Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Driving through standing water

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2013, 10:05 PM
DirtyThirty
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Driving through standing water

Ok so did a search, but might not have been using the right key words as I came up with nothing. Coming back from a ride I had no choice but to drive the the small lake covering the road. I was going maybe 15mph when I did this if not slower so as not to get my jeans even more soaked. Anyway when I pull up to the driveway to open the gate she dies at idle. Started back up no problem, but had to keep giving gas to keep her going so I could get through the gate and into the yard. I have no garage or car port to park her under, so she is out in the rain right now. Question is I'm sure I've sucked some water down the intake, do need to tear the carb apart and clean it out, or just start her up and run it out of the system? I plan to check the oil to see if it looks milky, and the trans as well once it stops raining.

Old 05-19-2013, 10:40 PM
klf33
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

You actually rode the bike all way for water up to the 'Intake" ! that is where your Air Filter is ? I find that hard to believe, your bike would die if the water reaches the Muffler level .

Old 05-19-2013, 10:55 PM
DirtyThirty
Cruiser

It wasn't deep enough to reach the air filter if it wasn't splashing up over everything. I made it through the water with no issue it was once I came to a stop that she wanted to die on me without giving some gas. I probably should have stated in my first post for consideration. I have a K&N filter without the stock football as I cut out the center of the football for a cover. I got comfortable, and was half dozin off when I made this thread that is why I put driving instead of riding.

Old 05-19-2013, 10:58 PM
klf33
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

No Problems, I think you cover your air filter over night, should be fine tomorrow morning, you can simply just wrap a plastic bag or something.

Let us know how it goes tomorrow.

Old 05-19-2013, 11:08 PM
DirtyThirty
Cruiser

Will do, and while I had my mind on it I took some advice I was given about a week ago, and have a Mikuni on the way. Gotta treat the scoot to something nice since she was packed away for a year and a half, and about to be packed up for a month or two when I transfer in July.

Old 05-20-2013, 06:08 AM
TalonIILM
Cruiser

Riden many bikes over the years, never have driven one. Is that a trike thing?

Old 05-20-2013, 06:38 AM
Warp Factor
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 88 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by TalonIILM
Riden many bikes over the years, never have driven one. Is that a trike thing?
Someone who is riding a bike could be a passenger. If someone is driving a bike, it makes the situation a little more clear.
Are you sure you've never driven one? (wink)

Old 05-20-2013, 07:15 AM
In Memoriam Citoriplus
May our Moderator Rest in Peace
Received 29 Likes on 18 Posts

I'm thinking you just got too much water in the air filter and its just choking it off at low RPM's.
Just let it dry out, take it off and bring it inside if you have to.
It should be fine just as soon as it dry's out.

Old 05-20-2013, 10:31 PM
DirtyThirty
Cruiser

Yeah was a little tired from getting comfortable, and warming up after putting on dry clothing. I was riding solo. Also I only asked because I'm still a novice when it comes to working on, and even riding my bike. I've mostly tinkered with some cars mostly fuel injected. I've heard other people (they might have been just exaggerating a little) talk about how they fouled out a carb going through water. I started her up after taking the grocery bag off the air cleaner, and worked as advertised. I do need to get some more oil for the K&N after it got a nice bath yesterday. Thanks for all the replies.

Old 05-20-2013, 11:50 PM
In Memoriam Citoriplus
May our Moderator Rest in Peace
Received 29 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by DirtyThirty
I do need to get some more oil for the K&N after it got a nice bath yesterday.
Maybe, maybe not.
In any event after the soaking you gave it, it probably wouldn't hurt to get hold of a recharge kit and use it to make sure its clean and properly oiled.

Quick Reply: Driving through standing water