Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Newby - First Harley!

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2013 | 07:13 PM
Mr. Ego
|
Intermediate
Default Newby - First Harley!

Hello Everyone,

I have never been on a bike before, I am a bicycle rider, I was diagnosed with Testicular Cancer last year at 36 and I vouched if I felt better I would accomplish one of my life dreams of learning how to Ride and buying my first Harley.

Well - I am in perfect condition, just took the MSF class and in the process of buying my first Harley! I wanted to run by this group a few things:

First started looking for a few 2010 through 2012... Even when I knew nothing about Harley, fell in-love with the Fat Boy Lo for some reason. Now that I learned the basics of riding I like it even more.

As we stand - I feel that I managed to make a steel deal on a 2013 Fat Boy Lo... And wanted some validation that I am on the right track.

1) Is it a bad idea for me to start on a Fat Boy Lo?
2) I worked a complete deal delivered door to door for $18000 for the following options:

- 2013 Fat Boy Lo, Brand New in Denim Black
- Security Option: ABS + Security
- Vance & Hines Pipes, Flat Black Big 2 in 2 Radius "Love Those Pipes"
- Engine Guard

Can you guys please look at these and let me know what you think?
Also - seem to be intimidated by a couple of things, just getting on the road and all the trash talking from some of my friends that are intellectual VP professionals that are Suzuki Riders... trying to understand the politics behind it all...

I am a BMW enthusiast in cars owned M5, M3, etc... so is it similar to that world where the haters that can't afford it "don't want to pay for the good product" ...

Thanks and look forward to being your fellow rider.
Keep two on the road!

Regards,
JJ

Old 05-19-2013 | 07:31 PM
spoonie
Tourer

I ignore the haters. Two wheels in the wind is what it is all about for me. Doesn't matter much what you ride. Me, I prefer HD. Some of my best friends own Yamaha (i rode an 1100 classic for years). Haters are gonna hate for whatever reasons their tiny little minds can come up with. If you worry about what others say or think you are wasting too much time that could be spent in the wind. Ride for the love of rideing not for the machine that carries you.
Or so it seems to me.....
Nice bike by the way

Old 05-19-2013 | 07:53 PM
Bluraven
Grand HDF Member

Once a bike speaks to you, the price is secondary as long as it within reason.

Sounds like you found your bike for a price that you can live with.
As long as you're OK with the deal, does it really matter what anyone else thinks?

My advice; Go buy it!!!!

Ride Safe

Old 05-19-2013 | 08:10 PM
Pravda
Tourer

My honest opinion is starting on a FatBoy is not a good idea.
I would start on a much lighter bike.

Have you taken the FatBoy for a test ride?

Old 05-19-2013 | 08:23 PM
Snowyone
Road Captain
Smile right choice

It's the perfect bike to start with. Low to the ground, smooth, fun, and easy to maneuver and you'll never outgrow it if you're like me. Good choice and have fun.

Old 05-19-2013 | 08:26 PM
Mr. Ego
|
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Pravda
My honest opinion is starting on a FatBoy is not a good idea.
I would start on a much lighter bike.

Have you taken the FatBoy for a test ride?
Thanks for the response Pravda - I was worried about that...
However, I felt that it was not top heavy like the other bikes and the center of gravity was so low - i felt in control.... I did ride it a bit in the parking lot, that's as far they would let me go.... Didnt bother me at all... however, different from the 250CC I learned on....

Didn't car for any of the smaller bikes to be honest.... I just think this one spoke to me, my plan is to spend a lot of time in my neighborhood before I hit the road, they probably will hate those V&H pipes....

Why do you think it is not a good idea? too heavy? I am looking for honest advice... give it to me friend.

Old 05-19-2013 | 08:26 PM
Mr. Ego
|
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Snowyone
It's the perfect bike to start with. Low to the ground, smooth, fun, and easy to maneuver and you'll never outgrow it if you're like me. Good choice and have fun.
Super Awesome... That's what I felt... Will post pictures when It is here...
Give it a few weeks, coming from another state!

Old 05-19-2013 | 09:42 PM
tbonetony06
Outstanding HDF Member

Welcome, congratulations and God bless your good health. There are reasons why there are "Haters" out there and reasons why they are called as such. In my opinion starting with what you want is the only way to go. The best and only advice I can give to you as a newbie is that to assume every car you see is getting ready to hit you. If you see a car coming up to a stop sign or light horizontally, assume they do not see you and be ready to take evasive action. I don't say that to scare you, I say that to prepare you. If I see a ball out of the corner of my eyes I assume a child is right behind it. I ride on alert 100% of the time, every time and all the time.

Old 05-19-2013 | 10:00 PM
NoRegerts
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Navy

If that's the bike you want, then get it. There are lighter bikes out there but it doesn't matter. Safe riding is safe riding. The basics are the same, and you've taken the course so that is a great step.

Post pics when you get everything. As far as you price, no, not bad at all. $17400 base price and the pipes are about $900 so right there you're not bad.

Old 05-19-2013 | 10:24 PM
DirtyThirty
Cruiser

I myself started out on my 2002 Softail Standard. I took the MSF on the 250 Rebel, and just took it easy getting a feel for the bike. Some say a big heavy bike it to much for a beginner, but just remember to ride within your comfort zone, and skill level. If you can find a good group of guys to ride with that helps. I hadn't really ridden much but to work and back (maybe a mile) before going out on a group ride. I went riding with a couple members from here, and they told me to just keep comfortable, and if I don't think I can keep up don't try. Good group of guys that I'm gonna miss when I leave Hawaii. Sorry for the rant, but basically if you can find a good group to ride with that will help as well. Enjoy the new scoot.

Quick Reply: Newby - First Harley!