Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vance & Hines fuel pak?!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2013 | 02:04 PM
jam436
Supporter

Originally Posted by Bluraven
Obviously there's love/hate opinions out there when it comes to the Fuel Pak.
If I was to buy a new stage 1 "fuel tuner" it would be a Micro EFI Tuner from Fuel Moto.
Aren't the V&H FuelPak, FuelMoto Micro EFI Tuner, and XiED/ViED's all basically the same thing, in that all they really do it add more fuel by adjusting the AFR?
AFAIK, none of the three do anything else...
(..currently running the ViED's myself, with great results...)

Old 06-11-2013 | 02:28 PM
tlb
Elite HDF Member

Hell, if you are going to say, "spend a little more" just spend a little more than that amount and get a Thundermax with autotune, which would be his best option for an 05.

Originally Posted by VETERAN75
go ahead and spend a little more and get a pcIII or pcV from jamie at fuelmoto. He will program what you need and any program changes you need he will do for free since you bought from him. It will run way better with no popping and they will also change the rev limit and improve throttle progression. I would make sure I got something that could progress with my changes in the future, ie: cams, big bore, etc. I went with the powervision since I added cams and will probably do full bigger bore later.

Old 06-11-2013 | 03:18 PM
Bluraven
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by jam436
Aren't the V&H FuelPak, FuelMoto Micro EFI Tuner, and XiED/ViED's all basically the same thing, in that all they really do it add more fuel by adjusting the AFR?
AFAIK, none of the three do anything else...
(..currently running the ViED's myself, with great results...)
The FuelPak and Micro Tuner do the same thing and that's regulate fuel input. I'm not that familiar with XiEDs but perhaps that also is the same.

The reason I would go with Micro Tuner from Fuel Moto is they will help you program it and actually tell you what each input controls so you can play a little with it.

V&H will also provide adjustment advice but will not tell you what each input controls so you have to keep calling them for any adjustments.

As for going with a "Fuel" Tuner vs. a PC5, Power vision, or Thundermax, unless you are going to a stage 2 or 3 for 90% of the people anything other than a "Fuel" Tuner is a waste of money.

As for me; as noted previously I went with the FuelPak because I got a good e-bay deal on it and I don't ever plan on going to a stage 2 or 3 and if I do, I can probably sell my FuelPak and recover at least some of my money.

Old 06-11-2013 | 03:45 PM
jam436
Supporter

Originally Posted by Bluraven
The FuelPak and Micro Tuner do the same thing and that's regulate fuel input. I'm not that familiar with XiEDs but perhaps that also is the same.

The reason I would go with Micro Tuner from Fuel Moto is they will help you program it and actually tell you what each input controls so you can play a little with it.

V&H will also provide adjustment advice but will not tell you what each input controls so you have to keep calling them for any adjustments.

As for going with a "Fuel" Tuner vs. a PC5, Power vision, or Thundermax, unless you are going to a stage 2 or 3 for 90% of the people anything other than a "Fuel" Tuner is a waste of money.

As for me; as noted previously I went with the FuelPak because I got a good e-bay deal on it and I don't ever plan on going to a stage 2 or 3 and if I do, I can probably sell my FuelPak and recover at least some of my money.
Agree with everything you said...
FuelMoto's reputation is impeccable, while V&H seems to be becoming ...ehh.
I actually had my dealer, whom I trust, tell me to save my $$ and NOT get a dyno with just a Stage 1, calling it a waste of money for what I'd actually get out of it - and to wait until you go Stage 2 with cams, etc...

Old 06-11-2013 | 06:18 PM
SameOle
Intermediate

When I first purchased my Road King I didn't plan on doing any engine mods except for V&H Dresser Dual, Monster Rounds and a Fuel Moto hi flow air cleaner so I used the FuelPac. It worked fine for what I did. I had no problems with it. No decel popping etc.

