Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Softail lowering kit.........pros and cons

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2013 | 01:18 PM
Dead Creek Cycles
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by antichrome90
Thanks! I dont know what lowering kit is on the bike currently, hence I have no clue how to adjust it. Been looking at replacement options.
Of course, we would be more than happy to sell you a kit . But to try to save you some money, maybe you could post some pics of the lowering kit that's on your bike now and either us or someone else on here may be familiar with it and be able to tell you how to adjust it. We've seen a lot of different kits and the adjustment on many of them is the same.

Old 07-03-2013 | 01:38 PM
antichrome90
Cruiser

I'll take some pics and upload them when I get home in a few.

Old 07-03-2013 | 02:37 PM
antichrome90
Cruiser

Ok, here are some pics. Forgive the image quality..
The first one shows how it lowers the bike (2002 with worn down Metz 150/80-16 tire)

Attached Thumbnails Softail lowering kit.........pros and cons-cimg2051_2.jpg   Softail lowering kit.........pros and cons-cimg2050_2.jpg   Softail lowering kit.........pros and cons-cimg2044_2.jpg   Softail lowering kit.........pros and cons-cimg2041_2.jpg  

Last edited by antichrome90; 07-03-2013 at 02:45 PM.
Old 07-03-2013 | 02:58 PM
rpmpit
Cruiser

Thanks, SoCal. I will keep an eye out for them. BTW, I didn't say it before but your bike looks awesome!! The emblems and the bike complement each other so well. Nice job!! Oh, and I'm a Steeler fan so the color scheme also works for me!!

Originally Posted by SoCalSoftailSlim
Hey rpm. Ya, the 58 Panhead emblems are pretty rare and you have to just keep your eye open if you want those specific ones. Wish it was easier.

I got mine for $115 on Ebay. The guy asking $399 for them on Ebay is nuts.

The only suggestion I have is keep your eye on Ebay and snag anything in the $150 range, if that fits your budget. I see a pair went for $165 recently.

Maybe even use one of the search engines that will search all of craigslist. (Not just the one in your area).

Old 07-03-2013 | 03:20 PM
SoCalSoftailSlim
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by rpmpit
Thanks, SoCal. I will keep an eye out for them. BTW, I didn't say it before but your bike looks awesome!! The emblems and the bike complement each other so well. Nice job!! Oh, and I'm a Steeler fan so the color scheme also works for me!!
Thanks man!

I have a good buddy whose a big Steelers fan too and he loves the scheme of my bike also. haha.

Let's not hijak this thread. Shoot me a PM if you need any more info on the emblems.

Good luck with your lowering decision, OP. I think adjustable bolts are a good option if you get the height right. Kinda a negotiation between looks and the ride. I wouldn't go with the pricey shotgun shocks unless you really wanted them.

Old 07-03-2013 | 03:23 PM
Dead Creek Cycles
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by antichrome90
Ok, here are some pics. Forgive the image quality..
The first one shows how it lowers the bike (2002 with worn down Metz 150/80-16 tire)

Ok, I'm not sure exactly what brand that is, but those are definitely threaded lowering bolts. They don't appear to have a whole lot of adjustability as far as height goes though, and it looks to me like they are adjusted all the way down (lowered as much as they will go). The way you would adjust them is pretty straightforward: loosen the nut on the rear side of the frame crossmember (pic #2) and then tighten the nut on the front of the crossmember until it tightens against the rear one. Do that for both shocks evenly. By either tightening toward the rear of the bike, or loosening toward the front of the bike you will raise or lower the suspension. But, like I said, it appears that they are down as far as they will go. Some kits are longer than others and let you go from stock to a 2" drop.

Hopefully that makes sense?

Old 07-03-2013 | 03:25 PM
Shakey Softail
Tourer

Riding on lowering bolts slammed 2 3.4 inch no problem rides like sh*t but looks cool

Old 07-03-2013 | 05:09 PM
Benway
Elite HDF Member

2" bolts here all the way down. Rides just fine, but will bottom out sooner. No good for passengers though, as the pipes already pretty much drag the ground around corners. Shotguns are in my future for wifey-poo

Old 07-04-2013 | 12:40 AM
kiwideuce
Seasoned HDF Member

i have lowered my deuce initially with lowering bolts, lowering worked fine but very uncomfortable on the lower back, here is how i did it

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/softa...nty-bucks.html

i have since gone to progressive 422 shocks, awesome, if you have the cash
skip the bolts and go 422

Old 07-05-2013 | 09:53 AM
antichrome90
Cruiser

Now to do that, would I have to lift the bike up and then lift the wheel as well to take the tension off the shock and bolts? Or will it adjust with just the bike lifted on the frame?

Originally Posted by Dead Creek Cycles
Ok, I'm not sure exactly what brand that is, but those are definitely threaded lowering bolts. They don't appear to have a whole lot of adjustability as far as height goes though, and it looks to me like they are adjusted all the way down (lowered as much as they will go). The way you would adjust them is pretty straightforward: loosen the nut on the rear side of the frame crossmember (pic #2) and then tighten the nut on the front of the crossmember until it tightens against the rear one. Do that for both shocks evenly. By either tightening toward the rear of the bike, or loosening toward the front of the bike you will raise or lower the suspension. But, like I said, it appears that they are down as far as they will go. Some kits are longer than others and let you go from stock to a 2" drop.

Hopefully that makes sense?

Quick Reply: Softail lowering kit.........pros and cons