Overcast
Cruiser
Default Absolutely gotta have ABS!

[QUOTE=kneesinthebreeze;11491636]I had to order mine. There was one at the dealer with no ABS but in the colors I wanted. The salesman was pushy trying to discount the effectiveness of the ABS Security package. I took my business elsewhere and ordered the exact bike I wanted./QUOTE]

I had never given it a thought until I finally bought a bike with ABS. Now I'm sold and can't do without it. Salesman? They'll do and say anything to make a sale without your best interest in mind.

Old 07-06-2013 | 12:50 PM
_Gir_
Road Warrior

My fatboy and superglide both have it and I wouldn't have accepted less.

Old 07-06-2013 | 01:10 PM
GeeRam
Tourer

I didn't get a choice, as all UK spec Softails now come with ABS as standard.

Old 07-06-2013 | 01:48 PM
Eric03Cobra
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Mr. Lucky
Don't have it and don't want it.
Same here.

It's an aid ... and could possibly help in some situations, but there are too many negatives for me to want it.

What I would like though, is bigger breaks (possibly duel rotors up front) on the Breakout.

Coming from a sports / race bike past, these breaks are very "soft" compared to what I'm used to.

Old 07-06-2013 | 02:02 PM
Stopit
Stellar HDF Member

My 01 doesn't , I've had 3 panic lock up stops so far this year , a deer , group ride accident , and a FKn bicyclist. The Deer & bicycle were VARY near misses !! I'm not sure how ABS would have performed in those situations? They weren't complete stops but more crash avoidance tire screachin lock -ups.

Old 07-06-2013 | 02:11 PM
Eric03Cobra
Intermediate

ABS on Harley's are only supposed to engage when the bike is vertical (I'm sure there is some degree of leeway here) ... but NOT supposed to engage when the bike is in a turn or corner.

Old 07-06-2013 | 03:38 PM
Falcon195
|
Road Master

Originally Posted by Eric03Cobra
ABS on Harley's are only supposed to engage when the bike is vertical (I'm sure there is some degree of leeway here) ... but NOT supposed to engage when the bike is in a turn or corner.
Anybody care to test this theory?

Old 07-06-2013 | 04:06 PM
Eric03Cobra
Intermediate

go http://www.harley-davidson.com/abs and read up on it.

Again, not a bad system by any means ... you just have to understand what it IS and is NOT designed to do.

Like I said, it's an aid ... it's not a substitute for thinking ahead and riding with your head.

From the owners guide:
While an advantage in emergency braking, ABS is not a substitute for safe riding. The safest way to stop a motorcycle is upright with both wheels straight.
Harley-Davidson ABS is a manual assist system. When in an emergency stopping situation, maintain pressure on the brakes through all ABS events. Do not modulate or "pump" the brake controls. The wheels won't lock until the end of the stop when motorcycle speed reaches approximately 4 mph 6 km/h and ABS is no longer needed.

ABS cannot prevent lockup of rear wheel due to engine braking. ABS will not aid in cornering or on loose/uneven surfaces. A locked wheel will skid and can cause loss of vehicle control, which could result in death or serious injury. (00362a)

More information is available at www.harley-davidson.com/abs.

There is information and video's out there from Harley that talk about it not being designed to work in a corner.
I did a lot of research before buying the Breakout because I was on the fence about getting with or without ABS.

For me, it came down to a personal decision, and I decided against it.

Last edited by Eric03Cobra; 07-06-2013 at 04:11 PM. Reason: added info from Harley manual.

Quick Reply: Softail with ABS without ABS