Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Deluxe Owners what exhaust?

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2013, 09:45 AM
PWFD
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Deluxe Owners what exhaust?

I've spent a lot of time searching and looking for Deluxe exhaust on forums. I was wondering if any of you Deluxe owners out there can help me out?. I am new to the Deluxe and really loving this bike. I came from a RoadGlide Ultra with 4" Rineharts that I loved the sound of. Not loud but a great deep Harley Sound. Now that I've logged about 400 miles I have come to not loving the "stock" exhaust sound of this Deluxe. So far it's my only complaint. I do want to keep with the classic look of the bike so I've narrowed it down to these thus far. The Vance & Hines BigShots Long being a full system I am not sure if that is something I could just bolt on and go. I have no plans on doing any motor work or filter change. As many of us I'm going for something with a little more sound / tone and looks. I'm not sure if I want to do a full system though if I have to mess with a tuner and or dyno time. I've also thought of doing the Vance & Hines Straightshots HS Slip-Ons, 3" TwinSlash Slip-Ons. I'm guessing I will probably want to buy the quiet baffles as well.

Any feedback on what you guys are using which still keeps the clean classic lines of the Deluxe. I've heard mixed reviews on the RUSH so I will probably avoid them. I know some of you have had great luck with RUSH but then there are the others. My luck I'd be one of the others.

Thanks,

T

Old 06-17-2013, 10:09 AM
tbonetony06
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

If you're going to mess with the exhaust I would highly recommend going all the way and doing it right. That being increased air intake, a tuner, new exhaust and a Dyno, IMHO. I know many will agree with me, more probably won't. Doing those 4 things will not only increase the performance of your bike, it will also run cooler and much better for your bike long term. We all know heat is our enemy on an air cooled motor. As for that "Classic look", that can also be defined differently by different people. I currently am running a Python 2 into 1 header pipe. It's the 1st and only 2 into 1 pipe that I ever liked as far as performance and sound. I am switching it over to 39" cholos with removable baffles and tips. To me, that "classic look" is achieved with the Cholo's that only run to the end of the rear fender. If you are talking about performance pipes that look like "stock" pipes, I'm lost on that one. Good luck and keep us posted, pictures always work too.

Old 06-17-2013, 10:23 AM
PWFD
Road Master

Thanks for your feedback, tbonetony06. If I had the funds, yes, I would do it all. On all of my tour bikes in years past I've only done slip-ons and been very happy with the outcome. Now being a softail owner it may not be quite as easy as it was with the tour bikes? As far as the looks, it doesn't have to be close to the stock look. I have been looking around for a 2-1. Years ago I know a company called RoadHouse used to make some cool looking stuff but last time I looked the Company WebSite wasn't up so I wasn't sure if they were still around. I haven't seen or heard about them in quiet a while.

Thanks again for your feed back!

T

Old 06-17-2013, 02:46 PM
steamybob
Tourer
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Tin hats at the ready......

Samson cholos!

Old 06-17-2013, 05:30 PM
mmcbeat
Elite HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I have a set of V&H Straightshot slip-ons for sale in the classifieds if you are interested. I only had them on my bike for a very short time. They looked and sounded great, just a tad too loud for my taste, even with quiet baffles. But my hearing is bad and I am trying to preserve what I have left.

Old 06-17-2013, 09:12 PM
PWFD
Road Master

After making it to a dealership tonight and finding a Heritage Softail with the V&H twin slash and seeing them and then taking the bike for a test ride I think I'm going to roll with the Twin Slash. I thought they had a good sound and did look good on. A little louder than what I would have liked but I will roll with them and if I find them too loud I'll try the quiet baffles.

Thanks for the feedback.

T