Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stage 1 Air Cleaner Cover - Effects on Performance??

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2013, 11:47 PM
jb27
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Stage 1 Air Cleaner Cover - Effects on Performance??

Sorry if this has been discussed before, but how much influence does the air cleaner cover have on overall performance? I just installed a screaming eagle stage 1 round air cleaner on my bike. Along with it, I ordered a HD Bobber Style Round cover. It is a bit larger than I expected and covers the entire open air element on the air cleaner. It has an opening on the bottom to let air in, but I wonder just how much it would. I've had this type of air cleaner on a previous bike and ran it with just a small round trim piece covering only the front face of the element leaving the actual element completely exposed to the air.

I'd hate to use the bobber cover and undo the effects of going to the stage 1 air cleaner.

Anyone have any input/thoughts?

Thanks!

Last edited by jb27; 06-29-2013 at 05:04 AM.
Old 06-29-2013, 05:19 AM
Roadie13
Stellar HDF Member

Received 1,192 Likes on 562 Posts

Won't be an issue at all. The filter element itself will pass way more air than the motor can use and an HD cover won't have any effect on it.

Old 06-29-2013, 12:08 PM
jb27
Tourer

Originally Posted by Roadie13
Won't be an issue at all. The filter element itself will pass way more air than the motor can use and an HD cover won't have any effect on it.
Thanks. Ended up calling my local dealer and they said the same thing.

Thank you

Old 06-29-2013, 01:49 PM
Faceless
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd hate to disagree but somebodies got to. I switched to a SE stage one air filter and bought a similar cover and like you decided it was to big looking. After putting my hand near the small slit air intake and feeling minimal air flow I switched to a derby style cover and have to say after putting my hand near the filter again noticed a high amount of air being sucked into the engine. After a ride I definitely noticed the bike had more pep to it and felt like it was breathing better.

Old 07-01-2013, 06:47 AM
24v
Elite HDF Member
Received 706 Likes on 383 Posts

If you are running a stage 1 backplate with only the chrome cover, then there should be no issue with the volume of air that gets into the engine. The only issue I can see with that cover vs a more open filter would be the temperature of the air going in. That big metal cover is sure to heatsoak and increase the temperature of the air going by it. Whereas without the cover the cooler air can go straight into the filter.

The hotter the air, the less oxygen. Less oxygen = less power.

Old 07-01-2013, 11:23 AM
fattyboyrider
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

If you replace the air filter with a k&n and keep the stock cover will the bike have to be re-mapped ?

Old 07-01-2013, 11:32 AM
FXDWG12
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by fattyboyrider
If you replace the air filter with a k&n and keep the stock cover will the bike have to be re-mapped ?
If the exhaust is stock? Your answer is "NO".
If the exhaust is aftermarket? Your answer is "you don't have to, but you should".

Old 07-01-2013, 09:46 PM
fattyboyrider
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by FXDWG12
If the exhaust is stock? Your answer is "NO".
If the exhaust is aftermarket? Your answer is "you don't have to, but you should".
Thanks for the info one more question
I have stock pipes but se slip on mufflers does that make mapping required?

Old 07-02-2013, 04:06 AM
jb27
Tourer

Originally Posted by Faceless
I'd hate to disagree but somebodies got to. I switched to a SE stage one air filter and bought a similar cover and like you decided it was to big looking. After putting my hand near the small slit air intake and feeling minimal air flow I switched to a derby style cover and have to say after putting my hand near the filter again noticed a high amount of air being sucked into the engine. After a ride I definitely noticed the bike had more pep to it and felt like it was breathing better.
Thanks. Good to hear first-hand experience with both.

Old 07-02-2013, 04:07 AM
jb27
Tourer

Originally Posted by 24v
The only issue I can see with that cover vs a more open filter would be the temperature of the air going in. That big metal cover is sure to heatsoak and increase the temperature of the air going by it. Whereas without the cover the cooler air can go straight into the filter.

The hotter the air, the less oxygen. Less oxygen = less power.
Thanks. That is a good point. I ended up ordering a trim piece and will run it open.

Quick Reply: Stage 1 Air Cleaner Cover - Effects on Performance??