Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Newby - First Harley!

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2013 | 06:47 AM
Josewales
Road Warrior

Gratz!

Keep an eye on the steering....week after I got mine, I got a mean wobble at 40 mph+ and had to take it in to get adjusted. I heard similar stories on the LO.

The only complaint I had with the Lo was the handlebars. Soon as you hit some mean 360 gusts on the highway, it became work. In turn a windshield was a must. My aftermarket bars cuts through it like butter now and the windshield is only an option now.

One you get the wheels turning, it drives itself

Old 06-10-2013 | 09:17 AM
hdgzr
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Mr. Ego
Lets go riding! Maybe you have the patience to tach me something...
Hell, the only thing I could teach you is not do what I do. But I'd be honored to share a little saddle time with ya'...

Old 06-10-2013 | 10:48 PM
Mr. Ego
|
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Railman
JJ,
Congrats on all of your accomplishments! Glad you beat cancer and followed your heart on the FB Lo. I bought my preowned 2012 Heritage in December of last year. It was my first Harley and the first bike I'd been on in over 20 years. I didn't have a license and hadn't taken a rider safety course at the time, but I knew, like you, it was the right thing. The 280 mile trip home in below freezing weather was a ride I'll never forget. I was aprehensive to say the least. The dynamics were different than the Kawasaki 440 LTD I'd last ridden. The curves were the most notable difference. I got it home and parked it, mostly, for two weeks before I could get into a rider safety course and then get my license. I have since put over 4000 miles on my bike. Take your time, gain your confidence and skill. Be especially watchfull at intersections, including driveways, and in large store or mall type parking lots. A Sheriff's deputy, cutting across lanes, and I nearly had an incident. If I had not been watching, there would have been a collision. Fortunately, I was able to take evasive action. I was angry and he was embarrased.... rightfully so on both counts.

I'm only about 6 hours from you and if I get up your way, I'll give you a shout. Fat Boy was my first real HD crush.

Ride smart, ride safe, and God speed!

Jeff
Brother - amazing post here.... Show up at my door step in Edmond ok, I will make you some amazing BBQ on my green egg and we will go riding ... Thanks for sharing! Totally cool dude!

Old 06-11-2013 | 12:11 AM
Helrazor
Cruiser

its not too heavy if you ride it with respect and understand the risk, if you hop on and think you can throw it around like a ten speed or a dirt bike your probably gonna crash, ride safe and dont get too complacent you will have many miles of Fatboy fun

Old 06-11-2013 | 12:45 PM
Car Doc
Road Master

Talking about first Harley...My Sportster threw me down 3 times in the first month! I caught my pant legs on both side mid pegs at stop signs and went over both ways embarrassing to say the least.
Then pulling into my gravel driveway coming home from work she backfired killed the engine and locked the rear wheel up and dumped me again sonofa.

I started thinking I wasn't meant to ride street bikes then I rode this EFI Heritage and traded the Sporty in on it right then its all history now. This bike is the friendliest easiest to ride bike I ever rode and it out weighs all of the bikes I had previously easily by 2-300 lbs. Oh this bike has never once even acted like it wanted to go over its so stable its unreal.

Softails are awesome bikes is what I am sortof getting at you will like yours I am sure.

Last edited by Car Doc; 06-11-2013 at 12:50 PM.
Old 06-16-2013 | 12:59 PM
Mr. Ego
|
Intermediate

Amazing Update - it's only been a few days riding my Harley.

1) for the very first time today, I actually scraped my foot-board on a lean / turn at a light, and that was just an outstanding feeling for me!

2) when I run into bikers - in parking lots, they are just pretty cool!

3) this Harley is teaching me: Respect + discipline + patience....

I am trying my best not to do anything stupid or get over confident.

Thought I would share - thanks for the support guys!
Cheers - JJ