Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rake numbers and stability

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2013, 08:46 AM
Strongbear338
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rake numbers and stability

So I will be getting my heritage within the next 5 to 6 months, and to say I am on information overload is an understatement. One of the questions I do have concerns rake numbers. I had been on an 06 and it did not feel right, but when I got on the 2013 it felt a lot better then I went back and did some reading on specs for the two bikes and saw the 2013 actually had a lower number. This made me scratch my head a little I was under the assumption that a lower number meant the forks were closer to the bike and I thought that would make more instability but it looks like I was wrong. If someone could clear this up for me my brain would be very greatful.

Old 05-31-2013, 09:25 AM
08Nighttrain
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I was always under the understanding that the closer to the bike the more stable it is only when you start pushing out the rake and trail angles that you get the problems with shake or wobble. Thought that was why high performance street bikes have almost straight front fork set up. There is alot of info on the forum if you search rake and trail to get you going it is a scientific calculation that belongs on the hands of a mathmatician.

Old 05-31-2013, 09:40 AM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,942 Likes on 4,140 Posts

Do not think any stock Harley in the last few years is going to make any difference unless you are the type that pushes it to within a mile an hour too fast for a turn type of guy. I do however know that my Deuce has a heavy filling in the front end as compare to my friends Fat Boy and previous RoadKing. All the same years. Does not seem to matter on the open road. I know I have ridden both of his after working on them, and my first few minutes I tend to oversteer slightly, but I can tell no difference after a few. I actually think overall, the Fatboy is the best slightly over mine and the King but who in their right mind would want a bike called a Fatboy?

Old 05-31-2013, 10:06 AM
klf33
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

This topic is close to my heart, I have had a thread on that issue last week.
So here it goes, Trail is what matters, rake affects trail, but Trail is what matters.
If you rake from the Neck, your trail numbers are actually increased (bike becomes more stable or maybe to the point of too much as in heavy steering).
If you Rake from the Trees then you kick the wheel out in effect reducing the trail and creating the unstable situation. (Bike is unstable wants to wabble all the time specially at speeds).

Also note.
Larger Diameter tires will increase Trail (more stability).

I think all FL softies had 0 rake in trees for full 32 degrees rake and FX softails (hotly debated) had 2 degrees rake for full of 34 degrees rake.

On paper there is no difference between those two bikes you describe over the years, maybe it is a neck bearing situation or one of them was lowered. were they brand new ? or used bikes ?

Old 05-31-2013, 10:15 AM
hdgzr
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,598 Likes on 765 Posts

Here's some good info on the subject:
http://rbracing-rsr.com/rakeandtrail.html

Old 05-31-2013, 01:34 PM
Strongbear338
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by klf33
This topic is close to my heart, I have had a thread on that issue last week.
So here it goes, Trail is what matters, rake affects trail, but Trail is what matters.
If you rake from the Neck, your trail numbers are actually increased (bike becomes more stable or maybe to the point of too much as in heavy steering).
If you Rake from the Trees then you kick the wheel out in effect reducing the trail and creating the unstable situation. (Bike is unstable wants to wabble all the time specially at speeds).

Also note.
Larger Diameter tires will increase Trail (more stability).

I think all FL softies had 0 rake in trees for full 32 degrees rake and FX softails (hotly debated) had 2 degrees rake for full of 34 degrees rake.

On paper there is no difference between those two bikes you describe over the years, maybe it is a neck bearing situation or one of them was lowered. were they brand new ? or used bikes ?

The 06 has been around.....a lot and has been rear ended then sent to the dealership for repair the 2013 was still on the show room floor. I had heard about the larger diameter tires and that is what helped me decide on the heritage and not the dyna wide glide. I am so glad I found these forums you all are a great group of people and have helped me out a lot. I cannot wait to get my bike so I can get the picture up for my avatar.