Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Softail lowering kit.........pros and cons

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2013 | 10:19 AM
SoCalSoftailSlim
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by antichrome90
Now to do that, would I have to lift the bike up and then lift the wheel as well to take the tension off the shock and bolts? Or will it adjust with just the bike lifted on the frame?

Deedee,

You can do this on the lift. I'd tie down the bike and of course, make sure your lift is secure. You don't have to worry about tension on the wheel.

As a matter of fact, if you have enough room underneath, you can do this with the bike on the floor and not even jack it up. You can also just ride the bike up on an angled surface (wouldn't recommend a portable ramp unless it's really secure) and do it that way too to make room under the bike.

Here's a link to a thread I started on adjusting my lowering bolts. It may also help:

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/softa...preciated.html

And I'd make sure you take both pre- and post adjustment measurements on both sides of the bike. You would measure in a straight line from the rear axle nut to the bottom of the fender.

Good luck!

Old 07-05-2013 | 10:20 AM
Dead Creek Cycles
Former Sponsor

It would be easier to do it on a lift, but you can do it while the bike is on the kickstand. Just make sure you have it in gear and adjust the shocks evenly a little bit at a time. You can measure the distance from the axle to the bottom of your fender as a reference and then see how high or low you are as you adjust it by rechecking that distance.

Old 07-05-2013 | 10:21 AM
Dead Creek Cycles
Former Sponsor

Ha SoCal, you just beat me to it!

Old 07-05-2013 | 06:20 PM
antichrome90
Cruiser

Awesome! thanks DeadCreek and SoCal! I'll attempt that soon and be sure to check back and put up pre- and post-adjustment pics.

Old 07-05-2013 | 07:28 PM
tinmarine
Road Master

I lowered mine with the dead creek collars. Looks GREAT!!!!! Bottoms out though. Just did 100 miles up I-75 and I felt violated and wanted a shower afterwards. We don't have the best roads round these parts. Flat out sucks running through Detroit. If'n ya got the cash, go with the air shocks.

Old 07-05-2013 | 08:00 PM
GinsengSullivan
Tourer

Got a question... I have a red Sear lift and have trouble getting it under my Deluxe now, once I get the Dead Creek kit and lower the bike how in the world do it get the lift under it then? run a tire onto a small ramp?

I know it's a dumb question but hey.... lol

Old 07-05-2013 | 08:24 PM
SoCalSoftailSlim
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by GinsengSullivan
Got a question... I have a red Sear lift and have trouble getting it under my Deluxe now, once I get the Dead Creek kit and lower the bike how in the world do it get the lift under it then? run a tire onto a small ramp?

I know it's a dumb question but hey.... lol
Not dumb at all.

Had mine lowered like 1.60'' inches lower than stock on the Arlen Ness bolts. That made the ride pretty crappy, honestly. Too low for the bad streets here in L.A.

Decided to raise it to 1.15 inches lower than stock. Had to ride my bike up on a 2x4 to get the lift under it since it was so low. 1.15 inches turned out to be the sweet spot for me. And I can fit my lift under it at that height without the 2x4. haha.

Old 07-09-2013 | 04:12 PM
antichrome90
Cruiser

So I just adjusted the lowering bolts. It was in fact THAT easy. Just rode the rear tire up on a 2x8, grabbed my 17mm box wrench and got to work. Could only rotate the bolts in ~1/8 turn increments, but that helped control the adjustment so i could keep the sides even and keep the loosening(rear nut) and tightening (forward nut) even.

Started at just under 9-1/4" from axle to bottom of fender (forgot to get a pic before I changed it). After a few test rides and adjustments, settled at 9-5/8" spacing. Dunno what the "drop from stock" that is but its really comfortable. Still looks good and low and is stable, but I picked up noticeable maneuverability and a much smoother ride going over those pesky Florida drainage gutter-curbs.

If anyone is interested in lowering their bike easily/inexpensively but wants to be able to adjust on the fly, bolts are the way to go! Obviously air (progressive, shotgun shock, etc) will always be easier to adjust and more comfortable. And the quick kit (the one Dead Creek sells) will be easier to install and guaranteed for the height change you expect. But The bolts are the happy medium between cost, ease of install, and custom adjustment.

Attached Thumbnails Softail lowering kit.........pros and cons-cimg2056.jpg   Softail lowering kit.........pros and cons-cimg2055_2.jpg   Softail lowering kit.........pros and cons-cimg2053_2.jpg  
Old 07-09-2013 | 07:40 PM
SoCalSoftailSlim
Elite HDF Member

Cool. Really glad it worked out man.

Bike looks nice. I especially like the way the rear tire fills up the fender nicely when lowered to a moderate point like that. Plus, the ride stays pretty smooth and you get to keep the $1,500 you would pay for a shotgun shock.

And if you think about it, your bike will get an even lower profile when you sit on it. I'm 175 lbs, and I'd say I'm about 1.5 inches lower than stock when sitting on the bike. 1.15 inches lower than stock in the sig pic you see below.

Last edited by SoCalSoftailSlim; 07-09-2013 at 07:42 PM.
Old 07-09-2013 | 10:16 PM
antichrome90
Cruiser

yeah I'm about 190 so it sits nice and low when I ride. Basically just high enough the pipes don't scrape. Now I just get my sideshots pc'd black and I can safely put them on when I please.

Quick Reply: Softail lowering kit.........pros and cons