Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Handlebar upgrade help, please

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2013, 06:17 PM
blindrocket
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Handlebar upgrade help, please

Bike: 2003 FXSTB, currently with stock bars, risers, and cables.

I have a set of 12" Wild 1's Chubby Outlawz and I'm going to buy the 1.5" risers and clamp from Wild 1's.

My question now is what cables do I need to purchase? I'd like to run as much as I can internally through the bars.

Clutch cable, brake cable, throttle cable? Which brand and what lengths? I'd like it to be just the necessity and not too long.

The other option is to just let the Indy figure it out, but I thought I may save a bit if I purchase the cables myself and also have the piece of mind I know what I'm getting.

Thanks guys, very much.

Old 05-23-2013, 06:25 PM
Sgt_Jim
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Length I can't help you, especially if you plan on going internally i'd go like +1 or 2 inches further than recommended.. really though you should call the manufacturer and ask them if someone else doesn't know on here.. they'll know best. But you're going to need throttle, return (throttle return), clutch cable, brake lines, switch-wire extensions for the turn signals and all those switches on the grips..

if you're Indy is worth half a damn, nothing wrong with letting him figure it out for you

Old 05-23-2013, 06:39 PM
SavannahBob
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you're letting a shop do the work, let them make the call. The savings from purchasing elsewhere won't be that much, especially if you buy somewhere else and then take it to him to install. And unless there's more to the story, only the wires can be run internally.

I just installed HD 12" mini-apes on my '07 Train, and perched them on 3" risers. I agonized over cables, and finally just went with the LA Choppers "kit" for 12-14" apes. All cables were Barnett, and one-piece brake line was Russell. Excellent quality, basic black, nothing fancy.

Looking back, and if I wasn't so much into the Zen of working on my bike, I would have taken it to a local shop and spent the money. Everything worked out fine, and looks good, but not everything is in the manuals. Like removing your mufflers to get 2 li'l screws out of the clutch cover, or bleeding your brakes, fishing wires, or etc, etc.

My only regret is that I didn't do it several years ago. Your back will thank you.

Just my opinion.

Old 05-23-2013, 06:43 PM
olongapo1
Road Master
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Give Magnum Shielding a call.

http://magnumshielding.com/

Old 05-23-2013, 06:50 PM
blindrocket
Road Master

OKay, thanks guys.
Sounds like I should just hand over the bars with my bike and let him go at it.

And I should ask for black braided cables?

Last edited by blindrocket; 05-23-2013 at 06:54 PM.
Old 05-23-2013, 06:53 PM
jreichart
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If you're looking to go all internal, you'll need an internal throttle setup. Exile makes a nice one, and that's what I am running.

You can run the brake line internal, I used the Russell pro system line and fittings. It's a DIY with compression style fittings and 3/16" OD line. Not DOT approved, but that only means it hasn't been tested by the govt. Russell has been making brake lines and fittings for a very long time, i trust them more than the DOT. Got all the parts from J&P, if you need some part numbers i might be able to dig them out for ya. Here's a pic of how I ran my brake line:

Once the bars are coated, you can barely see it:

You can also do an internal twist clutch from exile. It's a bit pricey, but it cleans up the left side nicely. I opted for the foot clutch/jockey and went with a Grip Ace in the left grip to be rid of the awful control pods. Good luck, sounds like a fun project! Keep us posted, and shoot me a PM if you need any more info!

Old 05-23-2013, 06:56 PM
blindrocket
Road Master

Thanks for the great info, jreichart.
Running an internal throttle is something that I definitely wanted to do.
I was originally planning on going with Nash bars and their internal throttle, but then decided to "save some money" and went with these Wild 1 Outlawz.

Old 05-23-2013, 07:06 PM
blindrocket
Road Master

I wonder about the Nash sticky throttle.

http://www.nmc.tru3.net/store/#!/~/p...950&id=1762583

Old 05-23-2013, 07:48 PM
jreichart
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Don't have any experience with the Nash, but looking at the pics on the site, the parts that make it up look very similar to the Exile unit. Only main difference is the compression mount which the exile does not have, and the "cruise" sleeve.

Old 05-23-2013, 07:58 PM
blindrocket
Road Master

Originally Posted by jreichart
Don't have any experience with the Nash, but looking at the pics on the site, the parts that make it up look very similar to the Exile unit. Only main difference is the compression mount which the exile does not have, and the "cruise" sleeve.
They are having a 20% off sale this weekend, so it would be a pretty good savings. Perhaps I should jump on it.

Which risers did you go with, jreichart?

Last edited by blindrocket; 05-23-2013 at 08:00 PM.

Quick Reply: Handlebar upgrade help, please