Old 06-11-2013 | 08:00 PM
elev8rguy
|
Advanced

[ATTACH][ATTACH]Vance & Hines fuel pak?!!-stefan-with-betty-and-me-with-daisy-035.jpg[/ATTACH][/ATTACH]Thanks for all the input fellas. A wealth of knowledge for sure! The bike only has 7k right now so I'm going to put some miles on her before going to stage 2,3,4 but am definitely going that route at a later date. That being said, I like the idea of having a system that will be programmable along with my progressions on the motor ie.. cams, heads, bore kit etc. I do like the auto tune function of the Dynojet powervision though. The idea of it being right there and flashing the Eprom directly with the parameters produced by a run through the gears is freaking cool! $400 bucks cool? Well, if it's still operating good come time for my upgrades we'll see.....

I really appreciate the input guys. I now know I can install something on top of the stage 1 download to get better performance and less popping out of that motor. Here a couple of pictures of Daisy (Heritage) and Betty (87FXRS) with me and my boy. He's doing drivers ed right now and can't wait to complete it so he can take a riding course to get his endorsement! LOL!! Attaboy!

Thanks elev8rguy

Attached Thumbnails Vance & Hines fuel pak?!!-stefan-with-betty-and-me-with-daisy-031.jpg   Vance & Hines fuel pak?!!-stefan-with-betty-and-me-with-daisy-034.jpg  
Old 06-11-2013 | 08:37 PM
Peteb
Novice

So I also just bought a 2010 heritage and with 3000 miles on it am changing just the mufflers to the v&h straight shots just because an older couple told me they didn't think it was a Harley because they couldn't hear it ! It originally had screamin eagles on there . The bike I thought sounded great but just not rich or loud enough. any way you mean to tell me that I'm gonna hear all this popping noises if I don't put some sort of tuner on there ?
I am new to all this stuff and can't wait to get the install done on the new slip ons . But wondering if I'm gonna really need a tuner .
Little understanding here I am new after all !

Old 06-11-2013 | 09:05 PM
elev8rguy
|
Advanced

Originally Posted by Peteb
So I also just bought a 2010 heritage and with 3000 miles on it am changing just the mufflers to the v&h straight shots just because an older couple told me they didn't think it was a Harley because they couldn't hear it ! It originally had screamin eagles on there . The bike I thought sounded great but just not rich or loud enough. any way you mean to tell me that I'm gonna hear all this popping noises if I don't put some sort of tuner on there ?
I am new to all this stuff and can't wait to get the install done on the new slip ons . But wondering if I'm gonna really need a tuner .
Hey pete, it didn't have any popping with the oem air cleaner, but once i installed the VO2 (high flow) that's when it started. Just to be tuned for the change I made. You should be fine with your oem air cleaner, but you will have to get the stage 1 download or get one of the tuners depicted above.

elev8rguy

Old 06-12-2013 | 06:35 AM
VETERAN75
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Peteb

The stock ecm has parameters good enough to cover one extra, but when you throw exhaust and intake at it, it's out of its parameters. so yes you will have popping till you get some tuner or download. The download is ok but if you really want to improve your ride to get the most out of that intake and exhaust I would get a full tuner, not a fuel tuner. Get a PCIII. The fuelmoto guys will program right if bought from them and make little changes free if needed, you can stick it on and go. They will adjust throttle response, timing, afrs, and whatever else needed. It will be way better than just a fuel tuner. I have had the harley sepst before and getting different tunes for setups as I progressed was frustrating, and they usually weren't spot on. This time I went with fuelmoto and powervision. The tune they sent in it seems to be near perfect for my setup. Fuelmoto has been doing tunes a long time now and has a pretty big database at this point. Good luck.

Old 06-12-2013 | 06:40 AM
jeffreydsilver
Ultimate HDF Member
Default +1 On The Fuelpak

I had a similar situation on my Road King - slipons with a stock air cleaner. I got a mild decel popping when I made the change so I installed a Fuelpak and the problem was solved. I will agree that if your intentions are to eventually go any further than pipes and filter you would be better of going with a more advanced programmable tuner.

Quick Reply: Vance & Hines fuel pak?!!