Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

REALLY liked this bike but...what would you do?

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2013 | 12:51 PM
TenMidgets
|
Stellar HDF Member
Default REALLY liked this bike but...what would you do?

Looking to buy either a Harley or Vic. Prefer the HD but I could live with the Victory. That said I would make an offer on this bike....but

It's an 06 FLST with 7000 that had a 103 Kit installed. Absolutely was a screamer....Very nice, (Considering my 1300 was stronger in the mid range making its torque and power at higher RPMS than all the stock TC88s I rode) Otherwise I need to look at the 96 and up and Victorys for a noticeable performance jump.

But dealer asking $12985 and there was no SE Air kit on the bike...Strange. I have no idea what else the previous owner did down the drive line to handle the additional power. SE Hi Cap oil pump and Hydr tensioners would be a necessity AFAIK. Dealer has no idea and they won't inspect it so I passed. I would make an offer if The prev owner did install the new Hyro tensioners and SE oil pump along with the new cams. He had to take those parts off to do the cams and heads anyway.

IS there anyway to tell without cracking the Cam cover? Love the bike. Dealership not so much..LOL

Last edited by TenMidgets; 06-22-2013 at 11:04 PM.
Old 06-15-2013 | 09:27 PM
QC
Club Member
Riders Club Member

I don't know of any way to check without removing the cover. I can't imagine the tensioners not being done along with the other work. They're about $2000 high on the price though. Ask for the previous owners number.

Old 06-15-2013 | 09:35 PM
kozy22
Outstanding HDF Member

I wouldn't pay that for the bike

Old 06-15-2013 | 10:03 PM
Davenml
3rd Gear

Don't buy a bike you could just "live with". If you're not comfortable with the info the dealer is giving you tell them exactly why you're not buying it. There's no reason they couldn't provide you with more info if they have a competent service dept. think about it you're considering purchasing a bike and they refuse to give you the info you need, how do you think they'll treat you when you need service or warranty work done. For that price there's a lot of nice bikes out there. Take your time and look around.

Old 06-15-2013 | 10:36 PM
Brawny MMC
Tourer

seems high,dealer and price any bags windsheild?like others have said keep looking you can do much better imo.

Old 06-15-2013 | 10:50 PM
jam436
Supporter

..if the dealer's playing games, walk...

Old 06-15-2013 | 11:29 PM
Tailsfrommycrib
Elite HDF Member

When you find the right bike for you no other bike will matter. It is not what a bike can do but how it makes you feel. You might want to ask your question on the victory forum as I am sure they would be more than happy to answer any questions you might have about victory. Enjoy whatever you decide to get.

Old 06-16-2013 | 03:04 AM
3illy
Tourer

Originally Posted by jam436
..if the dealer's playing games, walk...
What he said. It aint worth it brother. Maybe ask to speak with the manager since the salespersons you have spoken with can't answer your questions.

Old 06-16-2013 | 03:07 AM
TenMidgets
|
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by Davenml
Don't buy a bike you could just "live with". If you're not comfortable with the info the dealer is giving you tell them exactly why you're not buying it. There's no reason they couldn't provide you with more info if they have a competent service dept. think about it you're considering purchasing a bike and they refuse to give you the info you need, how do you think they'll treat you when you need service or warranty work done. For that price there's a lot of nice bikes out there. Take your time and look around.
I completely agree. I am not too fond of the only dealership we have in town. They are like "Its a Harley Davidson, don't worry about it, no one has those issues, stop reading the forums"

I think they get so many buyers who don't research, ask questions and are just excited to qualify to buy a Harley Davidson and either would not think of owning another brand and/or worse know nothing about them. I apparently ask too many questions because I see inconsistencies because I DO read these forums and am not their normal "gotta have a Harley" Harley shopper. I have refused the Kool-Aid. They know I can just as easily and comfortably buy a Victory or ride out happily on my Yamaha. It's easier to let guys like me walk..and stay on top of those who get emotionally involved in a purchase.

I don't need a Harley. I want one. But I could live without another one. But at least have some information on my bike. If I traded my bike the dealer will have all the paperwork of everything done and receipts for everything. the buyer will know when I did everything and how much it cost. N Even a diagram showing the wiring I did on the lighting accessories,,,,not too much to ask.

They also know the next guy who rides that bike and gets the tingle up their leg will not think about cam tensioners and just make an offer.

On the other hand Beach House harley in NC were great. they threw me the keys to anything i wanted to ride. Went up there to test ride an 05 RKC. Didn't do anything for me. My Yamaha was quicker and handled better. I just I could not see or feel another $7000 worth of bike. Maybe I am not HD material. Who knows. I go back and forth between the 97HP Victory King Pin which does out perform the Yamaha stock. But its a US metric AFAIC. No "soul" but as mechanically sound as mine. Sometimes I wish I had a Honda 750....The decisions would be easier.

Thanks for your insight and I agree the price is $2000 high. But I would not make an offer for $10K if the guy did not rebuild the cam plate oil pump. adj Push Rods. and tensioers as long as that stuff was out of the bike. The omission of the Stage I is speaking volumes. maybe he blew the heads and just had the 103s put in and traded it. for $8000

Old 06-16-2013 | 03:10 AM
TenMidgets
|
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by 3illy
What he said. It aint worth it brother. Maybe ask to speak with the manager since the salespersons you have spoken with can't answer your questions.
I ahve this feeling the manager does not want to deal with knowledgeable buyers. Especially when it comes down to mechanics. IF it were me I would take the couple hours and take off the cam cover and have a peak, not for me but for an additional SELLING POINT!! It may help justify the price more than a $70 chrome sprocket and belt cover and $50 Luggage rack.

Quick Reply: REALLY liked this bike but...what would you do?