Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

rear end siezure

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2013 | 06:29 PM
ssgsnidely
|
Stage I
Default rear end siezure

I was traveling at about 45 mph today when I heard loud noise, then my rear tire seized and bike shut off and sent me into about a 60ft skid. luckily I didn't go down but I'm not sure what happened. the bike will start and run fine. no engine light. the gears sound like they shift fine but the bike will not move forward, it will move backwards in neutral though. Here's the kicker, I just had it get serviced and picked It up that morning, 40 miles later this happened. The dealership did work on the primary cover and replaced 2 doughnut gaskets. I'm wondering if they didn't add oil and maybe this caused the bike to seize? the Harley mechanic that came and loaded my bike assured me it couldn't have been that and that one could go for about 2000 miles before no oil in the primary would cause that kind of a seize up. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Old 06-27-2013 | 07:05 PM
checkers
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by ssgsnidely
I was traveling at about 45 mph today when I heard loud noise, then my rear tire seized and bike shut off and sent me into about a 60ft skid. luckily I didn't go down but I'm not sure what happened. the bike will start and run fine. no engine light. the gears sound like they shift fine but the bike will not move forward, it will move backwards in neutral though. Here's the kicker, I just had it get serviced and picked It up that morning, 40 miles later this happened. The dealership did work on the primary cover and replaced 2 doughnut gaskets. I'm wondering if they didn't add oil and maybe this caused the bike to seize? the Harley mechanic that came and loaded my bike assured me it couldn't have been that and that one could go for about 2000 miles before no oil in the primary would cause that kind of a seize up. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
Stay with them throughout the repair, make sure they save all parts. Review this upfront with the owner or general manager.

Old 06-27-2013 | 07:11 PM
Juan L

Originally Posted by ssgsnidely
I was traveling at about 45 mph today ....
Where are you located?

Old 06-27-2013 | 07:41 PM
knightenforcer
Road Master

I would've called them right away and ask them pick up the bike.
They did work on it, something is amiss.

Old 06-29-2013 | 06:41 AM
schlacker
Stellar HDF Member

I'm amazed you didn't go down-congrats on your skills

Old 06-29-2013 | 06:57 AM
dan conner
Ultimate HDF Member

**** happens...little early to be jumping on the dealer's butt. give him a chance to fix it. if it was his mistake, then is the time for some serious hell-raising.

this is the guy's first post. let's see if he is a troll, the dealer screwed up, or if some other problem occurred.

Old 06-29-2013 | 08:18 AM
tbonetony06
Outstanding HDF Member

Another reason why my bike NEVER goes to a dealership for work. I can just about asure you that even if the dealer did something wrong, they won't admit it, they won't fix it for free and it will end up being the OP's fault. I too would ask for all old parts and even ask if you can be there when they open it up. I doubt they will allow that though under the guise of "shop Insurance policies". My INDY? I can stand there all day and watch anytime I want. Try that at any dealership. I have lived all over this country west of the Mississippi and 40+ years of riding and I have few, if any, good or positive Dealership stories or experiences. It is what it is.

Old 06-29-2013 | 10:43 AM
newoldschool
Advanced

Originally Posted by tbonetony06
Another reason why my bike NEVER goes to a dealership for work. I can just about asure you that even if the dealer did something wrong, they won't admit it, they won't fix it for free and it will end up being the OP's fault. I too would ask for all old parts and even ask if you can be there when they open it up. I doubt they will allow that though under the guise of "shop Insurance policies". My INDY? I can stand there all day and watch anytime I want. Try that at any dealership. I have lived all over this country west of the Mississippi and 40+ years of riding and I have few, if any, good or positive Dealership stories or experiences. It is what it is.
I can second everything you say. that's why I invested in a motorcycle lift at my personal shop. (best money I ever spent)

If you do it yourself. You know it's right.

Old 06-29-2013 | 10:52 AM
newoldschool
Advanced

but back to the org. post It had to be something in the trans. that locked up. only way it would be able to roll backwards and the engine run in neutral.