Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Added Engine Guards to Breakout...

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2013, 10:39 PM
crawlgsx
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by texaszman
Figured out there is a $12.97 Harley horn relocation kit (a bracket and bolts) that you can use - no threads.

Also spent 3 hours on back Texas roads and highways and found I really liked having 2 new foot positions with the Lindby Multibar - feet on the rubber rests and also having my heel on the peg and toe resting against the bar. Gonna keep em - rode 45 minutes on the highway at 70 and ride was very nice with the feet up.
Where does it move the horn?

Old 06-09-2013, 09:02 AM
texaszman
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by crawlgsx
Where does it move the horn?
It's the same bracket - just without the threads. This will allow the engine guard AND the horn bracket to mount on the same bolt.

http://www.harley-davidson.com/store...relocation-kit

Old 06-09-2013, 10:22 AM
NDBadlands4-2
Extreme HDF Member
Received 67 Likes on 57 Posts

I have had those bars on every bike I have had. Just cheap insurance in case you drop it. I like the look. I had the black version of that bar on my Night Train.

Old 06-11-2013, 11:02 PM
Chaparro78
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by texaszman
Don't know if I will keep 'em.

They are Lindby Multibar model 1311 ($249 on Ebay) - very good quality - that have rubber foot rests in their design. They have *just* enough clearance for a size 9 boot and a couple of inches. Don't know if I care for the look.

You can't keep the horn bracket if you install these - horn bracket has a hole that is threaded internally. I am looking for another way to mount the horn.

I *do* like the ability to put my feet up (5' 11") or rest my feet against the bars with my heels on the pegs. Both are comfortable positions on the highway.

Anyway - pictures for your review if you are thinking of doing the same...
Was looking for a red Breakout with an engine guard to see how it looks. Thanks for biting the bullet.

Old 06-12-2013, 12:16 PM
XARAN
Stellar HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts

Im not a fan of the look of "engine guards" on most softails. But function over form usually prevails with me and on my Fatboy I ended up with a "engine guard " for a while but changed to "Cruise Arms" before selling it.On my Road Glide I would not be without it. There is too much $ in damage if you just drop it without the guards and on the touring bikes it is a standard anyway..

Attached Thumbnails Added Engine Guards to Breakout...-fbside-guard.jpg   Added Engine Guards to Breakout...-fbcruisearm.jpg  
Old 06-12-2013, 01:06 PM
Warp Factor
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 88 Likes on 76 Posts

Xaran, tell me more about the "cruise arms", and where they come from?

Old 06-12-2013, 04:05 PM
HRCH
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would have to agree with Harley Charley, it does take away from the aggressiveness of the Breakout. But then again, I also had someone tell me that the sissy bar and sundowner passenger and driver seats I have on my breakout doesn't seem like it fits on my bike. If it works for "you" you will enjoy it. Look on the bright side, while the rest of us wishes we can stretch our legs on those long runs, you will have no problem resting your legs on the engine guard.